Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

JCW brakes for sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 06:58 PM
fritznw
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JCW brakes for sale **SOLD 9/25**

Putting this out there to see if there is any interest. I have a new '06 MCS JCW and recently upgraded the front brakes to the Wilwood big brake kit. The JCW set off the car has 5000 miles on them w/ plenty of pad left. Looking at $700 plus shipping, also will accept local pick up in the Portland, OR area. PM me if you are interested. BTW, I'll be out of town for the weekend, so don't worry if I don't get back to you until Monday evening after work.

Dudley M.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:07 PM
bahawton
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'll be picking up my 06 MCS JCW in 7-10 days & the TCE package is sitting in my living room...

I'll sell the stock JCW brakes with 20 miles on them for $900 plus shipping to anyone interested.

I thought I had them pre-sold & both interested buyers flaked out on me : (

Old 08-10-2006, 07:14 PM
schooner2
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bahawton
I'll be picking up my 06 MCS JCW in 7-10 days & the TCE package is sitting in my living room...

I'll sell the stock JCW brakes with 20 miles on them for $900 plus shipping to anyone interested.

I thought I had them pre-sold & both interested buyers flaked out on me : (
Maybe you should start your own thread on selling your brakes. And P.S I just recieved my Brand new JCW brakes in factory box from Morristown Mini shipped to my door for 890.00 No miles on them! Just a FYI!!

Old 08-10-2006, 07:34 PM
acitydweller
6th Gear
Schooner2 is right. Morristown mini has up to 30% off factory parts, including jcw.

Originally Posted by schooner2
Maybe you should start your own thread on selling your brakes. And P.S I just recieved my Brand new JCW brakes in factory box from Morristown Mini shipped to my door for 890.00 No miles on them! Just a FYI!!

Old 08-10-2006, 07:52 PM
cooper99
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So how do the JCW brakes compare to Wilwood, Stoptech, Brembo, etc?

Old 08-12-2006, 12:06 AM
bahawton
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
WOW- Morristown mini is cheap!!!

Guess I'll have to re-adjust the price on my brakes if anyone PMs me...

Also, I went with the Wilwoods to save 20+lbs while being able to mount 16" wheels. I sure hope they work as good as the JCW parts!

Old 08-12-2006, 08:02 PM
pberry51mini
No Fear Gear
Originally Posted by cooper99
So how do the JCW brakes compare to Wilwood, Stoptech, Brembo, etc?
JCW brakes don't hold a candle to a properly set up Wilwood set.
You've made a good choice if you are switching to the other brands you've mentioned.

Old 08-14-2006, 06:41 PM
fritznw
2nd Gear
I agree with upgrading to Wilwood, ran a track day with them today and they were awesome, never faded once, always were there, even after 20 mins on Portland Int. Raceway. If no one is interested in the JCW brakes thats fine with me, I'll throw the box on the shelf, otherwise name a prise and we'll see what we can do. BTW, if you upgrade to Wilwood or any other big brake kit, upgrade the fluid as well. I completely flushed the system with RBF600.

Dudley

Old 08-26-2006, 01:00 AM
SheaJeff
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by fritznw
I agree with upgrading to Wilwood, ran a track day with them today and they were awesome, never faded once, always were there, even after 20 mins on Portland Int. Raceway. If no one is interested in the JCW brakes thats fine with me...
I was actually just searching on JCW brakes and saw your for sale post, but after reading, perhaps I should get the Wilwood instead?
How about the StopTech, or is that overkill?

Old 08-30-2006, 09:37 AM
fritznw
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SheaJeff
I was actually just searching on JCW brakes and saw your for sale post, but after reading, perhaps I should get the Wilwood instead?
How about the StopTech, or is that overkill?
Don't get me wrong, the JCW brake kit is a really good brake kit. It is a good upgrade over the stock MCS brakes. However, depending on your usage i.e. autoX or track use, there are advantages to the upgrade. I preferred the Wilwood over the Stoptech mainly because they provide more aftermarket wheel options without having to use spacers, since I mainly autoX either kit would have been a good choice.

Dudley

Old 09-12-2006, 08:07 PM
Eric B
3rd Gear
fritznw : still have your JCW kit up for sale?

does anyone else want to shed more light on how the JCW brake kit differs from the stock MCS brakes? Is it just a diameter difference on the rotor or are the JCW ones thicker too? I saw it comes with a new set of calipers too, are they 1 or 2 piston - I can't tell from the pic I saw.

Also I saw the wheel codes that it is compatible with but am unsure what the wheel code is for the S-Lites which are the wheels we have on our 06 MCS...

Anyways yeah... I'm curious for some input...

Thanks,

-e

Old 09-13-2006, 08:25 AM
polmear
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Eric B
does anyone else want to shed more light on how the JCW brake kit differs from the stock MCS brakes? Is it just a diameter difference on the rotor or are the JCW ones thicker too? I saw it comes with a new set of calipers too, are they 1 or 2 piston - I can't tell from the pic I saw.

Also I saw the wheel codes that it is compatible with but am unsure what the wheel code is for the S-Lites which are the wheels we have on our 06 MCS...

Anyways yeah... I'm curious for some input...

Thanks,

-e
JCW calipers are a larger single piston, and have a different sliding mechanism. The rotor is only a larger OD, not thicker; and they are compatible with s-heavies.

Old 09-13-2006, 08:53 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Most, if not all, your aftermarket kits come with fixed mount, multi piston, opposed type calipers. This alone places them in a class well above the JCW parts. Response, feel, weight and other things all are improved upon.

Brembos, Stoptechs and others as well as my larger TCE 13" kit all suffer the same basic problem on a typical FWD car: lack of room for such large parts. There is only so much space between the steering knuckle and the wheel spoke. Filling this with huge brakes can become quite difficult.

The Wilwood kits (and their cousins the TCE/ Wilwood kit) offer enhanced space due to the fit of a narrower rotor than those found on the beefier kits. Even on substantial track use the rotor mass has proven to be very effective so the need for 1.10" wide rotors is questionable.

More often than not kit choice comes down to fit and cost over what may be called the "very best" of the offerings. For the value these kits fill a very nice part of the market.

Old 09-13-2006, 12:14 PM
Duane
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by polmear
JCW calipers are a larger single piston, and have a different sliding mechanism. The rotor is only a larger OD, not thicker; and they are compatible with s-heavies.
The JCW Kit comes with a single 54mm piston (non-JCW is 48mm) and the rotor grows to a 294mm from a 276mm rotor and the thickness does not change.

Old 09-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Eric B
3rd Gear
Thanks for the replies.
BTW Can anyone compare the JCW pad material to common aftermarket ones like EBC, Hawk, etc?

Thanks,

-e