Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

dunlop sport max or goodyear ds-g3?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 08:26 AM
minilra
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dunlop sport max or goodyear ds-g3?

considering swaping out my runflats (32,000 miles) for either the Dunlop Sport Max or the Goodyear DS-G3 in the 205/50-16 size. In everyones opinion which is best. They seem pretty even based on the TireRack.com comparison and the reviews are about the same except more reviews for the Goodyear. There was mention that the Goodyears sidewall flexes more. Does anyone have opinions on that? In normal commuting and some spirited driving would this be noticeable? I will not be using them for any autocrossing or track days, just daily commuting and some fun on the back roads. Thanks for any comments you may have.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:30 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Love the goodyears, but I can't compare to the others 'cause I've never used them. Sidewall flex is not an issue if you keep the tires inflated. The ride is muuuuuuuuuuch smoother than with the runflats. When I took them to the track, I added a little bit of air, and when they heated up they got to about 40psi and performed wonderfully. I'd buy these tires again.

mb

Old 06-01-2006, 09:01 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've run the Goodyears a lot...

and the turn in difference was noticable to me. They are heavy too. The reason I keep getting them is I live where fog is an issue, and no matter the weather, I can find damp turns. The Goodyears wet traction is just amazing!

Matt

Old 06-01-2006, 09:38 AM
UberFisch
3rd Gear
Go with the Dunlops, me boy!!! The GS-D3's seem to be overrated. We have them on the R32 and GLI here at VW, and they aren't as great as you would think. I will have my Sport Maxx's on order very soon!

Old 06-01-2006, 11:14 AM
MiniMargie
4th Gear
overrated? pshaw! they rock. And, Tire Rack is running them at $88/tire in 215/45/17 vs. $145/tire for the Sport Max. So, why is this a hard decision?? You guys need to stop bench racing and look at reality.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:36 AM
Coopernicus
3rd Gear
I have the 205-16 Goodyears now, and used them on 2 previous cars, including an '03 GTi VR-6 with R32 suspension.

The extensive GS-D3 experience shared on TireRack's customer reviews completely echoes my viewpoint. Other then turn-in (which, as MBCoops stated, can be enhanced effectively with a little more pressure), these are still very much at the top of the Max Performance category, with a big Gold Star for Wet Traction.

Plus - they are currently on sale AND you get a $100 cash card!!

Old 06-01-2006, 11:43 AM
MiniMargie
4th Gear
so, that makes them $63/tire. I want to get a set as spares, they are so good.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:07 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Car and Driver thought they were the best all around tire among the max performance summer group. The goodyears that is. Take that tidbit for what it is, a tidbit.

mb

Old 06-01-2006, 07:27 PM
kseckel99
5th Gear
Originally Posted by minilra
considering swaping out my runflats (32,000 miles) for either the Dunlop Sport Max or the Goodyear DS-G3 in the 205/50-16 size. In everyones opinion which is best. They seem pretty even based on the TireRack.com comparison and the reviews are about the same except more reviews for the Goodyear. There was mention that the Goodyears sidewall flexes more. Does anyone have opinions on that? In normal commuting and some spirited driving would this be noticeable? I will not be using them for any autocrossing or track days, just daily commuting and some fun on the back roads. Thanks for any comments you may have.
I decided on the Goodyear's after my RF's were through. Wow are they nice. Now I can't compare them to the Dunlops since I've never used them before but I do love my G3's. Was thinking about it tonight as I was coming home on a twisty and how well they grip. I used to be able to make the tires break free a little with the RF's (not that hard to do really) but I haven't had the nerve to really push the new tires. They do stick a lot better and I was impressed that they did well in the rain. Will be interesting to see how they do when we get our torrential downpours here in the near future.
I'm sold and if I can might get another set while on sale for down the road I just might. (Really I want the free Cars movie music CD that Goodyear is giving away for buying a set).

Old 06-03-2006, 05:17 PM
minilra
1st Gear
Thanks to everyone who replied. I will be ordering the Goodyears from tire rack next.

Old 06-03-2006, 05:49 PM
sanddan
4th Gear
My $.02 worth.

I just switched from Yokohama ES100's to the Goodyear GSD3's and i would not buy the goodyears again. I miss the precision of the steering feel of the worn out Yoko's compared to the Mushy feel of the goodyears. I was seduced by the price but in my opinion, you can't, (or shouldn't) put a price on a good time. They ride smoother but feel crappy. I will try something different next time around.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:07 PM
5th Gear
I agree, the goodyears are way over rated. They may feel sticky to someone that has never had sticky tires, but they have awfull turn in, wonder, are not especially quite and generally feel lathargic. I recommended them to a friend that has a stock car thinking the smooth ride was more imoprtant. She noticed right away how soft the sidewalls are and how the tread squirms in corning. We recently traded wheels and tires as I almost got the f1's. I have 17's w/yoko spec2's, she has 16's w/the goodyears. People are always spouting off about how rough and noisy 17's/ and spec2's are, my expierence is the opposite. Now I feel bad about the recommendation because she spent $50 more per tire than I and she has mentioned how badly she wants to get rid of them.

Old 06-03-2006, 06:16 PM
gr8britwjh
4th Gear
Originally Posted by UberFisch
Go with the Dunlops, me boy!!! The GS-D3's seem to be overrated. We have them on the R32 and GLI here at VW, and they aren't as great as you would think. I will have my Sport Maxx's on order very soon!
No experience with the Goodyears, but the Dunlop Sport Maxx is a fantastic tire (and 2 lbs lighter too).

Old 06-03-2006, 06:50 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Wow!

There must be some difference in tire builds... I agree on the turn in, but other than that, I have wonderful experience with the Goodyears. Compared to the Toyo T1S, I liked the Goodyears in every way other than initial turn in. Besides the wet traction, the other feature I really like is the very gentle (and controlable) transition from rolling to sliding...

Oh well, like most things, to each their own...

Matt

Old 06-05-2006, 03:16 PM
sanddan
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dr Obnxs
There must be some difference in tire builds... I agree on the turn in, but other than that, I have wonderful experience with the Goodyears. Compared to the Toyo T1S, I liked the Goodyears in every way other than initial turn in. Besides the wet traction, the other feature I really like is the very gentle (and controlable) transition from rolling to sliding...

Oh well, like most things, to each their own...

Matt
I'll make you a deal Doc. My set has less than 200 miles on them, I will sell them to you for $300 and I will split the shipping. If you are interested, PM your zip and I will figure out the shipping charge. (I get a great deal on shipping through work)

Dan

Old 06-05-2006, 04:54 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Buy the Goodyears, they're made in America! I was very surprised to learn recently that only Goodyear and Cooper still make tires in the US.

Old 06-05-2006, 05:22 PM
cct1
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bee1000n
Buy the Goodyears, they're made in America!
But by that line of reasoning, he shouldn't have bought a Mini in the first place...

Old 06-05-2006, 05:33 PM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Originally Posted by cct1
But by that line of reasoning, he shouldn't have bought a Mini in the first place...
Not true - nobody in America makes anything like a MINI!

I'm not a die-hard, buy-American guy by any means, but if you're choosing between Brand A and Brand B you may as well take country of origin into account along with everything else. If Brand A and B offer similar performance, why not go with the one made America even if it costs a little more?

Old 06-14-2006, 11:06 PM
jamie645
1st Gear
I just put on a set of the Goodyears today. Too early to tell about ride/handling but they are made in China. Not in Germany where my set for my M3 is made; and certainly not made in the USA.

Old 06-15-2006, 03:28 AM
Drillslinger
6th Gear
Well, I've had both on my A3 TQ. I had the Eagle's first, then replaced them with the Dunlops when the Sport Max's first came out. All around I feel that the Dunlops wear better than the Goodyear's and have firmer sidewalls (These are in 225/45/17) but in everything else (Yes even dry grip(but only a minor edge)) the Goodyear's are better (IMHO of course ) The reason I would avoid the GS-D3's is because here they're more expensive than the Dunlop's and I drive ALOT (120+ mile round-trip commute each day) and the Goodyear's wear quicker (Which means they're stickier )

That's my 2¢, Hope it helps

Old 06-15-2006, 08:10 AM
bee1000n
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jamie645
I just put on a set of the Goodyears today. Too early to tell about ride/handling but they are made in China. Not in Germany where my set for my M3 is made; and certainly not made in the USA.
That's disappointing. I shouldn't have assumed that "Goodyear makes tires in the US" is the same thing as "all Goodyears are made in the US."

Old 06-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Get used to it.

Pretty much everything is or will be manufactured in China.....

Matt

Old 06-15-2006, 09:24 AM
minilra
1st Gear
I finally decided on my tires, originally was going to buy the Goodyears but went with the Dunlops because of some comments about turn-in. Got them from TireRack for 108.00 plus 100.00 rebate for the 205/50-16. Havent been able to really push the tires yet but the turn-in is very similar to the runflats. The ride is much nicer without the harshness associated with the runflats. Handling seems great also. Won't be able to fully comment about the tire wear.

Old 06-15-2006, 09:28 AM
meanboy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Test you might be interested in reading.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...the-tread.html

Old 06-15-2006, 11:46 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jamie645
The Y rated 215/45 ( not the W rated one on sale) is German in origin!

Alex

Quick Reply: dunlop sport max or goodyear ds-g3?