Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Kumho ECSTA MX vs Azenis 615

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 09:56 AM
goaljnky
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kumho ECSTA MX vs Azenis 615

I am about to get new rims and tires as a dedicated set for autoX. Getting R compounds is a little outside my budget right now, so I am trying to find the best tire for the money. I know a lot of people use the Azenis. But does anyone have any experience with the Kumhos? How do they compare? All opinions are welcome.

Old 08-06-2006, 04:06 PM
goaljnky
Banned
No one?

Old 08-06-2006, 04:17 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cant help much, but on my friend's mini he has 615s and he is running 2 seconds faster than me... fyi, im on true street tires, and our cars are setup differently, but yeah.... not much help!

Old 08-06-2006, 05:40 PM
morknmini
6th Gear
Perhaps you haven't got responses because such a specific question requires NAM's tire experts. I have Kumho Ecstas on my MCSa but don't know anything about Azenis. And I don't autocross (previous indulgent life). But I wonder if you considered Bridgestone. My fave mechanic, who has built and campaigned a racing MINI, has Bridgestones on his own MCS. He recommended them to me (along with Konis) for better performance.

Old 08-06-2006, 06:06 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Bridgstones tend to be more expensive. And having just taken a look at the TireRack website, their hight performance tires don't come in the 205/50/15 size that I am looking for. Well, one model did, but it was nearly $20 more a tire than the other "contenders".

Old 08-06-2006, 06:44 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Both the MX and the Falken have done well in national-level STS and STX autocross. I think the Falkens are generally considered to be the best STS tire, but I think you'd be happy with either tire.

Old 08-06-2006, 10:48 PM
Mineon
4th Gear
I used to autocross a Neon in STS (similar weight and hp to a stock Cooper S), and tried the Kumho MX's and the Azenis 215 (older model) tires. The Azenis definitely had more ultimate dry grip, especially if running both unshaved. On the right car with the right driver with the right setup, shaved MX's have proven to be as fast as the Falken Azenis, but most people still choose the Azenis. Most people don't want to shave their tires, and if that is the case in your situation, definitely go with the Azenis. I had one set of the MX's, but had the Azenis in three different sizes over the years, and I'll be buying another set of the (new 615) Azenis for my Miata in the near future.

-Keith

Old 08-06-2006, 11:10 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by Mineon
I used to autocross a Neon in STS (similar weight and hp to a stock Cooper S), and tried the Kumho MX's and the Azenis 215 (older model) tires. The Azenis definitely had more ultimate dry grip, especially if running both unshaved. On the right car with the right driver with the right setup, shaved MX's have proven to be as fast as the Falken Azenis, but most people still choose the Azenis. Most people don't want to shave their tires, and if that is the case in your situation, definitely go with the Azenis. I had one set of the MX's, but had the Azenis in three different sizes over the years, and I'll be buying another set of the (new 615) Azenis for my Miata in the near future.

-Keith
Good input. Most likeley I will not be shaving them. But they will be seeing double duty as my wife and I share the car at the events. So they should get down to the proper thread height pretty quick.

Old 08-07-2006, 07:40 PM
rcman
1st Gear
Not to confuse you but, you may want to check into the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212. I am also looking for a track tire and do not want to go to R-componds yet.
I am leaning to the 615s alot of people at the track seem to like them alot,the only down side to the 615s is they are not good in standing water.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:09 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by rcman
Not to confuse you but, you may want to check into the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212. I am also looking for a track tire and do not want to go to R-componds yet.
I am leaning to the 615s alot of people at the track seem to like them alot,the only down side to the 615s is they are not good in standing water.
Water is not a big issue for me. This will be a dedicated set for AutoX only and in SoCal we don't get a lot of rain. (cross my fingers)

Old 08-07-2006, 08:22 PM
polizei
6th Gear
Yea....not to sure how well they hold up in auto-x use...but my friend is running the Kumho's as daily driver's on his mustang. They sure do grip very nicely driving around town.

I would bet the Azenis are better as they seem more favorable.
-Cody

Old 08-07-2006, 09:11 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by polizei
Yea....not to sure how well they hold up in auto-x use...but my friend is running the Kumho's as daily driver's on his mustang. They sure do grip very nicely driving around town.

I would bet the Azenis are better as they seem more favorable.
-Cody
I've got Yokohama AVS ES100 for my daily tires on both my cars in 215/40/17. Perfectly happy with them and they actually did well at the AutoX. Untill we doubled up on the driving (decided to use one car for all the events. MCS for long tracks and MCc for short). That is when they got really greasy on me at the end of the day. Hence the decision for a dedicated set and a switch to 15's. 15 inch Azenis are actually cheaper than 17 inch Yoko's, so as long as they last a season, I am happy.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:19 PM
joetc
1st Gear
Hey guy
I was thinking to change rim also but i looking for few offset some they are used 33 but some used 40 do anyone know which is best offset for minicooper thanks

Old 08-07-2006, 11:46 PM
goaljnky
Banned
Originally Posted by joetc
Hey guy
I was thinking to change rim also but i looking for few offset some they are used 33 but some used 40 do anyone know which is best offset for minicooper thanks
38-48 should work.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:21 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
I've autocrossed my Mini on probably as many different tires as anyone... OEM Contis (haha, once), AVS ES100's, V700's, V710s, and Azenis. The Azenis are WAY better than the ES100's. So if you're happy with the ES100's, you're going to be thrilled with the Azenis'.

Also, the Azenis are a fine rain tire. I don't know what people expect a tire to do in the water.