Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Ireland Engineering Big Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:09 AM
n3nyongmini
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ireland Engineering Big Brake Upgrade

Anybody have it or seen it?

https://secure17.nexternal.com/share...products%2Easp

I am interetsed but would like to know more from "users" than the site description:

New Product - This kit uses the factory caliper which is relocated to accept a much larger rotor. This is an economical way to increase braking. Requires 17" wheels. Kit includes 324mm (12.75")diameter vented rotors with billet aluminum center, mounting brackets, hardware, and Stainless Steel braided hoses. This is a "bolt on" and does not require any special tools. This kit fit all the factory 17" wheels with out spacers.

I'm not into the BBK look, just looking for a performance upgrade, but I'd still be interested in a picture or two.

Derek

Old 02-09-2006, 11:47 AM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
after 20K my brakes are getting a little wornout, nothing serious yet, i still have 4-5K left, so i will be following this, unless somebody gets a group buy on a BBK, i am considering this against JCW brake kit. Ireland Engineering is pretty serious company, i remember talking to them, they are very knowledgable, did you try Todd? he is around here, and listed under vendors. Let me know Derek, we are both in SA, remember

Old 02-09-2006, 12:02 PM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is an interesting alternative. I was surprised a little by the price - $625.00. Todds 11.75 kit - with directional racing rotors, not garden variety venting - includes the lines, aluminum hats, SS lines, pads AND a the 4 piston caliper for about $1,000.00.

Interesting trade-off. $400.00 is $400.00 though.

Old 02-09-2006, 01:15 PM
DrPhilGandini
My little dose of LITHIUM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Having just gone the TCE route, I'd say that you get what you pay for, with a little random noise thrown in. Brembo and AP Racing are expensive but big name kits. The TCE is a full kit at a reasonable price ($1700 for all 4 corners.) The Powerslot and other kits that use stock calipers are less expensive, but you don't get everything you get with the other kits, so they should be cheaper.
There are differences between all these options, including braking on the track, weight, and bling. Thanks to differences in tastes, all the kits are selling to MINI owners!

cheers,

Old 02-09-2006, 03:51 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that this is one of the most expensive dumbest mods around. Someone please tell me anything benificial that this thing would offer, especially for that kind of money.
Yikes .....

Old 02-09-2006, 03:57 PM
n3nyongmini
4th Gear
'Sled-

Please clarify. Your opinions are welcome, but if you've got a strong one, lets hear your reasons, K?

Thanks

Derek

Old 02-09-2006, 04:17 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't buy it...moving a standard caliper designed for a specific diameter rotor outwards changes the friction interface with the pads. One, I'm not sure what this will do to the pad and two, how does this improve braking other than moving the fulcrum point outwards from center. This is an improvement but it still has the same contact area as it is using the same stock pad surface area. To improve braking for less money, I'd buy stock sized slotted rotors and better pads...unless it's the expedient way of getting a BBK "look" that you're after

Old 02-09-2006, 04:27 PM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
I don't buy it...moving a standard caliper designed for a specific diameter rotor outwards changes the friction interface with the pads. One, I'm not sure what this will do to the pad and two, how does this improve braking other than moving the fulcrum point outwards from center.
Well, yes and maybe. One of the things it does is to increase the swept area of the brake because of the larger diameter rotor. That would tend to reduce the heat on the disc. The larger diameter rotor also gives greater leverage, which would to some degree increase the effectiveness of the brakes. It's like using a longer lever with the same fulcrum point to move a rock. The longer lever gives you more multiplication of your force.

Is it worth it? Is it even a noticeable difference? I've got no idea. But in theory it might make some improvement.

For my money, though, I'd put better pads and rotors on and save up for a real big brake kit if I felt my brakes weren't adequate.

Old 02-09-2006, 05:13 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by SpunkytheTuna
Well, yes and maybe. One of the things it does is to increase the swept area of the brake because of the larger diameter rotor. That would tend to reduce the heat on the disc. The larger diameter rotor also gives greater leverage, which would to some degree increase the effectiveness of the brakes. It's like using a longer lever with the same fulcrum point to move a rock. The longer lever gives you more multiplication of your force.

Is it worth it? Is it even a noticeable difference? I've got no idea. But in theory it might make some improvement.

For my money, though, I'd put better pads and rotors on and save up for a real big brake kit if I felt my brakes weren't adequate.
Yes, I agree and that's what I thought I said in different words but is it worth it is my question too...I think DT's Wilwood kit is only a few hundred above that but is a true BBK.

Old 02-09-2006, 06:55 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Well this is going to be interesting.I do not sell these and we do not plan on adding them to our line but I actually have the items in question and have put about 18k miles on them in the last year. My reasons for going this route are perhaps different than most. My show/ street wheels are very brake unfriendly. I was at Brembo when I first got the car and the tech calculated that I would need 25 mm spacers to make them fit. Well I am old school when it comes to spacers and 2.5 mm is too much for me so those were out of the question. I wanted better braking but did not want to give up my wheels. I tried slotted and drilled and burned through 2 sets. Drilled do not like the track or Tuna Canyon for that matter. When these became available and we realized that they would fit my wheels with NO spacers and I decided to give them a try. They also work with stock S lites and I do not know of many brake kits that do.
Performance wise where I noticed a change is in brake fade or lack thereof . You do use the same calipers but the added mass of material helps dissipate the heat. Also the leverage factor mentioned in earlier posts also helps the performance. I liked the fact that I was making a change at both ends of the car and not just bolting a BBK on the front . I know the front does the lion's share of the work but when I hit them hard the whole car squats in a uniform manner and not just diving in the front. I believe there is a upgrade to willwood calipers available for those that prefer that but it would have put me back into " spacer ville " again.
To sum it up I think these are aimed at people that may want to upgrade their brake performance a degree, still use stock wheels or ones that have a hard time with BBK and yes even those just going for the look. Hope this helps shed some light on the subject.
With regards to the pictures I took them overly bright so you can see more detail of the rotors.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 02-09-2006, 07:01 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Well hell Randy...I take my words back now that I know you're using them Good to hear from someone with actual experience with this product. Certainly gives me another perspective to look at...

Old 02-09-2006, 07:02 PM
onasled
Banned
OH MY.....
Looser!

Old 02-09-2006, 07:11 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear

Originally Posted by onasled
OH MY.....
Looser!

Old 02-09-2006, 07:24 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
I knew I was in for it on this one LOL

Randy
m7 Tuning

Old 02-09-2006, 07:27 PM
K9MINI
4th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by onasled
OH MY.....
Looser!

Hey at least his car has wheels and such...... had to do it

PSS9s came to my door yesterday

Old 02-09-2006, 07:43 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
[QUOTE=K9MINI]Hey at least his car has wheels and such...... had to do it

EXACTLY. Out here when they repo a car they take the entire thing just not most of the parts

Randy

Old 02-09-2006, 07:48 PM
scobib
5th Gear
Wouldn't the larger rotor take longer to get hot?

Old 02-09-2006, 07:57 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
The theory is that the more mass ( bigger rotor ) you have the longer it will take to get hot and the quicker it will dissapate the heat. Thats the idea anyway.

Randy
m7 Tuning

Old 02-09-2006, 08:00 PM
scobib
5th Gear
Originally Posted by maxmini
The theory is that the more mass ( bigger rotor ) you have the longer it will take to get hot and the quicker it will dissapate the heat. Thats the idea anyway.
Right... and if properly vaned, would do it even better...

Old 02-09-2006, 08:06 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
They are vented which does help. The way I look at it a complete kit for four wheels WITH stainless braded lines lines for $ 1235 can't be all bad.

Randy
m7 Tuning

Old 02-09-2006, 09:23 PM
CFMINI
4th Gear
Randy -
When Will Turner drove your car on the track, did he have any comments about your brakes?

Old 02-09-2006, 09:36 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
He said he was more used to the immediate halt at the initiation of the braking procedure of his stop tech setup in his mini. His car is also a bit lighter than mine. He did not see any fade just that there was not the same big hit when you first mash the pedal.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Last edited by maxmini; 02-10-2006 at 12:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
The plus size rotor concept is somthing I have used on SUV's with 4's - and other extremely heavy packages. It really helps get the mounds of unsrpung mass slowed in truck apllications. Baer produced the +1 applications for years, and now powerslot offers them also.

Alex

Old 11-08-2006, 09:44 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Anyone else have any new input on this brake upgrade? I need front and back rotors soon on my daily driver and cant decide if I should just stay stock size since I am still job hunting or if I should go this route. Stock size does look a little silly on the 19's though. The other 4-corner kits are too expensive right now and are not an option (underlined to deter more expensive kit reccommendations), so this may be the only way to go.

Old 11-09-2006, 06:08 AM
Brain1.0
Manufacturer
Originally Posted by maxmini
Well this is going to be interesting.I do not sell these and we do not plan on adding them to our line but I actually have the items in question and have put about 18k miles on them in the last year. My reasons for going this route are perhaps different than most. My show/ street wheels are very brake unfriendly. I was at Brembo when I first got the car and the tech calculated that I would need 25 mm spacers to make them fit. Well I am old school when it comes to spacers and 2.5 mm is too much for me so those were out of the question. I wanted better braking but did not want to give up my wheels. I tried slotted and drilled and burned through 2 sets. Drilled do not like the track or Tuna Canyon for that matter. When these became available and we realized that they would fit my wheels with NO spacers and I decided to give them a try. They also work with stock S lites and I do not know of many brake kits that do.
Performance wise where I noticed a change is in brake fade or lack thereof . You do use the same calipers but the added mass of material helps dissipate the heat. Also the leverage factor mentioned in earlier posts also helps the performance. I liked the fact that I was making a change at both ends of the car and not just bolting a BBK on the front . I know the front does the lion's share of the work but when I hit them hard the whole car squats in a uniform manner and not just diving in the front. I believe there is a upgrade to willwood calipers available for those that prefer that but it would have put me back into " spacer ville " again.
To sum it up I think these are aimed at people that may want to upgrade their brake performance a degree, still use stock wheels or ones that have a hard time with BBK and yes even those just going for the look. Hope this helps shed some light on the subject.
With regards to the pictures I took them overly bright so you can see more detail of the rotors.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Well stated Randy! I have the same setup on my car and I have beat the crap out of the brakes with no issues at all. If you are looking for bling these wont do it though

Another thing to consider is many brake mfg's make an upgraded pad for the stock calipers so there are many choices as far as pad material goes. The feel of the pedal is like stock but it stops like crazy!

Quick Reply: Ireland Engineering Big Brake Upgrade