Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Forged vs cast wheels- what are the advantages?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 01:45 PM
RHM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Forged vs cast wheels- what are the advantages?

I am trying to decide what wheels to get for my MSC. I like the Centerline forged wheels, and they are currently available at great overstock prices. The Centerline site says that forging produces strong yet light wheels. The 17" Storm wheels are 13 pounds with a polished metal finish. However, I have read elsewhere that forged wheels may be more fragile for road use. Are cast wheels better for road use, or is it just a matter of the particular wheel or brand?

Other wheels that I am considering are Team Dynamics Pro Racing 2. These are cast, are about 16.5 pounds and have a painted finish.

The Team Dynamics wheel is also available in a 16" size, which I am considering. The Centerline wheel is not available in 16" size.

Which would you choose?

Team Dynamics Pro Racing 2 in silver- $176 each

Centerline Storm, in polished metal finish- $159 each including shipping

Old 04-25-2006, 02:50 PM
willymcd
3rd Gear
forged wheels are generally the strongest and the lightest, but not all forged wheels are equal. i have herd some things about centerline wheels cracking. this could be due to their heat treatment. i haven't really heard anything negative about team dynamics, this may be the clue in your decision. but i would do some research yourself.

here is a link from the tire rack on wheels, it should give you all the information you need to know about wheel construction.

Last edited by Alex@tirerack; 05-11-2006 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:59 PM
mini552
4th Gear
Generally speaking, a forged wheel is going to be lighter than a cast wheel of an equivalent diameter and width, and stronger than a cast wheel of the same weight or close to the same weight. So again generally speaking, a high quality forged wheel will cost more, be stronger "per lb" and lighter "per inch" than the cast wheel. The reputation for fragility arises in part from the everyday use on potholed streets of extremely light wheels meant for racing on smooth surfaces. I think that the trick is to go light w/o going too light, sticking with a quality manufacturer, being realistic about how and where you drive, and understanding that unless you luck into a great sale you're going to pay more

Old 04-25-2006, 03:12 PM
gowest
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forged wheels are lighter for a given strength and their extra strength may provide more clearance for brakes or suspension components because the metal doesn't have to be as thick. Many people will replace stock cast wheels, with larger diameter, forged wheels, with rubber band tires on them. Those tires don't offer the rim protection of most OEM tire sizes. Another possible problem is, if the new wheel is wider, relative to the tire width, then there is less protection from side impacts, like curbs, as well.

Generally speaking, all else equal, a forged wheel will let a car, accelerate faster, stop quicker, handle better and get better gas mileage.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:16 PM
RHM
2nd Gear
Thank you all for your replies. The Centerline wheels are a bargin now- they are normally about $350 per wheel, but because of an overstock sale, are available for $159. I have read, as mentioned by Williemcd, of people getting cracks in their Centerlines- if that does happen, they would be no bargin. I do plan to use 205/45/17 non-runflat tires, so I will have some cushioning. I think that ultimately, I would be taking a chance on the Centerlines. I like the finish better on them, but they would be nice looking pieces of junk if they do crack. Anyone out there with experience with Centerline wheels?

Old 04-25-2006, 04:34 PM
gowest
4th Gear
Maybe you should buy a spare at that price and if one cracks, you still have 4 to sell.

Old 04-25-2006, 04:51 PM
RHM
2nd Gear
I was considering buying a fifth wheel. Thanks.

Old 04-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Passat774
5th Gear
The other option is to look at wheels that cost a little more than these to get a higher quality forged wheel. I do not know your budget..

But, purchase the best rubber you can afford first, then buy the best quality rim that you can afford second..

Good luck in your search

Old 04-25-2006, 05:32 PM
nparker
4th Gear
Originally Posted by RHM
Thank you all for your replies. The Centerline wheels are a bargin now- they are normally about $350 per wheel, but because of an overstock sale, are available for $159. I have read, as mentioned by Williemcd, of people getting cracks in their Centerlines- if that does happen, they would be no bargin. I do plan to use 205/45/17 non-runflat tires, so I will have some cushioning. I think that ultimately, I would be taking a chance on the Centerlines. I like the finish better on them, but they would be nice looking pieces of junk if they do crack. Anyone out there with experience with Centerline wheels?
I've had 2 sets of Centerline RPMs (17's and 18's) and had no problems whatsoever. I'm still riding on my 17s now.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:17 PM
RHM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by nparker
I've had 2 sets of Centerline RPMs (17's and 18's) and had no problems whatsoever. I'm still riding on my 17s now.
It is reassuring that you have had no problems.

Old 04-25-2006, 07:22 PM
RHM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Passat774
The other option is to look at wheels that cost a little more than these to get a higher quality forged wheel. I do not know your budget..

But, purchase the best rubber you can afford first, then buy the best quality rim that you can afford second..

Good luck in your search
The problem is defining what is a high quality wheel. While you can get a general sense of what other owners think about their wheels if you spend time going through the forums, how does a wheel get "defined" as high quality? A local dealer told me that the Centerlines were high quality, though he was trying to sell me a product. Price is not necessarily a benchmark either. I am unaware of independent tests on strength, ect, so I guess I am stuck just researching through the forums and available literature, and trying to make the best of it all. Thanks for your assistance.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:07 AM
polmear
3rd Gear
OK technical mumbo-jumbo here:
metallurgically speaking, the differences really are in the grain structures. castings tend to have voids, large crystals (meaning less strength), they have to have stock available to be machined because there is a lot of porosity near the surface, and then machining also interrupts the fluidity of the grain. With forging, the crystalline structure is more compact (stronger, but slightly more fragile), it is also to make forgings to a near-net shape, thereby reducing the amount of machining necessary. The downside to forgings is the up-front investment. Metal dies are much more expensive than sand.

Old 05-07-2006, 06:58 PM
MiniTX
2nd Gear
I went with Centerline Storm 17x7's with 215/45-17 Goodyear Eagle F1's for my 06 MCS. Already have the rims and tires, picking the car up next week and they are going on day 1. Jegs.com has the Storm in 17x7 for $159.99 including shipping - everyday price.

There are tons of wheel makers out there,, Centerline has been around for decades and built their resume on racing. I have owned multiple sets of Centerline rims on various cars and have never had an issue with them. Going with Centerline was the safe play compared to going with a brand I had never heard of.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:37 AM
sanddan
4th Gear
Cracked Centerline RPM Wheels....

I just saw this thread or I would have chimed in sooner.

I am on my second set of the Centerline RPM wheels. These are the versions that have had the cracking issues. The earlier versions of this wheel had a pocket machined on the back side of each spoke to lighten the wheel. This is the area that they tended to crack in. I had a crack appear on only one spoke of one wheel and Centerline replaced all four wheels with the new version that does not have the lightening pockets machined in the spokes. I did have to pay for the wheels to be shipped to Centerline but the tire shop I worked with pickup up the rest of the costs for mount and balance.

CAUTION: They are still selling the old style RPM wheel for a reduced price on their website.

Old 05-10-2006, 10:52 AM
RHM
2nd Gear
I have now ordered four Centerline Storm wheels!!!!

Old 05-10-2006, 10:59 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 16" Volk CE28N's are forged, and have seen their share of street abuse (for amost 3 years), w/o any issues whatsoever. They are 10.75 lbs, and while light, they are very durable...

Old 05-10-2006, 11:05 AM
MINIotaple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TonyB
My 16" Volk CE28N's are forged, and have seen their share of street abuse (for amost 3 years), w/o any issues whatsoever. They are 10.75 lbs, and while light, they are very durable...
They also cost like a billion dollars.

Old 05-10-2006, 11:26 AM
TonyB
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They are more expensive, but I didn't feel dramatically so. After shopping around, I got a set of 4 for a total of $1,200 something, or about 300 each (local pick-up and cash payment).

The Centerline RPM's, at least at that time, didn't offer 16's... but the if I would have gone with their 17's, the price delta was only like one wheel, or a couple hundred or so bucks, maybe 300.

I've known a few since that have had hairline cracks with the Centerlines, which just made me feel better about spending a little more initially. Plus, I really wanted 16's, not to mention their really light weight.

The WW race BBK (more weight loss) fits beautifully right under these, with zero spacers!

Old 10-27-2006, 12:12 PM
jmarzano
Neutral
Centerline Hub Centering Rings? wth?

Hey guys, if you buy the Centerline RPM wheels that are on sale on their site now, be careful. I just bought a set of 17" RPM's and they don't ship with hub centric rings so they don't balance properly on my mini. The wheel hub is something like 76.62mm and the mini hub is 56.10mm. That's a pretty big gap, almost a inch, so hub rings are needed. I've balanced them twice and right now my steering wheel still vibrates nicely above 50mph.

Centerline has told me they don't have or sell hub rings. My only other option now is to get custom hub rings made or send the wheels back to centerline.

Anyone else have similar issues??
Maybe they should change their name to Off-Centerline.

-James
2005 Chili Red Mini Cooper S