Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Problems with new Flik Wasp wheels and 215/45/17 tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 01:50 PM
TampaMCS
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naturally Edge says I mounted them my problem unless I take it to a 9700 shop (of course not mentioned when told to take it to get it balanced.) So now I am going to be out another $50 to have another shop look at them and say the same thing.

Edge if you are out there, this is service at its poorest. I am a repeat customer and this is how I am treated. Take note, becuase many fellow enthusiast are about to.

Old 06-22-2006, 02:05 PM
trickedmotoring
4th Gear
I feel the same way... your in tampa soo do you have a place that has the wheel balancer...

Old 06-22-2006, 02:14 PM
TampaMCS
5th Gear
yes, there is one about 5 miles away, however, its ludicris that I even have to do this! I wish I would have spent a few dollars more at tire rack.

More or less they said too bad unless I take it to their recommened shop and then only if it says something is wrong.

Incidentally I just took off a set of 18x7.5's Flik wasps that were fine, only to put on these new 17x7's that could vibrate your teeth out.

Old 06-24-2006, 07:52 AM
riesek2003
1st Gear
Edge Racing did refund my full purchase price. However,they completely lied to me when they told me (the day that my wheels were delivered) that they would reimburse me for $15 per wheel balancing. They told me (after I returned the wheels) that I should have submitted the wheels through their warranty claim process. First of all, they told me via email and on the phone to take the wheels for a balancing, then they would reimburse me. THEY LIE! Do not deal with them.

If you have your wheels balanced and pay for it, don't expect a refund on the balacning if you end up returning the wheels. Also, I went to Wheeltec in Tampa on Waters Ave for the balancing. Nice folks over there and they have awesome wheels. I may buy a set from them from now on (and no I do not work there, I just wanted to plug them here because they were the ones that tried to re-balance the Fliks and showed me how bent they were).

BTW: I am now interested in the retro Konig Rewinds rims at 15" for my car. Have not decided yet. I am not the type that wants big rims. I'd rather have more comfort.

Hey, I live in Clearwater. Do you go to any of the Mini rallys around here?

Thanks,
Kevan

Old 06-24-2006, 04:34 PM
TampaMCS
5th Gear
I live in Riverview, I belong to www.sunshineminis.org and we are Minis of Tampa www.minisoftampa.org We meet 3 times a month, the 2nd Tuesday of every month over at Quaker Steak and Lube.

Well, they did tell me the same thing, after I went to 2 different wheel places, none of which said the balancing would be right. Do you have a manager or contact over there to talk to that you could PM me. I am getting nothing but the run around from Leo.

At this point I could care less about the money I wasted trying to get them balanced, I just want these wheels returned and my money back. I am sick of the whole situation. This is service at its poorest, and they could give a dam.

One of the wheels has 9.5 ounces of weights added to it, the average was 6oz. The main reason going from the 18's to the 17's was to save weight, not buy a set of wheels that were lighter and then needed all the weight added back in again to get it balanced.

We will see how this gets resolved. I told the rep, hey you guys are listed as a vendor on NAM, and word is getting around quick about how fantabulous your service is, he could have cared less. I was "supposed" to recieve a call from his manager yesterday, and naturally no such call was made.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:00 AM
riesek2003
1st Gear
EDGE RACING in MIAMI, FLORIDA has the worst customer service!!!

Hey, just so you know, they promised each time I spoke to them that they would call me back and they never did. Only after several phone calls over an 4-5 hour period and massive email attempts to them, did they speak with me.

Over a 3 day period, I spoke to Alex, Leo, and Tony at Edge. Alex was the manager (I think). He authorized the refund for me, but would never return any of my phone calls. Leo and Tony told me how great the wheels would be on my Mini. However, they both said that since the wheels were balanced before they were sent to me, they elluded that the problem must be on my end.

Also, it was Leo that told me that Edge would reimburse me at $15 per wheel for balancing, only to send me an email after I returned the wheels that I was responsible for going through their warranty service for the balancing. It's interesting to note that I never received any receipt from them indicating this. Edge racing has the worst customer service!!!

I ALMOST DECIDED TO TRY BUYING A DIFFERENT SET OF WHEELS FROM THEM, BUT DECIDED THAT I WILL NEVER BUY FROM THEM AGAIN! I SHOULD HAVE GONE WITH TIRE RACK. AT LEAST TIRE RACK HAS AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE AND THEIR REPRESENTATIVES ALWAYS RESPECT THE CUSTOMER.

Old 06-25-2006, 06:02 PM
schulzmc
3rd Gear
Fwiw

FWIW - I ordered new wheels and tires from Edge Racing. They came faster than anticipated and were well packed. Everything I needed was included, including new chrome lugs to match the wheels and the hub centric rings that fit perfectly in the tires. The tires were balanced perfectly, and feel great on the car.

The only thing I had to do was adjust the tire pressure down from 40 to 35lbs. (and mount them, of course)

I couldn't be more pleased with Edge Racing.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:45 AM
TampaMCS
5th Gear
You got lucky, as did I the first time. Good luck if they send you a set of bunk rims. If you saw the trouble some of us went through trying to get things fixed, you would consider yourself very lucky.

Old 06-26-2006, 11:56 AM
tshizzle
2nd Gear
im so glad I saw this thread!

I was just exchanging emails back and forth with them about buying a set of Flik Wasps myself, after this thread I will look elsewhere. Heres the last email I sent them:

Im sorry, but after reading some reviews about you guys I think I'll spend the extra money somewhere else. Too many cases of you guys sending bad rims only to hassle the customer and not help.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=70799 is a great example of about 4 people within a month buying Flik Wasps and all of them being bent and damaged so bad its like you just kept sending the same shitty set around to each new customer

Customer Service is the most important part of a business - step it up fellas

Old 06-26-2006, 01:59 PM
riesek2003
1st Gear
You know.. The sad thing about this whole thing is that EDGE RACING probably has some awesome wheels. But they treated me like a second class citizen. If their service was better, I would have tried buying another set. They didn't even offer that to me.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:26 AM
tshizzle
2nd Gear
response from them:

Ricky:

Thanks for your response! Raul forwarded this e-mail to me.

I am sorry to hear that you feel this way but I can understand your concern.

Please realize that there are only two cases (not four) and both have been correctly taken care of. Unfortunately the customer’s did not want to switch to new tires, just wanted to return the set. We did accept them back out of good will even though it completely steps out of our procedure. Edge Racing fully stands behind all products sold and the customers that they are sold to, but there is very little we can do when a customer does not want to cooperate with us and badmouth our employees/company, as is the case with Mr. “riesek2003” whose customer service concern was taken care of the SAME business day that he called to report it. His first customer service call was on Friday, June 9th, at 12:38PM and we had a resolution by 5:29PM, he had received the wheels the day before. This is not the case with Mr. “tampastang”, he has been helpful and patient in resolving his matter (at least with us over the phone) and has treated all of the employees that have helped him with respect...this case has also been resolved already (in a bit over one business day).

Hope this better explains the situation and where we stand. I do hope that you give us a try!

Sincerely,

Alex Nucci

Alex@edgeracing.com

Toll Free: 800-489-5353 ext. 206

Direct: 305-503-5906

Fax: 954-217-2192

Old 06-27-2006, 11:58 AM
RallyMINI2005
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess I'm surprised by everyone's response to this event... you're buying a bargain wheel from a bargain distributer who is probably only making a couple bucks on the transaction anyway... why _would_ you expect perfect wheels and magnificent customer service? They don't have the resources to provide this level of service, just due to their size..

Tirerack sells something like a million wheels a year, and occupies a hundred acre building, if you want the best service, always pay the extra couple $$$ and go through the 800lb gorilla, they have a LOT more to lose!

~RM2k5

Old 06-27-2006, 07:19 PM
riesek2003
1st Gear
I find it very comical that ALex from Edge Racing states that he "my customer service concern was taken care of the SAME business day that I called to report it". After pleading and demanding they take these wheels back because I took the wheel to 3 differnet shops before a pro shop would balance them and found 2 of the wheels to be defective. Edge bvasically lied to me and did not refund the money I had to pay out of my pocket for balancing after THEY told me to get the wheels balanced and send them the bill. They never reimbursed me. They plainly lie about their service. I was very patient. I waited 10 days to see the refund back on my credit card after they received the wheels back the very day (after I asked to have the wheels shipped back), yet no refund for the balancing after they emphatically told me that they would refund me. So Alex says his customer service took care me. Well, I beg to differ. It is 18 days and counting that I am waiting for the balancing refund.

Old 06-27-2006, 09:16 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i bought Flik Wasp wheels from Edge Racing some time ago ... and while I have no complaints with ER, as they were professionals ... I do feel that Flik wheels are ... well ... you get what you paid for.

they did not even last one year of normal daily driving on my car.

Old 06-28-2006, 12:28 PM
TampaMCS
5th Gear
Alex did have UPS out to my place of business today to pick up the rims as requested. In dealing with him he has been very professional, and for that I am thankful.

At this point, what happened was unfortunate, but Alex did make it right by allowing me to return those wheels. I tried my best to be patient, but in the end, I would never have felt right about purchasing a set of rims only to have them vibrate to no end till I bought something else.

That said I also owned a set of 18x7.5" flik wasps that I owned until last weekend, when I sold them only to go to a lighter wheel. I had good luck in the past and gave edge my business and ordered a set of 17x7 Flik Wasps. Its a shame it didnt work out, I liked the way they looked.

Anyway, Alex, thanks for fixing this.

Old 06-29-2006, 06:51 AM
riesek2003
1st Gear
Did you have to get the wheels rebalanced before you shipped them back to Edge Racing? If so, are they or will they be reimbursing you for the balancing fee?

Old 06-29-2006, 09:12 AM
TampaMCS
5th Gear
I had them rebalanced by 2 shops. At this point, I just want the money back for the rims/tires and shipping.

Update: I recieved the credit for the entire deal minus the tire balancing, which I will eat just to be done with the situation.

Old 07-08-2006, 08:41 PM
minibobinva
1st Gear
I bought a set of Flik Lex wheels and not only have I had issues with the wheels, the customer service is non existant. They will lie and not return calls. DO NOT BUY FROM THESE GUYS - YOU WILL REGRET IT.

Old 07-09-2006, 06:34 AM
riesek2003
1st Gear
Wow. I guess I'm not the only one that has had a problem with these Fliks?

Old 07-11-2006, 07:30 PM
minibobinva
1st Gear
Not by a long shot!

Old 07-26-2006, 10:19 AM
Ministi2005
3rd Gear
For what it's worth I called today about getting some Flik Wasps in 17"s with 215/45/17 wheels and they said they have had so many vibration problems with them recently that they are no longer selling that as a recommended fit. This is particuarly true with the Falkens from what I understood.

At least they're warning people up front now. I have to start my search for a new wheel all over again!!

Old 07-26-2006, 10:52 PM
5th Gear
I have had a set of wasps for two years now. I had the tires put on locally and they wobbled and vibrated. I had them rebalanced at two more shops without much of a change. I was told that the wheels were bad by one shop and that the tires were bad and a known problem by the other. I wrote off the tires as bad. My second set of tires were mounted by a friend and road force balanced. They rode perfectly. Now I am on my third set of tires (same style as the first btw). I mounted them myself with a standard balance not road force. I didn't even locate the tire dots with the valve stem and they ride perfectly. Infact, the latest tires have a lower profile than the others and still ride smooth. Turns out it was'nt the wheels, tires or the roadforce that was a problem. IT was the person balancing them. These wheels have taken some extreamly hard hits and I only found one small bend. These wheels cost less than most tires and have exceeded my expectations.