Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

My Rims are finally in! Check em out!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2006, 12:02 PM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Rims are finally in! Check em out!

I have been waiting for this rims FOREVER, and they are finally in... I got the tires mounted this morning, and I'll have them on my MCS this afternoon!!!

The wheels are Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2's in 15"X7"

The tires are BFGoodrich GForce Sports in 225/50/R15 and they look AWESOME!

My coworker came with me to pick these up from Sullivan Tire (only place nearby that has a Road Force balancer) and when he picked it up he said "Damn these are light! That's insane!"... I was pleased

Check em out below...

Old 03-09-2006, 12:04 PM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
And some more...

Just some other preliminary pics... I'll upload some more tonight once they are mounted.

Old 03-09-2006, 12:33 PM
kapps
6th Gear
WHOA Those are wide. I hope they fit. When you get them on, can you post some clearances?

Old 03-09-2006, 12:36 PM
ScuderiaMini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
isn't it beautiful? I trunk full of new tires and wheels..... gotta love it don't make us wait on the pics please...

Old 03-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Looks good!

How'd you like the Road Force? Did you get to watch?

Matt

Old 03-09-2006, 12:42 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Excellent! Are you sure those badboys won't rub? Does anyone know? I'd love a set of 15-ers with nice wide chunks of rubber for my commute.

mb

Old 03-09-2006, 01:00 PM
blalor
6th Gear
What's the offset of those? I'm also doing 225/50/15 on a 15x7. :-)

Old 03-09-2006, 01:39 PM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
So let's see here:

-No I am not SURE they won't rub, but there are a couple other folks on here running very similar setups and they report no problems. Even Alex from the Tirerack (where I got the tires) said it shouldn't be a problem with this offset. I think if they clear, they will JUST clear, but I will post info as soon as I have it!

-The offset of these wheels is 48 I think, as its the only number stamped on the back of the hub, but OutMotoring.com (where I got them) lists the TD PR1's (the predecessor to these) as having an offset of 45... so maybe in changed.?

-Anyway, I think they look friggin' awesome, and I am contemplating leaving work early to go put them on!

I'll post pics of them installed as soon as I can!

RM2k5

Old 03-09-2006, 01:43 PM
kapps
6th Gear
Wow, 48 offset!!! I'd be very surprised if you could run them without a spacer. My stock S Lites have less than a finger width to clear the front struts... and 225's add another 1/2" to the equation. I was thinking a +40 to 42 offset should work. We'll find out soon enough.

Old 03-09-2006, 01:48 PM
RED FURY
5th Gear
Wash that car !!! Shame on you ...

Old 03-09-2006, 03:39 PM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
Some preliminary Pics...

OK Folks, here is what I have...

-First of all, I have a VERY DIRTY MINI! But it is going to RAIN tonight and tomorrow, so I have a good reason to wait until that passes... then 60 degrees all weekend long!

-Second, I have some crappy night time pics of my new wheels on the MCS... They suck, but it's all I could get at the moment.

-Third, I have good news! They fit just fine... not that its not CLOOSE but it still a finger width to the struts up front, and a little less than that to the trailing link in the back. I drove around the neighborhood, and it seems fine. I check full lock on both sides of the steering, and no rubbing (but reaaal close :-)

-Fourth, I am a little worried how far they stick out in the back... I'll have a better picture of this tomorrow, but at stock ride height (i.e. no one in the car, and it's level) the tire juts out a little bit... For me this is OK because I plan to do rally-type fenders, but it might be more serious... I really don't know enough to be sure. Will it eat my fenders?

-Finally, the ride quality is OMFG AMAZINGLY GOOD... and I am comparing this to snow tires! Really.. truly noticable even on an around the block spin!

Anyway, like I said, I'll have more pics in the morning!

RM2k5

Old 03-09-2006, 03:51 PM
MisterDangerPants
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks nice. By the way, you wouldn't happen to live in Arlington? I think you live like a block away from me. If not, there's a car just like yours in my 'hood.

Old 03-09-2006, 05:03 PM
blalor
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RallyMINI2005
-Fourth, I am a little worried how far they stick out in the back... I'll have a better picture of this tomorrow, but at stock ride height (i.e. no one in the car, and it's level) the tire juts out a little bit... For me this is OK because I plan to do rally-type fenders, but it might be more serious... I really don't know enough to be sure. Will it eat my fenders?
Looks real nice, man! If these are a +48 offset, then a +40 would mean the outside of the wheel would extend even _further_ out from the fender? My wheels are +40 (or will be, when they arrive). Yours do look like they stick out a bit, and I'm afraid mine will stick out even more. Hrm....

I need to stop obsessing; they'll be here within the week, and I'm committed, now. :-)

Old 03-09-2006, 06:43 PM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MisterDangerPants
Looks nice. By the way, you wouldn't happen to live in Arlington? I think you live like a block away from me. If not, there's a car just like yours in my 'hood.
Heeey! Yup, I sure do! If ya see me around, feel free to give a wave so I know it's you! I life right up the street from A&A deli ( the street closest to Arlington center relative to A&A).

Look for my big rollers, it's now my distinguishing trait! (There is another HB/W MCS nearby somewhere driven by a young woman, which I am neither).

ciao
RM2k5

Old 03-10-2006, 06:53 AM
MisterDangerPants
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by RallyMINI2005
If ya see me around, feel free to give a wave so I know it's you!
Will do. Yeah, I've seen 5 in the Heights, so it's popular place for MINIs.

I'll look for your groovy new wheels!

Old 03-10-2006, 07:00 AM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
Better Daytime Pics...

Here are some photos in some daylight (still overcast though... and still dirty!).

I also have my MCS next to my good friends new 06 MCSa with the standard runflats (just for comparison).

RM2k5

Old 03-10-2006, 07:15 AM
dickdavid
6th Gear
Those wheels are PHAT!

Old 03-10-2006, 07:22 AM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
Now for some driving impressions...

Well, I installed these big rollers last night, and I had a chance to go out and drive them around town, and this morning I drove these the 20 minutes to work on the highway (chasing down a Porsche Boxter for a short time as well!:-) So now I think I have a pretty good feel for what this combo feels like...

First of all, I will admit that, compared to the 17" runflats, there is a tad less steering feel... not a lot! Just enough that you notice it. The car just feels a little less direct, but only on VERY smooth pavement, which we have a little of here in Boston! For me, this is MOST noticable in the first couple degrees of steering wheel movement from center. On my 17's on smooth pavement the car darts very quickly in these first couple degree's, with the 15"s it's not quite as quick... but really, the car is damn quick already, so I really don't care since the benefits are many...

Which brings me to the good stuff! Firstly, the car rides VERY nice, broken pavement, potholes, expansion joints are noticably less severe. The car shudders a lot less, and it doesn't roll any more than it did before! Also, acceleration has DEFINITLEY improved, it's still a cold and damp outside, so I can't get a full-power start just yet, but even a rolling start is much faster. (BTW these wheel/tires weighed in at 37lbs per corner or a loss of 18lbs per corner! That's as 32% weight loss!!!). It's not dry enough yet to see if the cornering limits are higher, but I'll wager they are...

Finally, I think these wheels just look awesome. The pictures don't really do it justice, they just seem MASSIVE compared to anything else. I'm very pleased...

Feel free to post any questions... I'll check back later.

RM2k5

Old 03-10-2006, 07:34 AM
blalor
6th Gear
what's your feel on how the rears stick out past the fender flare? Is that going to be a problem?

Old 03-10-2006, 07:44 AM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
I would say that it seems OK for now... I have been listening for any rubbing, bumping, etc.. and I dont' hear a darn thing. I plan to do a max compression test on the rear wheels (by jacking the opposite front corner) to see if the tire will rub, but i think if it ever did, it would be one helluva impact to do it!

Seems OK for now...

RM2k5

Old 03-10-2006, 08:00 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Man, I'm too chicken to move to summer tires just yet, and I'm in NJ, not MASS! You're brave.

I think your wheels/tires look great. There's something about a thick wheel on a MINI (looking from the rear) that just completes it so nicely. I found that the goodyear gsd3s are very wide as well, even in 205/50/16. I'll post pics when I get the cajones up to put summer tires on. Or you can checkout kenchan's gallery.

mb

Old 03-10-2006, 08:06 AM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
Yeah,

I may have to tip-toe around a bit... and I am not opposed to tossing my snow's back on if we are slatted to have a big storm... but what can I say, I'm just not that patient! I have been waiting on these wheels for more than a year (for$$ reasons) so now that they are hear, I just couldn't wait!

And yes, the wide wheels TOTALLY make the look of the MINI from the back.. "she's a steamroller baby Gonna roll all over youuuu."

Rm2k5

Old 03-10-2006, 08:12 AM
oldschool
3rd Gear
They look awesome, but I don't think there is any way those are et 48. My et 38 wheels where not that "far out" in the wheel well.

I'm about to pick up a set of 15s for the street and have been thinking of going with these team dynamics. As awesome as they look on your car, I'm really going to consider it.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:17 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Those wheels look great! I'm happy to see another proud 15inch wheel owner :-)

Originally Posted by blalor
If these are a +48 offset, then a +40 would mean the outside of the wheel would extend even _further_ out from the fender? My wheels are +40 (or will be, when they arrive). Yours do look like they stick out a bit, and I'm afraid mine will stick out even more. Hrm....

Are we sure those are et 48 or even et45.....i have et40 15x7s and they dont go out past the fender. Those appear to stick out a teeny tiny bit. I wouldnt worry blalor...

Here is a pic to show where my et40's sit in comparison to the fender(look at the rear....the front is kinda turned). I know that im not using as wide of a tire, but even then it wont be enough to poke out of the fender.

Old 03-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
according to the official team dynamics site.....the highest et you can get on the pro race 1.2's is a 30 . That would make a lot more sense with the amount of poke you have.

http://www.teamdynamicsracing.com/pr...Pro-race12.htm

Quick Reply: My Rims are finally in! Check em out!