Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Performance all-season decision

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 12:13 AM
BucketheadJones
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance all-season decision

I've narrowed my choice down to three 205/55/15 non-run-flat tires to put on the Konig Rewinds (carbon) that will be coming in two weeks. I'd like to substantially improve the road noise over the OEM Dunlop SP Sport 3000A DSST run-flats, without giving up too much performance. Also, living in Seattle, I need a tire that can handle wet surfaces almost as well as dry. My choices are:

Kumho ASX
BF Goodrich Traction T/A
Yokohama Avid V4s

I'd appreciate your thoughts, especially if you've had first-hand experience with any of these tires.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:08 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
This isn't on your list, but I'll throw it out there:

Falken Ziex ZE 512 in 205/55/15 come in at 70$ a pop.
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...05&ar=55&rd=15

I had these on my last car and have zero complaints. For what they are, a high performance ALL SEASON, they do remarkably well. I was very impressed with their wet traction, and they even wore well on a car with a very messed up suspension and bent wheels. I think there are lots of people on here with them.

Had you eliminated them already?

mb

Old 05-29-2006, 09:39 AM
CINIMIN
2nd Gear
Currently running Michelin 205/50/16 Pilot Exalto PE2 on our 2006 "S" - got them as we too live in the Puget Sound area and were willing to sacrifice some ultimate dry performance for a tire that I could have confidence in in the wet. Had a great chance to test them in the rain on the 2 day "Run to Little Creek" Ralley this weekend - lots of rain both days and on the back roads we were on the tires were great. They are also relatively quiet. Check out the reviews on the Tire Rack Site.

Old 05-29-2006, 09:57 AM
polizei
6th Gear
My friend has the Kumho ASX series tires and they SUCK in the rain. I wouldn't get them (don't know how the ASX compare?). But as far as dry weather, they are VERY nice tires and are pretty cheap too. As for the others, I don't know. Try Vulcan Tire for cheap prices (they have been recommended by many people).

I'm not sure about road noise or wet weather, but I've heard the Falken Azenis 615's are very good tires. Suppose to have crazy grip. They come in 205/50/R15 too.

www.vulcantire.com

Originally Posted by mbcoops

I had these on my last car and have zero complaints. For what they are, a high performance ALL SEASON, they do remarkably well. I was very impressed with their wet traction, and they even wore well on a car with a very messed up suspension and bent wheels. I think there are lots of people on here with them.

Had you eliminated them already?

mb
Vulcan Tire as them for $50/tire. http://www.vulcantire.com/ze512_t.htm (205/50R15)
-Cody

Old 05-29-2006, 11:05 AM
BucketheadJones
2nd Gear
Thanks, this is exactly why I come to you guys!

mbcoops - Falken Ziex 512's did start out on my list because Consumer Reports rates them very highly. After some research, I decided that the Falken's are high-value because they're relatively inexpensive and that I'd rather spend a little more to get a better tire. If I can't get a better tire... I'll get the Falkens.

CINIMIN - I had originally set a fairly arbitrary price limit of $100/tire, so I missed the Michelins. Their exceptional performance testing and reviews make them a strong consideration even at $116/tire. I especially appreciate the first-hand experience of driving a MINI with these tires on the rainy, moss-covered roads of the Northwest. Exceptional wet/dry performance AND quiet... I'll pay for that!

Michelin is the surprise leader so far... anybody else have experience with these tires?

Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
Kumho ASX
BF Goodrich Traction T/A
Yokohama Avid V4S

Old 05-29-2006, 01:16 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Links down, and what about the Falken Azenis 615's?

mbcoops - Falken Ziex 512's did start out on my list because Consumer Reports rates them very highly. After some research, I decided that the Falken's are high-value because they're relatively inexpensive and that I'd rather spend a little more to get a better tire. If I can't get a better tire... I'll get the Falkens.
Yea, but at $50/tire you can afford to replace them/beat the hell out of them at will!

-Cody

Old 05-29-2006, 04:45 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Originally Posted by polizei
Links down, and what about the Falken Azenis 615's?

I don't think the azenis are "all season" like he/she originally wanted. They're max performance summer, right?

mb

Old 05-29-2006, 08:01 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would go with the Avid's.

Old 05-29-2006, 08:07 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm ... you can do better than the ones mentioned above ... those are a bit "passanger" sedan car performance tires.

try the Toyo Proxes 4 ... all season ultra high performance ... great in summer and rain and gave me no problems for 2 seasons of NYC snow ...

Old 05-30-2006, 08:04 PM
abbydog3
3rd Gear
I love my Toyos

Originally Posted by lurch70
hmm ... you can do better than the ones mentioned above ... those are a bit "passanger" sedan car performance tires.

try the Toyo Proxes 4 ... all season ultra high performance ... great in summer and rain and gave me no problems for 2 seasons of NYC snow ...
I love my Toyos, quiet, smooth, good in wet/dry. They are not ultra sporty, but they give good feedback and you know when they are near their limits.

Old 05-30-2006, 08:17 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
toyo's are sub yokohama's imho.

get the Avids!

Old 05-30-2006, 09:23 PM
discodan
5th Gear
i had 2 pairs of Yoko Avid H4 (pre-H4S) and loved them-great tires. but tommorrow going in to get 4 new stock sized 205/45-17 Toyo Proxes 4. i've heard nothing but good things and at $115 each installed, was a great deal i thought.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:28 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
^^ cool, let us know how you like them!

Old 05-30-2006, 09:48 PM
BlueBonnet
6th Gear
All Slow

This may be stupid . . . but I thought that many performance tires are designed for both wet and dry roads . . . relatively warm temperatures and all. I thought all season tires were focused on having compound with a range for lower temperatures and the sipes for snow and ice. I would think the Puget Sound area would have the same issues I do with the monsoon in New Mexico: Summer tires in the summer and winter tires in the winter. If one isn't going up to the passes . . . then summer tires all year and you would be no worst off in the winter than you are all year with all seasons (always slow).

Old 05-30-2006, 10:39 PM
BucketheadJones
2nd Gear
In the Puget Sound area we really only have about three months a year that are mostly dry - that means NINE months of mostly wet. It's just not practical for me to buy a set of "summer" tires.

Conversely, we don't get much in the way of snow and ice in Seattle, and when that happens I'll carpool in the wife's Subaru and leave the MINI cozy in the garage.

The best tire for me is really a wet performance tire. I also want a significantly quieter ride while still being responsive. The Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S seems to have the best wet traction/quietest ride combination of the testing and reviews I've read.

So, to clarify... one set of performance tires with low road noise in a wet-road environment. If "summer" performance will meet these needs great, but wet traction is critical.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:34 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BucketheadJones
performance tires with low road noise

that knocked out the S03's and GS-D3's right out of the water... they
stick well in wet, but noise is a sideeffect.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:08 PM
discodan
5th Gear
just got my Proxes 4s put on yesterday. WOW! why didn't i get rid of my runflats 3 years ago on day 1? night and day difference in ride. i can't give a full review on them yet as i only have about 70 miles on them so far but going for a little ride tonight and i'll report with more info later.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:10 PM
Wagnbat
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mbcoops

I use the Toyo Proxes 4. Also Ultra High Performance - All Seasons. I'm very please with these versus my all-season runflats, and would recommend an UHPAS versus a summer tire if you get rain/ice/snow at all.

Old 06-01-2006, 05:28 PM
rmorin49
2nd Gear
Another vote for Toyo Proxes 4

Have over 20K on mine and they have been great.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:36 PM
HAVNPHUN
2nd Gear
Actually, I've found GS-D3's to be very quiet - much more so than the OE runflats. My only issue was less turn in. But that's probably as much the additional sidewall height (215-45-17) as the softer sidewall.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:41 PM
HAVNPHUN
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by BucketheadJones
In the Puget Sound area we really only have about three months a year that are mostly dry - that means NINE months of mostly wet. It's just not practical for me to buy a set of "summer" tires.

Conversely, we don't get much in the way of snow and ice in Seattle, and when that happens I'll carpool in the wife's Subaru and leave the MINI cozy in the garage.

The best tire for me is really a wet performance tire. I also want a significantly quieter ride while still being responsive. The Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S seems to have the best wet traction/quietest ride combination of the testing and reviews I've read.

So, to clarify... one set of performance tires with low road noise in a wet-road environment. If "summer" performance will meet these needs great, but wet traction is critical.
Let us know what you think of the Pilot Exalto A/S if you get them. We get alot of rain in FL (usually) and I'm considering them in a 205-55-15 or possibly a 205-50-15.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:07 PM
abbydog3
3rd Gear
???

Originally Posted by discodan
just got my Proxes 4s put on yesterday. WOW! why didn't i get rid of my runflats 3 years ago on day 1? night and day difference in ride. i can't give a full review on them yet as i only have about 70 miles on them so far but going for a little ride tonight and i'll report with more info later.
So it has been a couple of weeks , what did you think of the Proxes 4?

Cheers

Old 06-19-2006, 04:00 PM
TheWrks
Coordinator :: Michigan MINI Motor Club
I have had my Proxes 4's on Merlin since the Dragon, Excellent grip in the dry and wet (torrential downpour in NC) as well up here in MI I have gone through some real heavy rainstorms 6k on them now

Old 06-19-2006, 04:30 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
oh, just give it another couple thousand miles.

Originally Posted by HAVNPHUN
Actually, I've found GS-D3's to be very quiet - much more so than the OE runflats. My only issue was less turn in. But that's probably as much the additional sidewall height (215-45-17) as the softer sidewall.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:35 PM
SpiderKnight
3rd Gear
If you don't mind a little tracking on grooved road surfaces, pzero neros m + s are pretty good. That's what I have.

Quick Reply: Performance all-season decision