Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Using web-spokes as track wheels

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 07:09 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using web-spokes as track wheels

Ok, I'm trying to come up with a way to keep my web spokes and get some use out of them. I took them off because I wanted something a bit more traditional looking and I wanted to have the run-flats as a back up for trips, etc. I now realize I'm never going to switch out for long trips, I like the ride in my new ASA wheels and Yoko ES100 tires much better.
Is it a horrible idea to pull the runflats off of the web spokes and put some better tires on those for track days? By track day I mean Driver's School, I'm not doing autocross (no time, but maybe one day?)I was thinking of just selling the webspokes and runflats and using the money toward some 15" or 16" wheels with tires specifically to use at DE. Weightwise I'd lose about 35lbs in the wheels, not sure about the tires. Here's my thought, I only weigh 120lbs anyway, so the way I see it I'm already ahead
I am not trying to be the fastest or the most awesome one out there, just want to have fun and improve each time.
I really like the webspokes and don't want to get rid of them, but I hate that they would just sit around gathering dust, since what I really didn't like about them was the runflats.
Any input??
Thanks all,
Annette

Old 06-08-2006, 07:17 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
The thing about tire/wheel weight is that it is unsprung, so your weight affects the dynamics of the car differently.

I wouldn't keep those webspokes just to keep them and use them at the track. You state that HPDE is going to be a place for you to perfect your technique and hone your skills instead of blowing the doors off of other cars. That said, it might follow that a large BBK is not in your future, so I'd sell the webspokes and buy some 16 or 15 inch tires/wheels with the money you get for them.

On the other hand - the difference between the webspokes and a smaller/lighter wheel/tire will be fairly minimal, so why not keep what you like?

Your welcome for not helping at all,

mb

Old 06-08-2006, 07:32 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Umm, thanks mb

I like the web-spokes, plus I have this thing about keeping all the major stock parts. Who knows if El Kabong will end up on Barrett-Jackson in 25years and those web-spokes could make or break the bidding Plus storage for another set of wheels/tires, yikes.
So since I'd like to keep them, I won't be getting any money for them. I can still pull the run-flats off and sell those I guess and get a little cash.
Annette

Old 06-09-2006, 07:47 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Sounds like a plan - and who knows, you might become quite the racer from your HPDE skills, and one day you might need to make a change. Doesn't sound like you need to right now.

mb