Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Ditched the Run Flats

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 08:56 AM
jreaney
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ditched the Run Flats

Well after only 13000 miles the Dunlop OEM run flats on my 2005 Cooper S are done. After much deliberation I opted to avoid the run flats and go back to conventional.

I put on a set of Pirelli PZero Nero M+S (215/40/17).

Havent driven a whole lot yet but BOY - it is so much smoother and quiter. Seems a bit spongy in the corners, not quite as sharp, but still corners excellently. Hopefully these will last for a bit. Total cost 512 dollars installed.

Old 08-02-2006, 08:57 AM
F15EWeapon
5th Gear
Good choice and good price! I've been very happy with mine... they are wearing well, and I think the grip went up quite a bit from stock.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:04 AM
mini pooper
6th Gear
Here is a link to a recent news story on Run/Flats

http://cbs5.com/video/?id=15326@kpix.dayport.com

Old 08-02-2006, 11:11 AM
morknmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mini pooper
Here is a link to a recent news story on Run/Flats

http://cbs5.com/video/?id=15326@kpix.dayport.com
Thanks for that entertaining link. I wonder how Channel 5 found those MINI owners--probably friends of station staff.

Old 08-02-2006, 11:23 AM
morknmini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jreaney
Well after only 13000 miles the Dunlop OEM run flats on my 2005 Cooper S are done. After much deliberation I opted to avoid the run flats and go back to conventional.

I put on a set of Pirelli PZero Nero M+S (215/40/17).
Nice replacement tires! I sold my Dunlop runflats (and the wheels) at around 1000 miles. Wenzor bought them--and was I surprised when he and his girl friend fit all 4 of them into his sleek gray MCS. I told Wenzor I had 3 flats on those runflats--including an unpatched one that was being sold in the 4 (it went flat as I was driving to the wheel-tire shop!).

Because of all the flats I encountered I was paranoid about driving without runflats. Ran48 gave me advice on a spare tire. I used to carry that in my backseat until I read on NAM the hazzard of doing so (even in the trunk) in case of an accident.

I forgot my worries because I have driven a year (5500 miles--including a 1200 mile vacation) on my conventional Kumhos without getting a flat. I don't know why. I drive the on the same roads as when I had the Dunlops, but I have not gotten a flat. But just in case I carry a cell phone and belong to AAA.

Happy motoring.

Old 08-02-2006, 05:49 PM
JCW Driver
6th Gear
Good choice on the Pirellis.

I run a set as well, and have been quite happy.

Old 08-17-2006, 12:33 PM
ktlh2
Neutral
Tossing the runflats too

Okay, I'm new but having read as much as I can about run flats vs non run flats I think I am going to regular tires. I have a 2005 S and have gone through a total of 10 tires in 30,000 miles...you do the math!

The tire dealer is trying to keep me from ditching the run flats because if I have a blow out with such a low profile car I will end up with body damage or worse. What tires have worked best for the Mini's and what are you doing for a spare? Are you just going for the "mini" spare, the fix-a-flat cans or luck?!
Thanks,
Terri

Old 08-17-2006, 01:41 PM
inimmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the same thing, went with the P zero Nero M+S after 15K mi. However, I have the 16" wheels, so the tires are 205/50. They are quieter, softer riding, and have more of a spongy feeling when entering a sharp curve. On the other hand, they have a lot more grip. It takes a little getting used to, feeling the side wall flex when taking a curve with some G-forces, but overall I like the ride.

Old 08-17-2006, 02:02 PM
crazypoet
2nd Gear
What if...?

Originally Posted by ktlh2
The tire dealer is trying to keep me from ditching the run flats because if I have a blow out with such a low profile car I will end up with body damage or worse. What tires have worked best for the Mini's and what are you doing for a spare? Are you just going for the "mini" spare, the fix-a-flat cans or luck?!
I have pretty much the same question - for those of you who've traded-in the run-flats, do you just toss in a can of fix-a-flat, or do you just cross your fingers?

I've been in a lot of places where AAA doesn't reach, where getting a flat without a spare is just plain bad news.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:51 PM
bohunk
2nd Gear
Yes, I bought a can of fix-a-flat. I haven't had a flat in 15 years, but who knows- I could have one tomorrow. Maybe I should get a cell phone!

I got the Pirellis also.

Old 08-17-2006, 08:34 PM
dimini
6th Gear
On my previous '03 MCS, I ditched the 16" OEM runflats a year ago in favor of Michelin Pilot Exalto M&S (I think that's the correct name). These tires feel much better than the 16" OEM RF's. The Michelins are smoother, quieter, softer and corner better. On my '06 JCW, I run 16" Avon M500 performance non RF's and they are really, really great.

What do I do for spare? Play the odds. 90% of my mileage is local so I don't worry. Stupid, I know, but in my 30 years of driving, I've only had two roadside flats. I'll continue to take my chances. I'm considering the "stop leak" spray can option, though.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:43 PM
Petite Panda
4th Gear
I suppose this brings us all back into the question of what tires to buy...I am disappointed to admit that I think one of my run-flats has a slow leak, as the tire monitor detected this weekend. I do not want to replace them at over $300/tire when I'm not particularly happy with them in the first place. So I like the rough ride of 17" tires...doesn't anyone have any suggestions as to what my new tires should be...and also the price-tag, where to get, etc....

Old 08-21-2006, 12:29 PM
crazypoet
2nd Gear
Thanks!

Originally Posted by bohunk
Yes, I bought a can of fix-a-flat. I haven't had a flat in 15 years, but who knows- I could have one tomorrow. Maybe I should get a cell phone!

I got the Pirellis also.
I've had all the flats that you haven't. I get a nail or something in a tire at least once or twice a year. The can of fix-a-flat sonds like the option of choice.

Thanks, all!

Old 08-21-2006, 12:57 PM
Toaster
1st Gear
I was also contemplating getting rid of the runflats looking for a smoother ride and a tire that won't wear as fast as the OE Dunlops. But I drastically changed my mind two Saturdays ago when I fell into the mother of all potholes. Tried to avoid it, but with one truck at my right and a SUV at my left it was impossible. Right after the hit the Mini kept driving as if nothing happened, until the flat tire monitor came on. Yup, my front passenger tire got destroyed.

This happened on long trip on the highway, so the runflats were a real convenience. After checking the damage, I just turned around and returned home driving between 45 and 50 MPH.

My new tire is arriving this Thursday. The damage was two weeks without my Mini and big hole in my pocket. But the way the runflats behaved made a believer out of me.

Attached Thumbnails Ditched the Run Flats-tire2.jpg   Ditched the Run Flats-tire1.jpg  
Old 08-21-2006, 01:19 PM
ducho99
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Toaster
I was also contemplating getting rid of the runflats looking for a smoother ride and a tire that won't wear as fast as the OE Dunlops. But I drastically changed my mind two Saturdays ago when I fell into the mother of all potholes. Tried to avoid it, but with one truck at my right and a SUV at my left it was impossible. Right after the hit the Mini kept driving as if nothing happened, until the flat tire monitor came on. Yup, my front passenger tire got destroyed.

This happened on long trip on the highway, so the runflats were a real convenience. After checking the damage, I just turned around and returned home driving between 45 and 50 MPH.

My new tire is arriving this Thursday. The damage was two weeks without my Mini and big hole in my pocket. But the way the runflats behaved made a believer out of me.
thats crazyI can't beleave the hole thats in the tire wow

Old 08-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Jacob
2nd Gear
215/40 17's - What Pressure are Folks Using?

Just installed the Pirelli PZero Neros and started at 38 psi. What tire pressure are folks using? At 38 psi,the ride is way more comfortable than the runflats, but I'm looking for rim protection and even wear.

Old 08-29-2006, 03:20 PM
camminich
5th Gear
I too have PZero Nero A/S tyres (215 45 R17). I have been running 34psi in all 4. It is great for ride, and handling. Plus too they wear very nicely. I have about 15k miles on the them now, and they still look almost new. Just roated them out last week and they are still very flat across.

Now if there was just some way to keep the darn wheels from sticking.

Old 08-29-2006, 04:05 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Petite Panda
...I am disappointed to admit that I think one of my run-flats has a slow leak, as the tire monitor detected this weekend. I do not want to replace them at over $300/tire when I'm not particularly happy with them in the first place...
Good lord what RF tires are you using at $300 per tire ? Pirelli high performance RF are only $185 per tire for 17's. I know some of the Goodyears are more but the Pirellis are excellent. You should try checking Tire Rack because there are plent of choices for RF (& non-RF) at much lower prices there

Old 09-02-2006, 12:10 AM
paulo500
3rd Gear
It seems once someone has experienced an incident with the runflats, they tend to be a believer and stick with them. So i guess its a trade off...How has your 'luck' been in the past with flat tires!
Ive been leaning towards the non-runflat tires once my stock tires need to be replaced, and keep a can of that fix-a-flat stuff handy...But then i heard that that stuff can interfere with our tires pressure sensors? (extremely gummy).
I've hit a huge pot hole last year. The black-hole was about 3 feet in diameter and about 8" deep...right in town! Traffic all around I couldn’t avoid it. Tore the #$%# out of my good Nokian Hakkapeliitta snow tire and bent my rim (on my Honda Accord). I suppose run flats would have been great in that case...especially since my spare tire was also flat! :impatient

Old 09-02-2006, 01:01 AM
SMC
2nd Gear
It should be ditched as it was not designed since day one

Read this http://motoringfile.com/page/7/

Old 09-03-2006, 06:51 PM
jefeant
2nd Gear
Congratulations! Welcome to the club.

I'm running 225x45x17 General UHP's and I'm very happy with them. $90 each plus great handling and response dry and wet. 35# all around. Carry a bottle of Slime plus a compressor. LOL.

Old 09-03-2006, 10:40 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Originally Posted by Petite Panda
I suppose this brings us all back into the question of what tires to buy...I am disappointed to admit that I think one of my run-flats has a slow leak, as the tire monitor detected this weekend. I do not want to replace them at over $300/tire when I'm not particularly happy with them in the first place. So I like the rough ride of 17" tires...doesn't anyone have any suggestions as to what my new tires should be...and also the price-tag, where to get, etc....
Run flats are known for slow leaks around the bead contacvt with your wheels. This supposed to be a product defect but I cannot get anyone to admit it. My tire guys suggest dismounting and remounting the tire to improve bead contact anbd therefore bead sealing with runflats.

My suggestion, if yours are like my run-flats is to just keep filling them up periodically and just replave them when the wear-bars tell you to.

Paul