Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

does anyone know where to get the rear brake tool???

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2006, 11:01 AM
meb
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does anyone know where to get the rear brake tool???

My local dealership says they buy from Snap On and Snap On says they have no reference for the rear brake pistion tool.

My pads have zero material left and my first DE event this year is Saturday. 3 mechanics in the area do not own the correct tool to perform the brake job

Old 04-05-2006, 11:04 AM
markbradford
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harbor Freight has them. They're about $40 and often on sale for half that. Not the best quality but the pin won't break unless you forget to open the bleed screw on the caliper.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are lots of ways to do it....

The key is that the piston needs to turn and compress to go into the caliper. I've seen two kinds at the local kragen. One is a cubical thinggy with lots of pins on each side to engage the many different hole patterns on all the pistons out there. The other has a dummy pad plate, with a threaded gizmo that presses while the pins on it's face turn. Any parts store should carry them. In a pinch, I've also used the tips of needle nosed pliers to get the piston to turn.

Sorry my descriptions are so crappy. When you see them, I think it will make sense....

Matt

Old 04-05-2006, 11:12 AM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
I've also used the tips of needle nosed pliers to get the piston to turn.
Thats what I ended up using, pain to get started, but once it was going it was fine.

Nik

Old 04-05-2006, 11:32 AM
ahamos
Coordinator :: River City Minis
Whereas I've almost always resorted to using a C-clamp. It's not elegant, but it's much faster than using pliers, and can overcome a stuck caliper any day.

In most cases, I've found that the C-clamp actually works better than a generic brake tool (that's not to say it works better than the MINI/BMW specific tool).

Old 04-05-2006, 11:44 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
I just use a C clamp and have had no problems. As long as the little round thing on the end of the threads doesn't spin, you'll be fine. I never had to loosen the bleeder screw either.

Old 04-05-2006, 11:51 AM
meb
6th Gear
Long story kept short; I began this project two weeks ago and here I am. I tried using needle nose while also pushing the piston in - with the bleeder open, no luck. I did not use a clamp as I've used on every other car in production because this thing needs to spin and compress.

Matt, we've tried every tool possible, sounds quite funny really. I've had these apart twice and two mechanics have had them apart. All of us hit a wall at the piston.

Mini of Darien, Ct. is going to do the install on Friday. I simply have to sign a waiver for the non-stock parts being used - slotted rear rotors - all else is stock.

This is a simple 15 minute job. Makes me want to sell the car and never buy a BMW product again. I have to pay 2.5 hours of labor for a job that should take 30 minutes It's the frustration really, not the money.

Thanks for the very quick responses !

Old 04-05-2006, 12:04 PM
onasled
Banned
call me...

Old 04-05-2006, 12:10 PM
dominicminicoopers
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN109
I just use a C clamp and have had no problems. As long as the little round thing on the end of the threads doesn't spin, you'll be fine. I never had to loosen the bleeder screw either.
I use the same technique. I'm using a 6" C-Clamp.

Hope you're able to get it meb

Old 04-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by meb
I did not use a clamp as I've used on every other car in production because this thing needs to spin and compress.
A C clamp will spin and compress the piston. Goes in like butter.
Just make sure the metal disc on the end of the threads spins with the threads. I just duct taped that thing to the threaded part of the clamp.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:16 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by meb
I've had these apart twice and two mechanics have had them apart. All of us hit a wall at the piston.
I'd send these machanics back as defective.

Old 04-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Try the C-Clamp

and when it's got some pressure on the piston, try turning the piston with some channel locks. I haven't had the degree of dificulty you've had, but I have had some that needed a bit of coersion to start them going!

Matt

Old 04-05-2006, 12:59 PM
meb
6th Gear
You were the first one I called I can't get thru to your phone lately? Says "User unavailable" How's it going?

Originally Posted by onasled
call me...

Okay, I've got a bunch of clamps for wood working and all have at least one part that spins. I'll try Matt's appraoch tonight; apply presure with the clamp while turning the piston.

I sometimes get a little analysis paralysis when a simple job goes ugly.

Old 04-05-2006, 01:38 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
Don't mean to sound sarcastic, but you could have saved yourself a whole lot of time and effort if you had just bought the tool from Harbor Freight. It has worked like a charm on the last three pad changes:

Harbor Freight: CALIPER TOOL SET FOR DISC BRAKES $39.99

Why do people want to spend the big dollars on rims but refuse to purchase a tool to properly work on a safety system that is used every time you drive the car?

Old 04-05-2006, 01:42 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I've done tons of changes...

and have never needed it, other than for my 75 FIAT. But I just made a part to do it (and that was when I had machine shop access). But you're probably right, at $40, and it comes with a a case...

Matt

Old 04-05-2006, 01:59 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
and have never needed it, other than for my 75 FIAT. But I just made a part to do it (and that was when I had machine shop access). But you're probably right, at $40, and it comes with a a case...

Matt
I understand your point Matt, I have "made due" on several occastions in the past as well. But why if you don't have to and its affordable? We aren't talking outragous BMW tool prices here, it is just $40 and it works every time.

The funny thing is, the second reply answers the question "does anyone know where to get the rear brake tool???" and it is ignored.

Get what you pay for?

Anyway, here is a great writeup buy OctaneGuy on how to do the work:

Detailed Writeup on Changing REAR Brake Pads-Beginners!

Hope you have better luck soon and get your MINI back on the road!

Old 04-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Mark and I were typing at the same time...

I though HF had them but didn't remember for sure so skipped the reference.

But then, there's I need the tool, and I need to fix this NOW and don't have the tool....

Matt

Old 04-05-2006, 02:12 PM
SumWon
5th Gear
But then, there's I need the tool, and I need to fix this NOW and don't have the tool....
Understood. That can be fixed with proper research ahead of time and/or patients. No worries though, its just the rear brakes, they don't do much.

Old 04-06-2006, 06:31 AM
meb
6th Gear
There are four such kits in the shop I occasionally use. Only one of the donuts fits, no problem there. But the flange that backs up to the other side of the caliper in all four is so large it will not insert into the 3/8" drvie perpendicular to the donut.

And, I left my tools at the office last night; I couldn't try Matt's technique. I'm just gonna take it to Mini tomorrow and get it done. I will order that kit today, however. BUT, ARE WE AURE THIS KIT WILL WORK WITH THE MINI?. i'M NOT BEING A WISE GUY, JUST DOUBLE CHECKING. Thanks for all the help gentlemen...I hope I can return the favor some day.

Originally Posted by SumWon
Don't mean to sound sarcastic, but you could have saved yourself a whole lot of time and effort if you had just bought the tool from Harbor Freight. It has worked like a charm on the last three pad changes:

Harbor Freight: CALIPER TOOL SET FOR DISC BRAKES $39.99

Why do people want to spend the big dollars on rims but refuse to purchase a tool to properly work on a safety system that is used every time you drive the car?

Old 04-06-2006, 07:23 AM
BFG9000
5th Gear
That particular kit is said to work without using any of the round plates; the end of the tool itself is already a perfect fit for the MINI rear calipers: http://www.mini2.com/forum/maintenan...what-pain.html

Old 04-06-2006, 07:31 AM
SumWon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by meb
BUT, ARE WE AURE THIS KIT WILL WORK WITH THE MINI?. i'M NOT BEING A WISE GUY, JUST DOUBLE CHECKING.
I am sorry for your troubles meb. I had my MINI laid up for quite some time because of a tool issue this spring as well, I feel your pain. I have not heard any reports of this set not working on a MINI. That said, I can not say how many have tried either. I know it works on the '03 and I have not heard of any changes to the rear caliper since then, so ...

If anyone can confirm that the kit works with an '05 MCS, please chime in.

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2006, 08:17 AM
markbradford
5th Gear
Originally Posted by BFG9000
That particular kit is said to work without using any of the round plates; the end of the tool itself is already a perfect fit for the MINI rear calipers: http://www.mini2.com/forum/maintenan...what-pain.html
That is correct. I used it last weekend. You don't need any of the adapter plates. The "pad" at the end of the tool is the perfect size for the Mini real caliper. This is good because it reduces the amount of clearance required to get the tool in there in the first place. (Yay - you can run your pads right down to the backing plates! )

The key is to make sure that the plate that provides "backpressure" to the threaded tool is seated correctly in the outboard pad carrier. If it's not perfectly squared up to the piston when you try to turn the compressor it will run into resistance and go nowhere.

Hope this helps...

Old 04-06-2006, 09:00 AM
meb
6th Gear
- and thanks to all again!

Originally Posted by markbradford
That is correct. I used it last weekend. You don't need any of the adapter plates. The "pad" at the end of the tool is the perfect size for the Mini real caliper. This is good because it reduces the amount of clearance required to get the tool in there in the first place. (Yay - you can run your pads right down to the backing plates! )

The key is to make sure that the plate that provides "backpressure" to the threaded tool is seated correctly in the outboard pad carrier. If it's not perfectly squared up to the piston when you try to turn the compressor it will run into resistance and go nowhere.

Hope this helps...

Old 04-06-2006, 01:17 PM
meb
6th Gear
Harbor Frieght's tool set $39.99

BMW/Mini tool set $365.00

Which one should I get?

Old 04-06-2006, 01:34 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
BMWs!

Originally Posted by meb
Harbor Frieght's tool set $39.99

BMW/Mini tool set $365.00

Which one should I get?
I'm sure it's 9 times better!!!!

Matt

Quick Reply: does anyone know where to get the rear brake tool???