Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Hawk HP+ feedback please

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 05:51 PM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hawk HP+ feedback please

I'm going to try some Hawk HP+ front pads on my stock front rotors for an upcoming DE, I hope to get a little more bite coming down off that long front straight. Just how rough on the rotors might I expect them to be? Can I leave them on for a week or two until the next autocross, or do I really need to swap them out for the stock pads when I get home? Any feedback from HP+ users appreciated.

Old 06-21-2006, 06:27 PM
Mineon
4th Gear
I've had Hawk HP+ pads on several vehicles. They are perfectly streetable, they just will have more noise and dust (and grip) than stock. If you want a dedicated race pad, there are better choices than the HP+ pads.

-Keith

Old 06-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Grassroots Garage
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Bullfrog,
From what I understand, you will be fine leaving these on. The only reason to swap out to your oem pads would be to let them wear out and have them replaced by the dealer while the cars is still in warranty.
--Dan

Old 06-21-2006, 07:13 PM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
Thanks, Keith. I'm sure there are better track pads, but I wouldn't call myself an ultra track rat or anything, I just enjoy getting out there, hammering around, and trying to get better. I've never actually had any problem with braking, (it's Justacooper! and I'm not carrying as much speed). If HP+ pads are streetable, that would be a plus for me, since I wouldn't have to swap them as often. I don't think a little extra noise will bother me. Thanks for your input, it helps.

Old 06-22-2006, 04:45 AM
gt6
5th Gear
I prefer the HPS over the HP+, they are very nice for HPDE's and still have quite a bit less dust than stock, and less squeel than the HP+. I've used them on several cars now and love them.

Old 06-22-2006, 05:24 AM
CooperStL
2nd Gear
I leave my HP+ pads on for weeks at a time after DE's. Just be sure to use Permatex or an anti-squeal. The performance of the pads has been outstanding with moderate rotor wear. I also highly suggest brass brake bushings. At least on the front. They are easy to put on and you can lube them when changing out pads.

Old 06-22-2006, 09:10 AM
Duane
2nd Gear
MINI Brake Pads

I hate to be the fly in the ointment, but I can tell you from experience that neither the Hawk HPS or the HP+ are track pads and should do not be used for anything above autocross.

The street and the track are two seperate worlds that require different pads. For the street most people prefer a low dust, low noise pad with a good cold initial bite. All of these characteristics are not found in a track pad, BUT a track pad has a MUCH Higher MOT (Maximum Operating Temperature) which can be generated on the track. Yes, there will always be people that will take their street pads on the track and their track pads on the street, but it is not even a good plan.

The pads on MINIs are so easy to change in the front (the only ones you need to change for the track) and I have gotten it down to less than ten minutes once the car is in the air.

If you are running a more peformance-oriented tire than the stock tires, I can't see the pads lasting less than half a day.

Old 06-23-2006, 05:23 PM
NC TRACKRAT
6th Gear
Received 232 Likes on 169 Posts
I'm an instructor and have just recently acquired my '05 MCS. Just changed to HP+ pads and have run 2 events so far with reasonably good results. Not as good a bite as HP Blues but certainly not disappointing. Decided to put HP+ on the rears as well, along w/bronze bushings and SS pins all around. Running VIR 2 week-ends in a row in July and will let you know how they do.