Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Stupid + Me = Mangled Rim

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 05:07 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stupid + Me = Mangled Rim

Less than 2 months ago, I purchased new rims (ASA AR1s) and I really rather like them. Unfortunately, my brain was apparently turned to pudding sometime between exiting my car and returning to it from a quick trip into the store. I COMPLETELY forgot that I was parked, as I usually am when possible, right next to an "island". Yay for end spots.

In my moment of stupidity, I cut the car (in a direction I didn't even want to go) into the curb of the island. Rode up on it... ON the rim.

It's gouged. it's scratched. It's ENTIRELY dreadful.

As I stood in the lawn, weeping into the Shoulder of Leif, he mentioned that he had a friend who had a friend who did a lot of wet sanding, and he thought that this guy might be able to fix it.

I feel like it's going to require a new rim, one way or another. even if this guy can somehow sand out the gouging (GOUGING... we're not talking about a few surface scratches) and polish up the lip of the rim, will it not be extra susceptible to corrosion? Can a rim really ever be "fixed" satisfactorily?

Any experience with such repairs?

I have NEVER done this before and cannot adequately express the misery and incompetance I feel. it's not even like their really expensive rims, but I love them. And I've just spent a fortune to get my car running again -- plus I washed him yesterday and Leif installed my chrome grille...

Major bummer.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:08 PM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
sorry to hear this....

its an alloy wheel, so corrosion wont be an issue. if it was a steel wheel, i might be worried about rust.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:13 PM
MandaBoo
6th Gear
Oh...so sorry Toast I just got a set of Flik Wasps myself (very similar to ASA AR1's) and I know that I would be crying if I did the same thing. They're so pretty

Old 06-19-2006, 05:20 PM
thefuturequeenofnebraska
6th Gear
Sorry to hear about your wheel!!!
(...and I can sympathize... I killed one of my JCW wheels an HOUR after getting it installed....)

I'm sure you can get it fixed... they can do amazing things to it and make it look new
Good luck!

Old 06-19-2006, 05:21 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry to hear. probably cheaper to just get a new one.

www.fixrim.com can do it, but not sure if it's worth getting repaired.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:23 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Aside from hearing my own femur crack, I can't think of a more sickening sound than that of new rim sssscccccccccccccrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraping off curb. I thought, for an honest 5 seconds, that I was going to puke.

I then burst into tears.

I ask about corrosion only because the BBS rims on Leif's Jetta are clearcoated alloy, but there was apparently some sort of wide-spread problem with the clear coat and they've developed a spider-webby sort of corrosion pattern beneath it. I do not want this.

Thanks for the support. I'm pleased I have the day off tomorrow, for appropriate mourning and wallowing.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:28 PM
okraD La
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Sorry to hear about this, Will it be cheaper to get 1 new rim and save the scratchy one as a spare for emergencies???Just a thought..

Old 06-19-2006, 05:41 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by OmToast
Aside from hearing my own femur crack, I can't think of a more sickening sound than that of new rim sssscccccccccccccrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrraping off curb. I thought, for an honest 5 seconds, that I was going to puke.

I then burst into tears.
Sorry to hear this!! I would have done exactly the same thing, but probably cursed a wee bit first

While I can offer no helpful insight, know that I'll be with you in spirit!

Since you're home now, maybe a libation will help?

Annette

Old 06-19-2006, 05:55 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
This is a bummer toastie. I know I would have a fit if I curbed one of mine. Depending on the damage, I would probably spring for a new wheel, because I'm not sure I would ever really trust the repaired wheel to hold up under stress.

After viewing some of the before and after pics on the website kenchan posted I know I wouldn't have fixed some of those rims although the finished products do look good.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:09 PM
vargasgal
5th Gear
Not sure if this remotely applies to your situation...I came across this article and am going to try it with my rims:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/realwhda.html

When I called around, I was quoted $150 a tire for repairing mine. I have seen my wheels new, or darn near, on ebay for $80-100. All I know is mine can't look any worse than they do now, so if it doesn't work, no real loss.

Let me know if you want to know where I ordered the Wurths paint from. I found it for about $16 if I remember correctly.

Old 06-19-2006, 07:15 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Libations have been consumed... 1 white russian (for immediate fix) then a bottle of homebrew. I feel a little better about the whole thing, now.

Randy... therein lies the rub: Like you, I don't think I'd trust it. I also think, despite fabulous pictures, I'd either fictionalize some little difference between the damaged rim and his untouched bretheren, or I'd just be paranoid waiting for some subsidiary damage to show up.

Plus... you know... they're new...

Seriously, thanks guys I was crying (quite literally) to my mum, and she just kept telling me that I was ****

Old 06-20-2006, 07:53 PM
Merkursport
4th Gear
It could be worse. Up here in Michigan a poster on Michiganminis.org bent ALL FOUR wheels on one very bad stretch of road. On the same day, at the same time. Broke two wheels, bent two and trashed the tires too. I think that it was her last time on 18"s. Whew.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:09 PM
chrisneal
6th Gear
Man, I hate when that happens! Are we gonna get to see some photos of the carnage? Sorry to hear...

Old 06-20-2006, 08:41 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Merkursport
It could be worse. Up here in Michigan a poster on Michiganminis.org bent ALL FOUR wheels on one very bad stretch of road. On the same day, at the same time. Broke two wheels, bent two and trashed the tires too. I think that it was her last time on 18"s. Whew.
probably got dual mushrooms growing under the bonnet too. well,
shouldn't laugh as it's someone's problem...

Old 06-20-2006, 09:03 PM
qwertmonkey
6th Gear
I dont get it. Were you in the lawn or at the gas station...

jk

Old 06-20-2006, 09:45 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
i usually just use the restroom.

huh?

Old 06-21-2006, 03:13 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
Another great line for the Omtoast archives!

Originally Posted by OmToast

Old 06-21-2006, 04:36 PM
Nuff
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
What a nightmare!! This reminds me of when my wife and I bought our old Audi A6 Avant (it's been replaced since). We only had it for a couple of days when someone "poked" our rear bumper. We had 2 screw indentations (from their front license plate) in our rear bumper. To make matters even worse, it wasn't even centered!!

P.S. For some reason, the sound of a femur cracking is echoing in my head. Thanks a lot.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:12 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Sorry toast, I can't help you with this.
I am thinking of creating some sort of plastic bubble that you can load your car in and drive around while not having to worry about these little "incidents".

Old 06-21-2006, 05:28 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PARTSMAN109
Sorry toast, I can't help you with this.
I am thinking of creating some sort of plastic bubble that you can load your car in and drive around while not having to worry about these little "incidents".
Make sure to engineer in that famous MINI road-feel into your plastic bubble system, Partsie!

Toast, I agree with okraD LA: get a new rim and use the damaged one for a spare. You will NEVER trust the repaired one.....

Old 06-21-2006, 05:41 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Make sure to engineer in that famous MINI road-feel into your plastic bubble system, Partsie!
Absolutely, clo. The feel will be so real, you won't even know it's there!
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Toast, I agree with okraD LA: get a new rim and use the damaged one for a spare. You will NEVER trust the repaired one.....
I agree with this solution as well, just think of the tears saved when you get a flat and you can just go home and grab the spare that actually matches the other 3 wheels. I have a couple of 17" Dunlop OE run flats if you need one for a spare.

Old 06-22-2006, 03:04 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Well OmToast, I feel for you.

I just bought a newer BMW M3 and had a carbon fiber ACschnitzer lip spoiler mounted. I let a car enthusiast freind drive it with me, and as he parked the car, he pulled in too far to the parking spot, and hit the sidewalk dead on. The sidewalk was about a half inch higher than the spoiler, so the spoiler flexed, snapped and then rode over the sidewalk, scraping all the way.

The moment before it happened I thought 'He'll stop here.." When he didn't I inexplicably didn't say anything. I froze. "Crunch!" Was the only sound we heard.

At $1,700 bucks for an authentic replacement, or $700 for a replica, it was an expensive moment of silence for me.

BTW, your rim will be cheaper to repalce than have refinished I suspect. Many wheel refinishing companies do a realyl wonderful job, but the Wasp is probably cheaper to just replace. I run a set of 18"s on our Audi A4, and had a chunk taken out of one recently. Gotta order one myself.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:36 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
so did toast get a new wheel yet?

JCW- dang, that's an expensive crunch.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:19 PM
OmToast
OVERDRIVE
Joaquin, I thought of you! "Hm... wonder if Joaquin has a spare rim in his bag o' tricks...?"

I haven't ordered a new rim yet, because Leif is ordering some do-it-yourself wet sanding kit for his own rims, and I thought I'd at least give that a try. I've never actually had expectations this low, but if he orders it soon enough I may as well at least try it.

I don't have any pics because I can't actually look at it. Even now. Leif has, though, and he assures me that the gore is not as bad as I say it is (I don't believe him).

Ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhheyeyeyeyeyyyeyeyeyey yeyeeeee... I can still hear it. it haunts me.

It wakes me in the middle of the night.

Eeeeeeeeeeep.

(PS. JCW, that story hurts me. It causes me physical pain - Ow. That sucks)