Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Help with Edge Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 08:24 AM
minibobinva
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Edge Racing

I just got a set of Flick Lex wheels with Toyo T1R tires. For some reason the inside of one of the wheels is not clear coated. I've been calling ER since Monday and have been told that only Alex can handle this. I have yet to speak to him or get him to return my calls. This seems like an easy situation to fix. They send me a new wheel, I have it mounted and balanced and I send the other wheel back to them.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with ER?

Any suggestions on how I can get this resolved?

Thanks!

Old 04-29-2006, 10:50 AM
Mineon
4th Gear
I guess I had a somewhat similar problem with a set of Flik/TDR wheels I bought from Edge. One of the wheels had a manufacturing defect, it had tiny little pinholes in the middle of the rim that allowed air to slowly escape. It took an hour ot two to find the leak, and I'm glad I did because I was planning on driving 200 miles to an autocross the following day. Edge themselves didn't take care of it, they had TDR ship me a replacement wheel and I shipped the defective one back. I was out the cost of mounting and balancing the tire, and a week or two's use of the wheel.

Is the lack of clearcoat on the inside of the wheel visible when the wheel is on the car? It's just going to get dirty and covered with brake dust anyways, if it isn't visible, I wouldn't worry about it, but its your car and your wheel, that's a decision you have to make.

-Keith

Old 04-29-2006, 10:55 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^ as he said above, if it's the rim behind the spokes, you won't see it after
a couple hundred miles....brake dust.

Old 04-29-2006, 11:17 AM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Here's my saga with Edge racing this passed xmas/new years... It worked out in the end, but took a long time to resolve, and Edge Racing perferred take a $$$ loss rather than cut their losses and negotiate.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ht=edge+racing

Old 04-29-2006, 05:10 PM
minibobinva
1st Gear
Thanks for your advice. I see this situation differently. If the wheel isnt clear coated on the inside does that mean that it didn't go through QA? What else is or might be wrong with the wheel?

I didn't intend to buy a wheel that isn't first quality and don't feel like I should settle for that.

Old 04-29-2006, 08:29 PM
Mineon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by minibobinva
Thanks for your advice. I see this situation differently. If the wheel isnt clear coated on the inside does that mean that it didn't go through QA? What else is or might be wrong with the wheel?

I didn't intend to buy a wheel that isn't first quality and don't feel like I should settle for that.
It's your decision if you want the hassle of pursuing Edge. I've bought at least 20 sets of wheels in the last 10 years, and in all reality wheels generally cease becoming "first quality" the day you mount them on the car and start driving on them on the street. I've occasionally had brand new wheels get scratched when tires were mounted on them. For an inexpensive wheel like those from "Flik" as long as it looks good on the car and holds air, I would hassle with getting it replaced. You obviously would.

-Keith

Old 04-30-2006, 04:42 PM
RHM
2nd Gear
I was planning on ordering some tires from Edge Racing in the near future, but may shop elsewhere if they don't treat their customers right!

Old 05-07-2006, 06:38 AM
minibobinva
1st Gear
I wouldnt buy from them again. Trying to get them to deal with this which is hard when they won't return calls. Guess they don't believe in customer service.

I was reluctant to buy from a company I've never heard of but their ad in the vendor directory says they have a satisfaction guarantee. I don't believe they meant it.

Old 05-07-2006, 08:50 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ I suggest PM'ing the moderator (Mark) and have them contact the vendor
why they are treating NAM members like crap.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:50 AM
DrkSilver163
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minibobinva
I just got a set of Flick Lex wheels with Toyo T1R tires. For some reason the inside of one of the wheels is not clear coated. I've been calling ER since Monday and have been told that only Alex can handle this. I have yet to speak to him or get him to return my calls. This seems like an easy situation to fix. They send me a new wheel, I have it mounted and balanced and I send the other wheel back to them.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with ER?

Any suggestions on how I can get this resolved?

Thanks!
hey, when you do get it all straightened out, id love to see the wheels mounted on your car!!! i wanted to get the very same wheels, and its a shame edge racing is giving you a hard time, cause they have pretty good prices. thanks, and good luck.