Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Drove 5 miles on a flat runflat Is the tire shot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2006, 12:47 PM
darkstar
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drove 5 miles on a flat runflat Is the tire shot?

Hi All,
I hit a pavement break caused by ground down blacktop no longer level with cement. Instant depressurization was the result, not to mention a dented R85 S-lite wheel. So here is my question.

I drove approx. 5 miles on the flat and kept the speed well under 50 MPH. Is the tire re-usable? It looks like the tire will clean up fine, with just slight scrape marks on the sidewall. What I don't know is if the sidewall has been compromised. All opinions appreciated!

Mike

Old 07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's probably toast...

the sidewalls of runflats are very, very stiff. If you hit hard enough to dent a rim, the sidewall had collapsed completely during the impact. If you really want to try and see if they can be saved, you have to have them dismounted and inspected on the inside as well.

Another way to go is to thing of this as a unique opportunity to go to a conventional tire.

Also, submit a claim to your state department of transportation. You may get it approved, and it will take a while, but a check will show up in your mail box. I got $600+ for a windshield based on rocks that hit mine in a construction zone.

Matt

Old 07-25-2006, 01:00 PM
npartist
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
More than likely the sidewall of the tire is damaged. They have metal reinforcement in there and if the metal is bent it will weaken the tire and make for an unbalanced ride. That could lead to heat build up and a blow out. The tire shop the fixes you tire will be able to tell you for sure depending on the damage to the tire. I don't think the 5miles of driving it is enough to significantly damage the tire but the impact could be.

Old 07-25-2006, 02:10 PM
scatpack
4th Gear
Heck.. I drove for 3 weeks on one! Just kept refilling the tire!

(Had nail in it)

I tossed it when i replaced the tire.

Old 07-26-2006, 09:52 AM
darkstar
Neutral
Thanks for the input

I have a new tire and R85 on order, which I'll pick up on Friday. My plan is to document carefully and go after a reimbursement from ODOT. I believe with a little perserverance, I'll get my money back. Interestingly, the pavement break I hit now has a blacktop ramp and is marked by "Bump" signs. If only someone would have done their job initially .

Thanks for everyone's input
Mike