Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Tire rotation question

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:27 AM
soilsample
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire rotation question

Hello all,
It is time to rotate the tires on my MCS.
I'd like to take the car to my local tire shop. Is there any danger of him damaging the undercarriage with the jacks?

Are there any special precautions that I need to tell the shop before they lift the car?

Thanks
Donald

Old 08-10-2006, 10:59 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
If it is a tire specialty shop you should be OK.

If you have wheel locks then get the key handy and bring it with you.
Make sure that all of the wheel caps are put back and that you have the wheel lock when leaving. Check the air pressure and set it to about 35 to 37 psi with a good tire gauge.

How many miles do you have on the tires since the last tire rotation?
If it has been quite a few miles you can also computer balance the front tires- depends on how much life is left in them.

No problems with the undercarriage if the jack points are used- look for the black rubber blocks under the MINI in four spots- easy to locate.

Old 08-10-2006, 10:59 AM
Minirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by soilsample
Hello all,
I'd like to take the car to my local tire shop. Is there any danger of him damaging the undercarriage with the jacks?

Are there any special precautions that I need to tell the shop before they lift the car?

Thanks
Donald
Should not be an issue if they are a reputable shop. There are jack blocks on all 4 corners but the car will lift front and back tires on the same side from the front jack point. To rotate the tires back to front

Old 08-10-2006, 06:10 PM
soilsample
2nd Gear
Thanks for the help!

I bought the car used from the original owner. It has only been into the dealership for one oil change..... I'm not sure if the tires were rotated then or not. I suspect not. My conclusion is that I've got 20K miles on the car and never been rotated.

How many miles should I expec to get out of the stock 17" runflats?

Also looking ahead.... what are most of you guys replacing the stockers with when they're worn out?

Thanks again
Donald

Old 08-10-2006, 06:13 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
I had my tires rotated at Goodyear. It was $15. They did a fine job (I mean how hard is it to rotate tires )

Old 08-10-2006, 06:14 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
I think you're smart to rotate them ASAP. Stick a penny in the tread and compare the front to the rears. I bet the fronts have a lot more wear.

I'd also invest in a $40 jack, $10 torque wrench and $15 jack stands, all from Harbor Freight tools. You can do it yourself. It's really easy. (takes about 20 minutes)

Old 08-10-2006, 06:27 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if your tires are directional, you can do a swap with only one hydraulic
jack on the front jacking point. both the front and rear tires will lift
off the ground. should take no more than 15-20min

Old 08-10-2006, 07:06 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Thanks for the help!

Also looking ahead.... what are most of you guys replacing the stockers with when they're worn out?

Thanks again
Donald
Oh man, it depends on what you want/need. Do you want different tires for winter and summer? Do you want an all-season? There's lots of research to be done here. One thing you will almost hear unanimously is to get rid of those runflats asap. Why? They make the ride of the car much more harsh, they're heavy, and they're very expensive to replace. Not to mention the fact that they're just not that good, and you can have much better for half the price.

mb

Old 08-11-2006, 08:41 AM
bolar
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bamatt
I had my tires rotated at Goodyear. It was $15. They did a fine job (I mean how hard is it to rotate tires )

Take your center wheel covers off yourself. They will use a screwdriver to pry them out with and chip the wheel paint, or even mess up your plastic center caps . Use the tool in the bag in the boot.

If you ever get new tires take your valve stem caps off. This way you can put back on the nice stainless valve caps, rather than keep the plastic ones they give you .

Old 08-11-2006, 08:48 AM
bamatt
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bolar
Take your center wheel covers off yourself. They will use a screwdriver to pry them out with and chip the wheel paint, or even mess up your plastic center caps . Use the tool in the bag in the boot.

If you ever get new tires take your valve stem caps off. This way you can put back on the nice stainless valve caps, rather than keep the plastic ones they give you .
I have checkered valve stem caps. They didn't replace them w/plastic ones. I mean why would they?

Old 08-11-2006, 08:55 AM
Chappy
5th Gear
Hello all,

Thanks
Donald
Donald, I'm not sure where you are located, but Discount Tire stores are reputable and will rotate your tires for free. You can also buy their "road hazard" warranty which will include lifetime rotation (free) and balancing.

I use them religiously and have never had any problems with my Mini or any of my other vehicles.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:45 AM
2006mcsasteve
2nd Gear
Minihune, you mention that the balance might depend on how much tread is left, why? I am going for a rotation and balance (at least that is the plan), but my front sides are getting pretty thin (middle tread is still deep).

I get that slight vibration around 70mph, which is why I wanted a balance,
thanks!

Old 08-17-2006, 05:40 AM
tdm156
Ruling the curves
How often do most of you rotate. I have 16" Runflats myself but only have 3000 miles so far...but I am about to be putting alot of miles on in a short period of time so I am getting everything prepared

Old 09-16-2006, 07:29 AM
mitchman
5th Gear
I would make a habit of rotating them everytime you change your oil. That way you won't forget.