Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

17" Run Flat Performance??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 06:42 PM
o-ron
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
17" Run Flat Performance??

I'm ordering a new '06 MCS with 17" Run-Flat performance tires. What exactly are these? I've heard people with Dunlops, Pirellis... ?

Can you specifiy what tire you want?

Old 04-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A "run flat" is just that. They have a reinforced sidewall so it can be driven on with no air. As the Cooper S has no spare, it only made sense that MINI equip the car with run flats. Every tire manufacturer has their own name for it, Goodyear has EMT or Extended Mobility Technology, Dunlop has DSST or Dunlop Self Supporting Technology, etc.

I don't know if you can pick which ones you want, or how MINI decides which ones to mount on the car. I have the Dunlops on my silver car and Goodyears on my black car and both are pretty decent wet or dry, but the treadwear isn't the greatest.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:03 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
mine came with SP9000 DSST's.

performance runflats... the two terms contradict one another.

Old 04-04-2006, 07:05 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by kenchan
mine came with SP9000 DSST's.

performance runflats... the two terms contradict one another.
Just be sure you change your tires/wheels before it gets cold or you see snow!

Old 04-04-2006, 07:35 PM
MrT-Man
2nd Gear
I just put mine on (Pirelli eufori@) and I can't believe how bad they are. They're brand new, I had put 16" winter tires on as soon as I got my Mini. Relative to the winter tires, the ride is a fair bit harsher, which I was expecting, and the car is actually more difficult to control, which I was not.

With my winter tires, I could let go of the steering wheel and the car would keep going straight (not like I did that often...!). With my summer tires, I have to concentrate to keep the car from veering off. I hope that has something to do with the fact that they're new... if they don't get any better after a few hundred miles, I guess I'll do like everyone else seems to have done & swap them out for 16" V-spokes...

Old 04-04-2006, 08:58 PM
Minvader
2nd Gear
I did a full day of Auto-X on my Dunlops a couple months ago, and I wasn't too happy with the traction at all.

Last weekend I did many laps at Sebring with Dunlops on the front and Pirellis in the back, and I was pleasantly surprised with how well I did. I never felt like I was breaking loose, and I was definitely driving hard.

Maybe the "nut behind the wheel" just got tightened up a little, or the new rear swaybar made a huge difference... but the Ruinflats held their own at Sebring!

I will be switching to some lighter wheels and better tires soon, so don't take this as an endorsement for the Ruinflats, just a little bit of good news that you can keep in mind while you wear them out.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Stevie B
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MrT-Man
I just put mine on (Pirelli eufori@) and I can't believe how bad they are. They're brand new, I had put 16" winter tires on as soon as I got my Mini. Relative to the winter tires, the ride is a fair bit harsher, which I was expecting, and the car is actually more difficult to control, which I was not.

With my winter tires, I could let go of the steering wheel and the car would keep going straight (not like I did that often...!). With my summer tires, I have to concentrate to keep the car from veering off. I hope that has something to do with the fact that they're new... if they don't get any better after a few hundred miles, I guess I'll do like everyone else seems to have done & swap them out for 16" V-spokes...
I hear people with Eufori@s complain all the time about tracking issues. I've driven them a few times, including some 130 mph runs on the autobahn. They tramlined a fair amount, which was annoying. I also hear they get better as they wear in. It's a first generation runflat. They've gotten a lot better, and will take over the market one day if car manufacturers have their say. I'm surprised they're still appreciably more expensive, although the new Bridgestone runflat is under $200/ea. now. Mine are heading to the Nurburgring next Friday. I'm so use to my winter runflats (which are still mounted) that my Dunlop SP9000 runflats are going to feel like the world's stickiest rubber. I surprised a 911 driver today on my favorite autobahn exit S turn when I caught him up. I had to lift to keep from hitting him...and that was on my winters. I think once you get rid of the stock suspension, you find that the runflats have far more grip than you think. The stiffer sidewall will help with lateral grip, unless you like a car that squirms under lateral loads. As long as the rubber in the tread is comparable to conventional tires (not too likely yet), you should only really detect a ride quality difference. I've read in Roundel multiple times where journos praised Eufori@ equipped Bimmers at the track. Just goes to show...

Old 04-05-2006, 01:49 PM
usa_3388
2nd Gear
what is the difference between the 17" performance and all season?
Between these two, which one will be quieter and have softer ride?

Old 04-05-2006, 01:52 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by o-ron
I'm ordering a new '06 MCS with 17" Run-Flat performance tires. What exactly are these? I've heard people with Dunlops, Pirellis... ?

Can you specifiy what tire you want?
lets not get confused here. As already stated ... RFs are just that ... RFs, regardless of the "type" of tire.

MINI usually comes with Dunlop Performance tires OEM and either PIrellli or Goodyear as all-season tires. Since you getting the "performance" tire, its probably a dunlap

No, you cannot specify the tire brand (dont matter anyone is there is only once choice for performance)

These are still all Gen 1 tires. Bridgestone 050s performance RFs are Gen 2 ... much better tires ... just take a look at their ratings on tirerack.

Old 04-05-2006, 02:20 PM
myzamboni
5th Gear
Originally Posted by usa_3388
what is the difference between the 17" performance and all season?
Between these two, which one will be quieter and have softer ride?
All season are louder than the performance. I got the Pirellis (wanted the Dunlops but was not allowed to specify).

Next week I am jumping ot non RF tires. I can't wait!

Old 04-07-2006, 01:52 PM
usa_3388
2nd Gear
If I can choose 16" or 17" stock tires, which one would you choose?
After reading so many posts on this subject, seems like 17" is heavy,
loud and uncomfortable ride comparing with 16". The only good thing
about 17" is its look.
Any comments?

Old 04-07-2006, 02:07 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by usa_3388
If I can choose 16" or 17" stock tires, which one would you choose?
After reading so many posts on this subject, seems like 17" is heavy,
loud and uncomfortable ride comparing with 16". The only good thing
about 17" is its look.
Any comments?
Anytime you have a lower profile tire, you will feel the bumps more. Loud? I have RFs and dont hear the tires over the SC and exhaust.

Old 04-09-2006, 12:22 PM
usa_3388
2nd Gear
between 17" all season and performance, which one will you choose?

Old 04-09-2006, 04:33 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
I selected performance when ordering (you can't choose the tire brand) & they gave me the Pirelli's. I have been extremely happy with them. My Mini sticks thru the twisties like glue & the ride isn't that harsh. When people ride with me they always comment on how the ride is much better than they thought it would be. I am going to ditch the runflats in July cause i know the ride will only get better but I have been happy enough with them

Old 04-10-2006, 11:07 AM
MGCMAN
6th Gear
Back in the early days of the BMW MCS, the "all season" runflats were made by Goodyear, the "performance" runflats were the Pirelli Eufori@. I think that several complaints as to the ride quality of the Pirellis are one of the reasons that Dunlop RFs have become the new "performance" tire of choice.

Many of us have ditched the run flats in favor of smoother riding, better handling tires.

We trust a can of fix-a-flat and a small air compressor to get us home at night!