Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Which wheels for winter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 01:23 PM
Adnuo
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which wheels for winter?

I have two sets of MINI wheels -- a 17" set of S-Lites, and a 16" set of the older-style 5-spokes that I can't find any pictures of around -- I can provide some later if needed. I'm so utterly sick of the poor RunFlats and feeling like my back is going to break every time I run over a pebble, I'm getting new tires ASAP. I plan on getting some Goodyear Eagle F1's for summer and probably some Bridgestone Blizzak's or Dunlop Winter Sport M3's for handling these Minnesota winters. My question is, which wheels should I use for which season? I assume the larger, wider 17" wheels will be better for summer, while the smaller 16" wheels will provide more ground contact for winter?

I'm sure I'm not the only person doing this, so what's the general consensus on season-adequate tires? And when should I change them over? I assume I should put the winter wheels on sometime around late October when winter is on the edge of coming in, just so I'm not left on summer tires when we get a nice 6" drop, and I should switch back to my summer tires when the all the ice has melted away in mid-April?

Any input is appreciated.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:33 PM
dimini
6th Gear
My question is, which wheels should I use for which season? I assume the larger, wider 17" wheels will be better for summer, while the smaller 16" wheels will provide more ground contact for winter?
Yes, go with 16's in the winter. The price will be better, too. Or, you might consider other options like:

1) Sell or trade the 17" S-lites for 16" x-lites and run on 16's year round.

2) Sell or trade the S-lites for 15" OEM "Holeys". Use the 15's for winter and your current 16's for summer.

If you get lots of snow, definitely go with the dedicated snow tires, then trade out to your choice of summer tires. Run Flats are harsh, especially the 17'' ones. There's quite a noticeable ride quality difference between 16" RF versus non-RF. My non-RF's are considerbaly more comfortable than current OEM RF tires.

I have 16" Michelin Pilot Exalto m&s (all-season non-RF) that I ran full-time on my previous MINI, and I plan to continue using them as winter tires. They are adequate in snow, but not great. Everywhere else, they've been very good. They are not cheap, though.

When to change out your tire/wheel combos? If you have a garage, buy a $40 floor jack and do it yourself. That way, you spend only 20 minutes at home and you're ready to settle in... you can even wait until the night of the first storm!

Or, keep an eye on the forecast and try to get into a tire shop a few weeks before winter sets in. Nothing like sitting around in a tire shop lounge watching Happy Days re-runs on a worn out tv. Especially if it's on a CROWDED first snow of the year evening!

Old 06-27-2006, 04:01 PM
jimmy_racoon
3rd Gear
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
15's for Winter

I'm in the Twin Cities and went with 15's. Actually they are 175/65R-15 All Season by Continental. I use them year round due to the light weight and great handling. Also, in deep winter, the extra inches in the wheel well help keep out that wet packing snow (see pics).

Nothing like a Winter Motor!

Motor on.

Attached Thumbnails Which wheels for winter?-mini-snow-2.jpg  

Last edited by jimmy_racoon; 01-12-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Adnuo
1st Gear
dimini -- Thanks for all the advice! I bought floor ramps to work on my old car, as I ended up doing a lot to the drivetrain, and I see them as being one of the best car investments I've made. I'll probably pick up a good floor jack as well, as scissor jacks just don't quite cut it

As for getting different rims, I'm really just too lazy, especially for an inch difference. I love the look of the S-Lites, and as far as weight goes, I got about a 2 pound difference between my S-Lites and my 16" 5-spokes, even though I had heard elsewhere that the S-Lites were very heavy.

jimmy -- Glad to see another Minnesota motorer! 15's aren't a bad idea, as I remember how much of a problem gathered ice and snow (that eventually turned to solid ice) was with my Maxima a few cars back, but like I said above, I'm really just too lazy to be bothered :/. I can't wait to get some cool winter-motif pictures (which shouldn't be hard, considering how long the winters here last) .

As far as the tire choices go, anyone have anything good or bad to say about the Goodyear Eagle F1's for summer, and Dunlop Winter Sport M3's for winter?

Old 06-28-2006, 04:16 AM
jonnieoh
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the Blizzaks mounted to 15-inch steel wheels, a package I got from the Tire Rack. I don't know how the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's ride, but here's my impression of the Blizzaks:

In snow, slush and ice, they are really amazing. They make the MINI feel like it can get through anything. (Even though the 4 inch ground clearance from the low front air dam makes the car a snow plow in the deep stuff).

But, on dry winter pavement, the feel mushy and overly treaded. I'm not sure if we can have our cake and eat it too, but the Blizzaks love the snow, but are not a performance tire. Trying to carve corners in dry conditions during those times you get a nice clear winter day, and are feeling like you want to motor a bit more enthusiastically, you'll easily see the handling limits of these tires.

So, if you get only a few big snow storms each winter, and the rest of the time is pretty much dry pavement, maybe these aren't the tires for you.

But should you have nearly constant stuff on the ground all winter, then by all means, go with the Blizzaks.

Perhaps someone else can compare them to the Dunlops for you. I'd look on Tire Rack.com because each tire has buyer impressions. You can read how people like each tire. Many times, buyers will have already compared various brands of tires, so you may find the comparison you need there...

Old 06-28-2006, 07:36 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We run 16" Panasports (IMO, what the S-Lite should have been) with Goodyear F1's in the Summer, and Dunlop M3's on 15" Holies in the Winter. Personally, I don't like the way 17" or larger wheels look on a MINI, so I was happy to see the OE S-Lites go.

The 15"ers were chosen because they give a taller sidewall for unseen slush-holes and the narrower width of the tire cuts through better. Plus, the tires are cheaper.

My view of the M3's vs. Blizzaks (which I have on my car). Blizzaks when new are great - they have incredible grip and really give you an "I can go anywhere" feeling. However, dry and wet traction leaves something to be desired and after a few thousand miles, the snow performance drops off a bit as well. The M3's on the MCS have been more consistant over their life. I plan to replace the Blizzaks with M3's after next season.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:04 PM
geowit
3rd Gear
I have 195/50-16 Hankook Ice Bear 300's on my factory v-spokes for the winter and they survived the Tour de Nord to Newfoundland in February. They were relatively inexpensive and they seem to be holding up well.

I run 215/45-17 Dunlop FM901s for the summer on Konig Holes. I tried the 205/40-17s in a Yoko and they were just too severe a ride. The FM901s are a little soft on the wear rating (200) and basically only lasted a year.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:20 PM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
What 15" wheels will fit on a MCSc? I would like to get a set now before the winter rush. I will use Dunlop Winter Sport M3's. I have the M2's on my car and love them.

Old 06-28-2006, 05:58 PM
MisterDangerPants
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have S-Lites with 215/45/17 Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50. I pretty much made it through everything this past winter.

Attached Thumbnails Which wheels for winter?-mini2.jpg   Which wheels for winter?-mini3.jpg  
Old 06-28-2006, 07:02 PM
njbed
1st Gear
Another Twincities dweller here. I don't drive the Mini in the winter(driveway/parking issues ), however the majority of the SotaMini's group run Blizzaks on 15" steel wheels due to the salt. A few run all seasons on 16" stock rims and they say they do fine. The summer tyres are used are alot more varied. Yokos ES100 or Prada and F-1's are the most common. I run Yoko ES100 205/45/16's. The ride is night and day from runflats. I also run Falken Azenis 615 205/40/16 when on my way to auto cross and the ride is pretty rough, not as bad as the runflats but close. If you haven't found SotaMini's on the net come visit
http://www.sotaminis.com

Old 06-29-2006, 07:32 AM
IanF
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wrx_xb9r
What 15" wheels will fit on a MCSc?
As long as you don't have non-stock (or JCW) brakes, any OE 15" wheel will be fine.

Old 06-29-2006, 08:52 AM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
Originally Posted by IanF
As long as you don't have non-stock (or JCW) brakes, any OE 15" wheel will be fine.
Thanks. I will have something ordered over the weekend. A lot of choices out there.

Old 06-29-2006, 07:58 PM
Adnuo
1st Gear
Thanks to everyone who has responded! I think it's final that I'll get Goodyear Eagle F1's on the 17's and Dunlop Winter Sport M3's on the 16's over the Blizzaks because of things said and the way they were rated on tirerack. I just locked in a deal on a replacement S-Lite, and then I'll get my F1's.

Old 07-11-2006, 12:09 PM
JustJAY
6th Gear
Hey all, I just checked Tire Rack and the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's are out of stock. I than checked Mr. Tire and they say that they are discontinued!

Old 07-11-2006, 01:30 PM
wrx_xb9r
4th Gear
Originally Posted by JustJAY
Hey all, I just checked Tire Rack and the Dunlop Winter Sport M3's are out of stock. I than checked Mr. Tire and they say that they are discontinued!
Probably something new coming out this season. I had the same problem a few years ago when I tried to get Winter Sport M2's. I ended up finding some but then a few weeks later the M3's were anounced.