Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Kumho ASX vs Pirelli Pzero M+S

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 03:42 PM
jerjer
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kumho ASX vs Pirelli Pzero M+S

i'm seeking comments and advice on choosing one of these tires, and i'm having alot of trouble deciding. want to get some on-road opinion from you guys instead of just survey data from tirerack. doesn't exactly have to be comparison between the 2 tires, but want to get a general idea on these tires.

how they perform wet, dry, snow, cold, hot.. etc

which tire will i be more satisfy or real "bang for the buck"?

anything that helps! thanks guys !

Old 08-12-2006, 07:49 PM
CARVNIT
2nd Gear
I have had Pzero M+S on my MCS for a year and a half and IIRC about 12,000 miles. Initially I was very pleased with them as the OE tires were junk when I replaced them. However the first time I encountered rain I quickly realised a lack of cosistency in grip, it was very disalarming! But you shouldn't be 'pushing' in the rain anyway... In dry they are quite nice, don't sqeal prematurely nor does the sidewall 'flex' excessively when achieving maximum grip. HOWEVER the lack of grip in the snow/slush are amazingly scary! One moment you will be fine in the middle of the turn on fresh snow then instantaneously all grip is lost! Additionally traction on snow while accelerating is a total joke! Some of the slighest inclines are nearly impossible to climb to speed without becoming a nuisance in city traffic, and this is still the case with short-shifting as well. This past winter while going straight caught in traffic gently accelerating from 35mph in sixth gear I was near full lock as the car tried to slip off the road (~3-4" of accumulation) due to the minimal inherent camber on freeways. I STRONGLY DISCOURAGE ANYONE FROM BUYING THESE TIRES WHO LIVE IN THE "SNOWBELT!"

Old 08-12-2006, 11:38 PM
jerjer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by CARVNIT
I have had Pzero M+S on my MCS for a year and a half and IIRC about 12,000 miles. Initially I was very pleased with them as the OE tires were junk when I replaced them. However the first time I encountered rain I quickly realised a lack of cosistency in grip, it was very disalarming! But you shouldn't be 'pushing' in the rain anyway... In dry they are quite nice, don't sqeal prematurely nor does the sidewall 'flex' excessively when achieving maximum grip. HOWEVER the lack of grip in the snow/slush are amazingly scary! One moment you will be fine in the middle of the turn on fresh snow then instantaneously all grip is lost! Additionally traction on snow while accelerating is a total joke! Some of the slighest inclines are nearly impossible to climb to speed without becoming a nuisance in city traffic, and this is still the case with short-shifting as well. This past winter while going straight caught in traffic gently accelerating from 35mph in sixth gear I was near full lock as the car tried to slip off the road (~3-4" of accumulation) due to the minimal inherent camber on freeways. I STRONGLY DISCOURAGE ANYONE FROM BUYING THESE TIRES WHO LIVE IN THE "SNOWBELT!"
wow, thats quite disappointing to hear, how about in the rain? is it reasonable good? or is it as bad as in snow? i live on the west coast, and in winter it rains quite abit. so i do need some tires that can handle well in rain as well as in the dry. thanks for ur opinion, find that quite shocking and informative~!

Old 08-16-2006, 02:59 PM
mtrspt5
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by CARVNIT
I concur . . . won't buy them again as long as I live in the snow belt

Old 08-16-2006, 07:44 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just bought a set of Kumho ASX in 205-50-16 for my MINI. Great price & very good reviews at Tire Rack. wasn't the most important point. For snow my cars get 4 real snow tires when winter comes. They went on today, but when I get some miles on them I'll let you know what I think.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:48 PM
fluidsoul
1st Gear
I just put some 205/55/16 Kumho ASXs on a BMW that I drive regularly. Not too many miles on them, but enough for a very positive impression. Quiet, grippy, predictable. Not the stickiest I've driven on, but still good. Great price, decent treadwear rating... No wet time yet, but I suspect they will do well given their tread design. Tirerack wet ratings are pretty good. Thumbs up.

Cheers.

Old 08-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
I agree with what fluidsoul has just said. I'd also like to add that after driving in 2 rain storms over the past 2 days the rain performance is very good. Much better than the Dunlap runflats that I replaced.

Old 08-19-2006, 06:05 PM
CARVNIT
2nd Gear
In the rain the Pirellis are not as poor, as in the the snow, but they lack grip especially on concrete surfaces. A couple of nights ago in the rain while slowly slipping the clutch from a stop I could feel the tires hopping, first gear was all but useless. A lack of grip accelerating I feel is likely reflective of the grip available to brake and me makes cautious. Hope that helps and sorry about the delay in response.

Old 08-20-2006, 06:13 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Any of these performance all seasons all have the same thing going against them in snow. They are stiff so they corner well, not what you want in a snow tire. They are compounded for a high speed rating, not what works for a snow tire & they are wide with a low profile, not what works for a snow tire. They are a compromise & they aren't going to be great at everything. Snow traction is at the bottom of the list for these tires.

Concrete is very slippery when it's old & polished off. Add some water & it can seem like ice. Most tires will slip on that surface.