Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Nail in tire--no

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Annewithane
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nail in tire--no

Under 1100 miles on my new MINI and I just noticed this in my tire:

No light came on to indicate I have a flat! The nail is so close to the edge of the tire. Did it not puncture something vital?
Should I take it to a dealer? Should I remove the nail?
Or should I take it to Tire Barn and see if they can fix my run flat tire?

Old 08-14-2006, 03:01 PM
Scanner
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it looks like it may be too far laterally to be plugged properly...don't pull it out or you'll start leaking air quickly...worth a try at the tire place...I had nails in both my reaar tires...but they were closer to the central treads...were repaired nicely at Mavis tire in NY...good luck!

Old 08-14-2006, 03:04 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that's not repairable. you need a new tire.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:23 PM
jgf
2nd Gear
New tire with a nail

Run Flat's to my knowledge are not supposed to be repaired as to safety concern's. No tire that has side wall puncture should ever be repaired as to the above. I would take it to the dealer as to side wall concern's first, if no side wall damage has occurred and the dealer has a run tire in stock remove the nail and see if it leaks. No leak,no problem. If there is a leak , but no damage to the side wall your call! I had a large diameter nail in my initial run flat's, no common sense, drove it 75miles no less than 80 miles per hr as I did not believe the warning light and the car handled fine. In the morning the tire was flat. Plugged it and drove without problem's for another 11,000 miles. I did however place the tire on the rear . So I would put that tire on the back as less torque etc. there! If you decide to plug the tire I would add a can of tire seal for a couple of day's to seal better I would remove the gas and replace with air as gas will chge as to temp of tire and may trigger your light. If you go to a tire dealer make sure they can remove a run flat as it much more difficult, time comsuming etc. and special equipement is necessary.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:34 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Run flats can indeed be patched, but that one would be a no-go. Too close to the sidewall.
Pull the nail and hope it didn't penetrate - I've had ones that looked bad, but didn't go through. Definitely be prepared to replace it when you do pull it out. Often a nail/screw/etc. can seal the hole quite well. For a while, anyway...

Attached Thumbnails Nail in tire--no-tire_repair_area.jpg  
Old 08-14-2006, 05:34 PM
justintime
6th Gear
I got one too in my runflats. its still there too 5,000 miles later..

question: wrong thread but still... can you take runflats off the stock rims and put them on new ones??

Old 08-14-2006, 05:38 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
The main reason most tire shops won't repair runflats is because they have no idea how long you have driven on the tire flat. They don't want to take the liability in case the tire should suffer a blowout and cause an accident.

About using runflats on aftermarket wheels. Most runflat wheels have a small groove for the bead of the tire to seat on so as to keep the tire from coming off the rim when flat.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:52 PM
WVMINIO8
1st Gear
You should not use normal Fix-a Flat in a can. It states right on the can that it is not to be used on any Speed Rated tire above "H". The compound is not compatible on the higher speed rated rubber.

Old 08-14-2006, 05:58 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WVMINIO8
You should not use normal Fix-a Flat in a can. It states right on the can that it is not to be used on any Speed Rated tire above "H". The compound is not compatible on the higher speed rated rubber.
is that so or are they assuming the lower profile sidewalls on higher perf tires?

Old 08-14-2006, 06:12 PM
DR61
5th Gear
The Conti Comfort Kit tire repair fluid/pump does not have a limitation on speed rating of the tire; it just states that the car should not exceed 50 mph and 120 miles before the tire is repaired.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...tkit/index.jsp

I keep this kit with my MCS when using non-runflats.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:36 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
^^ plus that looks better in the boot than some can.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 AM
WVMINIO8
1st Gear
I have a kit with the "MINI" fluid. What I saw before was I believe a can of Pennzoil Fix/Flat that had the limit on what you could use it on.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:46 AM
Annewithane
4th Gear
Well, I got the tire replaced at the dealership. My husband reminded me that we had bought a tire warranty and so I ended up paying nothing instead of the $358 they would have charged me.

It was a roofing nail and had gone in so cleanly that there was almost no pressure loss in the tire. That's the reason my tire warning light did not go on.

Here in Indy, we recently had a lot of hail damage and a lot of houses are having their roofs repaired. The dealer told me that because of this, they have had a lot come in with roofing nails in their tires.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:48 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
^^ sounds great that you were able to use your tire warranty!

Old 08-16-2006, 10:36 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Annewithane
Well, I got the tire replaced at the dealership. My husband reminded me that we had bought a tire warranty and so I ended up paying nothing instead of the $358 they would have charged me.

It was a roofing nail and had gone in so cleanly that there was almost no pressure loss in the tire. That's the reason my tire warning light did not go on.

Here in Indy, we recently had a lot of hail damage and a lot of houses are having their roofs repaired. The dealer told me that because of this, they have had a lot come in with roofing nails in their tires.
That's great news. I usually don't buy extra warranties, but you proved to me it is really worth it as far as runflats go. My dealer didn't offer that warranty to me.

Old 08-16-2006, 08:50 PM
soho guy
1st Gear
Thank god I bought a tire warranty with our new Mini Soho Edition (still waiting..is it there yet....should have it by end of next week). The cost of the warranty (unlimited tire and rim replacement) is well worth it thanks to what I'm hearing here

Old 08-19-2006, 01:56 PM
justintime
6th Gear
I still dont think my question got answered haha... Can you change your runflats and put them on aftermarket rims?

Old 08-19-2006, 02:05 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottinBend

About using runflats on aftermarket wheels. Most runflat wheels have a small groove for the bead of the tire to seat on so as to keep the tire from coming off the rim when flat.
Posted this earlier........

Check with the wheel manufacturer just to make sure.

Old 08-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most runflat wheels have a small groove for the bead of the tire to seat on so as to keep the tire from coming off the rim when flat.
All good aftermarket wheels have these saftey humps, runflat or otherwise. Some vehicles that come with runflats have larger humps, for retetion at zero pressure.

Alex