Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

TCE Rear Bake Kit Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 10:40 AM
WorksMiniS
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TCE Rear Bake Kit Question

I have a 2006 MCS withe the 16" V-Spoke wheels. I am not happy with the brake bias on the car and wanted to put the rear kit on the car to "balance" out the braking.

So my question is this: Can I run the TCE Rear Brake Kit with the V-Spoke wheels?

Going to a bigger wheel is not an option at this time. I will need to run all-season tire for part of the year.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:24 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
The rear kit will fit any 16" wheel as it uses the stock caliper on a larger rotor. However it will not fit a 15" wheel without the need to grind the caliper bridge for clearance.

Changing the rear rotor will alter bias to the rear as you wish. How much?
Use the bias calculator in the "Tool Box" on the TCE page and populate your data to find out.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:50 PM
WorksMiniS
1st Gear
Thank-you very much for your quick responce. I searched and read so many posts but did not see this particular question anywhere.

Old 07-09-2006, 06:57 PM
pure&simple
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by WorksMiniS
I have a 2006 MCS withe the 16" V-Spoke wheels. I am not happy with the brake bias on the car and wanted to put the rear kit on the car to "balance" out the braking.
No disrespect, but are you sure you know what you're doing? I'm assuming that you're tracking the car because I can't imagine any benefit to this on the street. Of those who are pushing the envelope of track performance on this forum, I know of no one who has complained about the brake bias. Unless you've spoken with someone knowledgeable who has done this with good results, you might be asking for trouble by "blazing the trail". Again, no offense... just trying to save you some potential grief.

Also, don't all Minis come with Electronic Brake Distribution (EBD) standard? Doesn't this feature adjust the brake bias dynamically based on the slip detected by the ABS sensors? So maybe you would bias the brakes more to the rear in normal operation, but then when the ABS takes over it would adjust the bias electronically to whatever it's programmed to do.

Old 07-09-2006, 07:54 PM
WorksMiniS
1st Gear
No disrespect taken. As for the question "do you know what you are doing?" the answer is yes. I have a honda that was heavily modified. I had a larger brake set up in the rear than I did in the front. It worked nicely for some trail braking over-steer and it greatly reduced squat on heavy braking.

You may never have heard of anyone complain about bias but also understand that 99% of people drive a car with a very very heavy front bias. I have done it and enjoyed.

The last thing you stated is what realy catches my attention. A month or so ago Sport Compact Car magazine did an atricle about their project TC. They went to great lengths to get a greater bias to the rear and were ultimatly defeated by the EBD. If the mini has this then I am up the creek.

So no insult taken and thanks for the heads up about the EBD. If you ever get to drive a car with a larger rear brake bias it would strongly recomend it. You will be very surpised at how much better it "feels".

Thanks for the counter point.

PS I know i spell like a three-year-old.

Old 07-10-2006, 10:58 AM
pure&simple
3rd Gear
Yeah, you'll get more rear bias until ABS takes over, but I'm not sure that matters. I need to get many more track days under my belt first, but I'll keep that in mind as a way to improve brake feel... perhaps on my next car.