Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Dubs on a MINI!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by The MINITOR
Desperate? There you go again. You dont have to be desperate to not want to look like everyone else.
no....but you are probably desperate for people to notice your "difference from other people" if you feel the need to do something so drastic.

My car is much different from the average Cooper.....if you pay attention to the details. So I'm different from the norm, but dont feel the need to install neons or huge flashy wheels to make it more obvious to other people that I'm different.

Huge chrome wheels are screaming "HEY I'm DIFFERENT!!" where as subtle mods that blend with the styling of the car can easily make the statement "this car is different from the others" in a subtle manner.

Old 06-18-2006, 05:31 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Uh oh, another one of these threads now?

Originally Posted by RallyMINI
no....but you are probably desperate for people to notice your "difference from other people" if you feel the need to do something so drastic.
Making personal assumptions again? Hmm... I thought that someonce could choose their own style without being desparate. You should really watch calling others who you do not know desparate, especially when only because they have less conservative/different/flashy tastes. I was hoping that you would realize the offensiveness, but I guess not.

My car is much different from the average Cooper.....if you pay attention to the details. So I'm different from the norm, but dont feel the need to install neons or huge flashy wheels to make it more obvious to other people that I'm different.
This is your choice of style, good for you, though "Mr. Devils Advocate" would wonder if you are desparate to fit-in as it looks pretty conservative, and are afraid to step outside the conservative norm. I think that this is just as much ignorant BS though. Some may "be afraid" to express their own style and just want to fit in, but many such as you choose attention to details as method of being different from the norm. Does this make them "desparate"? Of course not. Ignorant if they think others are desparate for chosing a different style? Yes.

Huge chrome wheels are screaming "HEY I'm DIFFERENT!!" where as subtle mods that blend with the styling of the car can easily make the statement "this car is different from the others" in a subtle manner.
Once again, this is your opinion and your personal taste. It really doesnt mean that everyone with large chrome wheels are desparate. Also, huge chrome wheels may not in your opinion blend with "the styling" of the stock car, but they may blend with how one wants the styling of their car to be.

While I know we have had similar conversations before, this one is more blatently ignorant than in the past. While I really should not drop to the offensive level that you have set, I feel that I really need to tell you this time to get off whatever high horse that you are on and realize that your tastes are only your tastes and not fact. Calling others desparate based on this when you in fact dont know them at all is just ignorant.

Old 06-18-2006, 05:36 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Now back to the dubs, I found this one and I like it:

Old 06-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
While I really should not drop to the offensive level that you have set, I feel that I really need to tell you this time to get off whatever high horse that you are on and realize that your tastes are only your tastes and not fact. Calling others desparate based on this when you in fact dont know them at all is just ignorant.
I never said any of those things were fact. Strictly my opinions. You can take them for whatever you want. They could mean the world to you or mean nothing at all....its up to you.

I just post my opinion. Simple as that.

I didnt call EVERYONE desperate...just said probably. I made that call based on the statement that i often hear from those who run dubs such as this on MINIs and other cars when they say "I did it so people would realize I'm different". I think people should do soemthing because they like it...not to make some huge statement that they are different.

Secondly...you state that this style is stepping outside of the boundaries from the conservative style. But you are stepping out of one set of boundaries and into another set. There is nothing "different" about big chrome dubs and flashy exteriors. Check out any rap video or truck mag. It's been done thousands of times before.

PS. Contrary to what you state, I couldn't care less about what people think of my car...which is why when someone shares an opposing opinion of my car, i just shrug it off. As opposed to getting upset when someone posts criticizing or judging my style...

Old 06-18-2006, 07:54 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
1. You have often heard MINI owners who run dubs say this? Just curious, I have only known of one MINI owner who really ever did run dubs, so to hear this often from mulitple MINI owners is intriguing to me.

2. Yes, big chrome dubs and flashy exteriors are different on a MINI. I don't believe that this has been done thousands of times before, or even hundreds.

3. Thats it, I'm getting spinners. Just kidding. Better yet, maybe I will track down the Rally MINI and put spinners on it while you are sleeping. Just kidding again. Or am I? Muahahahaha!

..."I'm riding spinners, I'm riding spinners..." (music fades out)

Old 06-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
1. You have often heard MINI owners who run dubs say this? Just curious, I have only known of one MINI owner who really ever did run dubs, so to hear this often from mulitple MINI owners is intriguing to me.

2. Yes, big chrome dubs and flashy exteriors are different on a MINI. I don't believe that this has been done thousands of times before, or even hundreds.

3. Thats it, I'm getting spinners. Just kidding. Better yet, maybe I will track down the Rally MINI and put spinners on it while you are sleeping. Just kidding again. Or am I? Muahahahaha!

..."I'm riding spinners, I'm riding spinners..." (music fades out)
1. well not 20 inch dubs....but 18s and 19s, yes

2. They are no different then any other non-oem rim on a MINI. I would venture to guess that you see far more aftermarket rims in the bigger size range (17+) than in the smaller sizes (15s, 16s)

3. Luckily i just put on wheel locks

Old 06-18-2006, 10:02 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
And now I have the "I'm rinding spinners" song stuck in my head. I may be wrong, but doesnt the word dubs mean 20"+?

Old 06-18-2006, 10:14 PM
DOPAMINE
5th Gear
dubs...west coast slang for 20 sack of chronic..meaning 20s'.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:55 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
And now I have the "I'm rinding spinners" song stuck in my head. I may be wrong, but doesnt the word dubs mean 20"+?
could easily be true....i dont follow that stuff

If its true....i misused the word.

Old 06-19-2006, 11:03 AM
acitydweller
6th Gear
HEY, Laguna Seca Blue!!!

Now back to the dubs, I found this one and I like it:

Old 06-19-2006, 01:26 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by acitydweller
HEY, Laguna Seca Blue!!!
yup thats actually the eurotuner MINI, but someone borrowed it for SEMA that year to show off their new tires that would fit dubs on compacts.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:35 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
There one guy out here locally that built a show mini with " DUBS " 20 inch rims. He got it to the point where he could actually drive it on the street instead of just changing wheels and then pushing it into the show . The Mini finally had enough of the humiliation and commited suicide. Hit a big pot hole, pinched the narrow side wall, blew out the tire and totalled the car.

DUB also stands for D oesnt U se B rains .

Randy

Old 06-19-2006, 03:39 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
I'm for folks having fun with a fun car however they want. The opinion ***** here and elsewhwere are really tiresome.

A freind recently told me..."Life is short, and once you're dead it's for a real long time so...Do what makes you happy in life." Hot Rodders sure understand that. They try different things and sometimes they are extreme. The SCC crowd does that in thier own way too.

Mounting DUB's or 19's, 18's, 17's, 16's or 15's.... many can work. All have strengths and weaknesses.

All please some and some please all.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:53 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JCW Driver
I'm for folks having fun with a fun car however they want. The opinion ***** here and elsewhwere are really tiresome.

A freind recently told me..."Life is short, and once you're dead it's for a real long time so...Do what makes you happy in life." Hot Rodders sure understand that. They try different things and sometimes they are extreme. The SCC crowd does that in thier own way too.
Well put. Dang opinion *****. It is all about fun...party poopers!

Old 06-19-2006, 06:33 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by JCW Driver

Mounting DUB's or 19's, 18's, 17's, 16's or 15's.... many can work. All have strengths and weaknesses.

All please some and some please all.
very well said....all good points

One thing i would like to throw out there just for the sake of fun discussion though.

Hot Rodders sure understand that. They try different things and sometimes they are extreme.
Much of the work they do to stand out and maybe sometimes be "extreme" often exists in things that are truly one-offs. Like custom body work with metal, or a one-of-a-kind hinge for a door or something. To truly be different or unique one must diverge away from simple pre-made parts and bolt-ons. Hot-rodders don't establish their uniqueness with manufactured wheels simply because anyone could have those. True extreme hot-rodders go to further lengths getting/making custom parts or even custom wheels.

I fully respect the first person who did lambo doors on a non-lambo (how cool, and inventive), but i think you would agree that they wouldn't make you very different if you had them on your celica at an import show anymore. Many of my import friends have recognized this and are attempting to take the first step into something new. THAT'S what is important....taking a step and doing something that hasnt't been done before. That is where uniqueness lies, not in parts that are available to all others. And hopefully it's something that makes you happy and is catered to your taste

*note: i dont mean to imply that bolt-ons or manufactured parts are bad or "not-different". I just mean to say that you can really put yourself into the car and its styling by making your own modifications. And through doing this, really make it like no other car. Bolt-ons are also good to have on the car*

Old 06-20-2006, 10:14 AM
ragedmx
1st Gear
Aerokit ...

Originally Posted by RIVAL
does anybody know what body kit that is? i want that bumper.
Is Aero kit come w/ side spoilers too

Old 06-20-2006, 11:36 AM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
Oh my God, can there be anything more inappropriate and ghetto than these ridiculous looking things on a MINI?

Old 06-20-2006, 11:42 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Rick-Anderson
Oh my God, can there be anything more inappropriate and ghetto than these ridiculous looking things on a MINI?
Well thats a silly question. Of course there is. There are spinners (which I think would be awesome by the way), those wierd airlplane looking spoilers, umm...neon lights, hydrolics with 16 switches, gold name plates, and so much more. Dubs are just the beginning to the ghetto fun. To each there own though. I would totally sport dubs if they were driveable and affordable.