Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Final Rim/Tire Choice, Fit & Order Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 08:19 PM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Final Rim/Tire Choice, Fit & Order Questions.

Okay, I think I've narrowed this down. It's been a difficult journey, looking for a new set of rims that will satisfy me, be (reasonably) affordable, lightweight enough, and fit. Finding a set of wheels that meets all of those needs has been a lot less fulfilling an experience than I would've hoped, mainly because it's just so hard to find good application info on the web.

I've mostly given up on getting something super lightweight and attractive. The O.Z. Superleggera, or the Ultraleggera, at Tire Rack, seems like a pretty darn good wheel, at about 14.5 pounds each in a 16x7" size. These wheels are about $170 a piece, plus whatever discount I may get as a member here. I'm not sure how that discount works, so any info on that would be appreciated. The style is not really the mesh web-spoke design I was hoping for, but they are both nice and open (to show off my larger brake discs), classy, and yet sporty as well.

Also on my short list is the WheelMax SportMax 941 (pic below on left). A nice, 10 spoke, glossy black wheel with a polished metal lip, and polished metal screws around the rim. I like the look of this wheel best overall, for a LY/B CVT MC that has the exterior chrome option. They are about $110 each, in a 16x7/4-100, 40 offset fitament. However, I've yet to discover the weight of this wheel, which I at the very least...suspect is more than 14.5 lbs. WheelMax never responded to my weight request on this wheel, which doesn't surprise me, as they don't have the greatest customer service reputation out there.

I'm also still mildly interested in the Alt 148 (pic below on right), which is the most mesh styled of the bunch, with sharper spoke edges than the SportMax 941, but with some nice in, out, and back in again curves to the spokes from the center cap, rather like the 941. (The O.Z. wheels are rather more "flat", which is what bothers me about them.) Unfortunately the center cap is red, but I suspect that can be changed, right? (It bugs a lady friend of mine, for some reason, and I suspect she has good stylistic reasons for feeling so.) Pricing is about the same as the 941 as well. The 16x7 offset is about 38, and the wheel wheighs in at about 18 lbs. I'm unclear at this point on whom I'd order this wheel from...if I do order it.

Now for some questions. Since I'll be having a local tire shop do the install (likely Big O Tires), should I have the shop order the wheels for me? Or should I have them shipped to me? I live in apartment, so I'm not sure I want the wheels shipped to me, though I guess I could always pick them up from UPS whenever I get the chance. Will I be using my current wheel attachment bolts to mount, or are different bolts going to be sent with the wheels? Will a wheel offset of 38-40 be an okay fit for my car, since I now have slightly larger disc brakes installed? (They are just a standard upgrade size, nothing wildly large. My current wheels are the 15" 7-hole OEM size, and there is no issue.)

I'm looking to increase ground clearance, for Winter driving, so I'm looking to get 215/55-16 size tires for these wheels, which would give me an overal wheel/tire diameter size of 25.3". According to available charts, there should be no tire rub issue. I've not found anything anywhere that says this would be a bad wheel tire fit, but I'd like to know if anyone here feels otherwise. A 205/55-16 tire would also be okay, I guess, and would be somewhat cheaper, though it gives me less extra clearance than I'd prefer. I'm seriously looking at getting a set of Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S tires for these wheels. (I'm openn to other tire suggestions.) They would run about $115 to $130 a piece, which is not cheap, but I highly value a good tire, and I think the extra expense is worth it. I can order these through Tire Rack, but maybe I should just have my local shop deal with that as well. I'm not sure what all the issues are when it comes to that, so any advice would be much appreciated. If there is anything else I should know, that I've forgotten to ask, please let me know.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:33 PM
BillyB
3rd Gear
This is one of the O.Z. wheels in question. A little plain, but not bad looking, eh? I think the spokes on the Ultraleggera (not shown) are a little too thin looking, though it's available in an anthracite type finish...which is inexplicably about one pound heavier than the silver finished version. Wheel offset of this one here is +37mm.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:42 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
if you are going to get OZ, get the ultraleggeras, looks cool, newer, 17s are 37mm offset, might be a problem.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:43 PM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Okay, I guess I kind of like these, the Ultraleggeras, as well. Recommended tire sizes for all of these wheels is 195/55-16, which is why I ask if a 215/55-16 tire would be an okay fit. Would there be any install issues? I don't want to go any larger than a 16x7 wheel, in order to get a good all around level of street performance, with a decent ride...in an okay wheel weight. I've no idea if a +37mm offset will be a problem. So far, research on my part has said no, but...I'm not the best researcher.

Old 02-14-2006, 08:51 PM
BillyB
3rd Gear
ScuderiaMini, how do you like your JCW cold air intake? A CAI is in my future, somewhere, and I'm still unsure of which one I will finally settle on. Price is something of an issue...as I already spend way too much on this car. mostly just to own the darn thing. LOL

Old 02-14-2006, 09:34 PM
BillyB
3rd Gear
This is a useful MM2 link for pictures and wheel weight information on a variety of rims that will fit Mini Coopers. Sadly, it's not been of much use to me personally, except for some O.Z. pics and wheel weight info, which I've already been able to get at The Tire Rack's site.

http://www.mini2.com/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/586

Because MM2 is an international site of British origin, some of the wheels shown will be unfamiliar, or otherwise not generally available, to us here in the States. It would be cool if we could get a wheel gallery like that going here.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:22 AM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
If you're going to purchase the rims at Tire Rack, give Alex Mouroulis a call (their MINI expert) and ask about wheel offset/tire size combos and fitment etc.

Also, if you give them your zip code Tire Rack can arrange to deliver the wheels to one of their recommended installers local to you to have the tires mounted/balanced. Tire rack usually ship their rims with all necessary hardware too, such as hubcentric rings and new lug bolts (if needed).

You can't go wrong with Tire Rack; highly recommended

Old 02-15-2006, 08:35 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BillyB
ScuderiaMini, how do you like your JCW cold air intake? A CAI is in my future, somewhere, and I'm still unsure of which one I will finally settle on. Price is something of an issue...as I already spend way too much on this car. mostly just to own the darn thing. LOL
Check out gabe's review and the comments that follow (should be a few down from the top): www.motoringfile.com

mb

Old 02-15-2006, 08:16 PM
BillyB
3rd Gear
Ah yes, I'd forgotten the JCW CAI is only for the MCS. I have an MC. Perhaps the Promini CAI might be for me, except the possible hood rubbing issue bothers me a bit. I hate having to make blind adjustments to a product that should install right the first time.

Either way, thank you for the link over there to Motoring File. I read all the other reviews, and so now I'm sold on ordering the MCAW standard (auto up) circuit. I'm very excited about getting that. I've not played around with modding my MC much, especially in recent months. I don't know why, because it generally (despite the occasional frustrations involved) leaves me feeling pretty darn good when I do.

Oh yeah, now I remember why I don't do much modding. It's because I'm poor! LOL

I just made an appoinment with my Mini dealership (Niello Mini of Sacramento, decent Mini service, but don't ever BUY a Mini there!) to get my old, broken up, splash shield and radiator carrier replaced. All set up to be done a week after I get the new, larger, wheels and tires installed, so I won't have to worry (not too much anyway) about those parts getting thrashed all over again. All very exciting, and pricey too, so I guess I'd better take a break from all this modding pretty soon, eh?

Old 02-15-2006, 08:20 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
if i owned a MC, which i would not mind having one, i truely would focus on handling. Power gains are not so much compared to what you will spend. However i know couple of MCs that really keeps up very well, exceeding my expectations on deadly Hill Country roads.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:45 PM
MINIAC
6th Gear
Received 94 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyB

This is a useful MM2 link for pictures and wheel weight information on a variety of rims that will fit Mini Coopers.

http://www.mini2.com/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/586

Because MM2 is an international site of British origin, some of the wheels shown will be unfamiliar, or otherwise not generally available, to us here in the States.
13,000 of the 33,000 users registered on MINI2 are from the US

Old 02-17-2006, 12:32 PM
fishbulb
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what about the ASA AR1's?

You said in the other post that you like the mesh style rims, have you considered the ASA AR1? ASA is liscensed by BBS, and the AR1 is a great looking mesh rim that comes in 15, 16 & 17 inch sizes...

I have had two different sets of ASA rims with no problems.

Old 02-17-2006, 06:39 PM
BillyB
3rd Gear
I'm not familiar with that wheel being in 16x7" or 16x6.5", the wheel size I'd decided to go with, or perhaps it's a little on the heavy side? Or maybe just way too expensive for me? I'm not sure, I'll take another look to see why I didn't consider it.

I ordered the Ultraleggeras the other day, along with a set of Michelins to go with them, but changed my mind last night, and had to change the order this morning. I won't get the wheels in until next week. I decided to change to the Superleggeras, as the few pictures out there of the Ultraleggeras on actual cars...just didn't look right, even though it's a nice looking wheel. The Superleggeras aren't as modern, or wild looking, but seem to help a car look just a little bit sportier, and classier, without being distracting. I found quite a few pics of Superleggeras on cars, including a few Minis, and they look so much better in real life than they do in the Tire Rack configurator.

I should've paid more attention to that sort of thing before, but I luckily was able to change the order in the nick of time, just before the tires were mounted, balanced, and the wheels shipped. I'm much relieved that I'm going a more conservative route, but sorry I couldn't get a real nice mesh design that would work for my needs. I think it will all turn out okay, but I still won't know for sure until next week, and the waiting is killing me, almost as much as waiting for my Mini to be delivered almost killed me. LOL

Old 02-17-2006, 07:04 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
currently i am using them and very happy by the way they look, and you know what? they are on;y $179.00, if anything happens, so let be it.

Originally Posted by fishbulb
You said in the other post that you like the mesh style rims, have you considered the ASA AR1? ASA is liscensed by BBS, and the AR1 is a great looking mesh rim that comes in 15, 16 & 17 inch sizes...

I have had two different sets of ASA rims with no problems.

Old 05-21-2006, 02:59 PM
UKCoopeR
5th Gear
anyone figure out why the Bright Silver Ultraleggeras weigh half a pound less than the Graphite Silver? I looking at getting 16x7 Ultraleggeras but cant decide on the color, i have an IB/W with white stripes. and i figure if i cant decide might as well just get the ligher ones anyone have pics or good with photoshop? or any suggestions?

cant weight till i get rid of these runflats, i am gonna get 205/50/16 or 205/45/16 F1 GS-D3s (package with locking nuts from tirerack) i heard lots o good things about them. while this is a mostly street car i do a few track days a year, i think this tires will hold up, is that true? i will also start autocrossing soon but i will prolly put falken rt-615 or something on the stock rims so that i am still in h-stock. cant afford two set of rims...yet