Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Autocross Wheel/Tire Storage

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 06:42 PM
resipsamcs
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Autocross Wheel/Tire Storage

I recently purchased autocross wheels/tires and I am looking for tips on how to store them when not in use. I have seen tips on stacking and covering the wheels and mounted tires and welcome any ideas that will help prolong the life of the tires. One question that I have is what sort of tire pressure should I set the tires at when they are stored and not in use?

Len

Old 07-24-2006, 04:01 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generally, I think you want to keep them indoors (don't let them freeze in your garage), keep them in bags away from ozone sources, and lay them on their sides.

However, I've never had a set of r-compounds that was as fast the next year as they were the year before. I just always buy new ones in the spring. Except for this year, when I decided to just autocross on Azenis instead Not changing tires at the event rules Getting hosed on the index isn't so much fun, but laziness trumps competitiveness pretty much every time.

Old 07-24-2006, 06:30 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Old 07-24-2006, 07:44 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by satay-ayam

However, I've never had a set of r-compounds that was as fast the next year as they were the year before. I just always buy new ones in the spring. Except for this year, when I decided to just autocross on Azenis instead Not changing tires at the event rules Getting hosed on the index isn't so much fun, but laziness trumps competitiveness pretty much every time.
agreed.... never goin back to v710s again... im getting completely hosed locally so probably gonna run azenis next year, with ra1s reserved for the track

Old 07-26-2006, 12:34 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by resipsamcs
I recently purchased autocross wheels/tires and I am looking for tips on how to store them when not in use. I have seen tips on stacking and covering the wheels and mounted tires and welcome any ideas that will help prolong the life of the tires. One question that I have is what sort of tire pressure should I set the tires at when they are stored and not in use?

Len
check this out-
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=EZ3&url=/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=37
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/tech/care/tire.html

I bag and stack my extra tires in my garage rather than outdoors. Over time the tires will get old and the rubber hardens some. Normally I store them at about 32 psi. I clean off debris from my track and autocross tires before I bag them. I check the rims and tires for any damage or excessive wear.

Last edited by Alex@tirerack; 07-26-2006 at 10:45 AM.