Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

DIY "Brembo" brakes (lots of pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006, 12:50 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
For street driving the red paint and decals will hold up.

Any high speed driving with full use of the brakes will heat them up so much that the red paint will literally bake and fry. This will result in a red brown discoloration but the extent will depend on how hot you get the calipers.

It takes roughly 15 to 20 miles on the track and in one session you can heat up your brakes to a very high temperature.

If the paint bakes and frys so will the decals.

I've painted my calipers red, the rears stay good looking longer while the fronts discolor readily. I think one option is to find some MINI decals to put on the calipers- again look for something heat resistant.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:31 AM
AndyRew009
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[quote=cooper99]Thanks for the comments everyone. AndyRew009, I understand where you are coming from, but I didn't like the look of my dirty silver calipers, and wanted to either paint them black or red. I thought the Brembo decals would be fun thing to try out.quote]

i dont dislike the red. i think that is a fine idea its just the stickers.

in any event, it is your mini. i am not telling you what to do. i am just sharing my opinion. there are plenty of things that i have on mine that im sure people wouldnt like.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:59 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kyriian
endless? that's for schoolboys.... paint it bright pink and slap a STI logo on it! tell the rice boys that its a one of a kind STI kit!

and endless brakes are a darker medium blue than sky blue... sky blue is more SPOON
oh... im not such a ric0r afterall. i don't even know their colors.

STi pink on mcs. lol!!!

Old 08-16-2006, 07:35 AM
Larry Clemens
5th Gear
Imo, Dud!

Old 08-16-2006, 09:18 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
do you just spray that cleaner over the caliper and
rotor? no issues damaging the cv boots, etc? does it have to be covered before spraying?
Be careful of painted surface as mesioned, and use non chlorinated brake cleaner - its freindlier to rubber.

Alex

Old 08-16-2006, 09:34 AM
OctaneGuy
Vendor & Moderator :: MINI Camera and Video & c3 club forum
This thread is too funny. You guys need to give the guy a break! It's just for fun. If it were mine though, and I wanted to do what you did, I would have asked the seller to not weed the graphics. That is, he removed the vinyl around the logos and gave you the positive. With the negative (void around the vinyl logo still on the backing) you could have used that as a stencil, and then painted on the BREMBO logo instead.

Old 08-16-2006, 09:48 AM
elprofe
5th Gear
YOU ARE missing the complimentary sticker on the fender
"I wish I had"

Old 08-16-2006, 12:11 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
Looks nice. Although I'm not one to like faking things and placing badges/decals that don't reflect the car or parts, it looks cool. And since you do have REAL Brembo rotors, it isn't necessarily fake. So maybe you couldn't afford the BBK but you got the rotors, so I think it's fine that you have "Baby Brembo" calipers.

P.S: What do you say when someone asks you about it? I have Brembo calipers and they gave me complementary decals for my stock brakes. hehe

Old 08-16-2006, 12:40 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
Be careful of painted surface as mesioned, and use non chlorinated brake cleaner - its freindlier to rubber.

Alex

thanks, i may seriously do this on my legacy as its calipers
are hidious! it's a 06 too.... my civic (also 06)
on the otherhand came with a nice silver finish caliper and
looks great out of the box.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:42 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by OctaneGuy
With the negative (void around the vinyl logo still on the backing) you could have used that as a stencil, and then painted on the BREMBO logo instead.

that's wat i would've done too... then painted the letters and
caliper over with clear.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:51 PM
MSFITOY
OVERDRIVE
Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by kenchan
that's wat i would've done too... then painted the letters and
caliper over with clear.
So all the wavy/bumpy casting can shine through like a glossy potato?

Old 08-16-2006, 05:41 PM
PGT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kenchan
yeh, those garage cabinets are expensive.

i might try this painting thing on my Legacy... will study more.
i should paint it skyblue and put a Endless decal on it. lol jk
as long as we are pimping LGT brakes....how about we ratchet it up a notch and throw down some Alcon/Stasis six-pots

consider me in the camp of 'go big or go home'. I think the stock MINI brakes are sufficient for street use (but I did put Brembo's on my LGT), though putting Brembo stickers on them is a bit much. To each his own.....I saw a 'VTEC' sticker on an F150 the other day.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:46 PM
PGT
Banned
ebay Brembo stencil

Some LGT guys have done a similar effect with their calipers....painted black with a white 'Subaru' to mimic the FHI four POTs or 'Acura' on black Brembo's.

Old 08-16-2006, 05:52 PM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll second the 'not much for the Brembo stickers' thought, but I was surprised at how nice the hand painted caliper came out... That one close-up shot must have been when it was wet because the later shots w/ the stickers look like the red finished flattened out nicely.

I love the slotted/drilled rotors. Nice agressive look.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:08 PM
cartar452
Banned

is that a sticker?? can't tell

Old 08-16-2006, 08:12 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MSFITOY
So all the wavy/bumpy casting can shine through like a glossy potato?
you know there are matt clear coats, right?

Old 08-16-2006, 08:12 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
nice! but the primary driver is my wife... so that's kinda over kill x1000000

Originally Posted by Patagonian GT
as long as we are pimping LGT brakes....how about we ratchet it up a notch and throw down some Alcon/Stasis six-pots

consider me in the camp of 'go big or go home'. I think the stock MINI brakes are sufficient for street use (but I did put Brembo's on my LGT), though putting Brembo stickers on them is a bit much. To each his own.....I saw a 'VTEC' sticker on an F150 the other day.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:18 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Alcons!!!!!!!! Major pimp brakes.

Seriously I wasn't trying to give him a hard time. I think if you are gonna paint the calipers do so. It looks good. Just don't do the fake Brembo thing. Reflects poorly on us. Too much of a ricer thing to do.

Sorry if I offended. My bad.

Old 08-18-2006, 09:19 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
wasn't there some plastic caliper covers someone posted like a year or two ago?

Old 08-18-2006, 09:35 PM
ArmyDog
Coordinator::Asia
Originally Posted by AZMCS
Alcons!!!!!!!! Major pimp brakes.

Seriously I wasn't trying to give him a hard time. I think if you are gonna paint the calipers do so. It looks good. Just don't do the fake Brembo thing. Reflects poorly on us. Too much of a ricer thing to do.

Sorry if I offended. My bad.
I agree MAJOR PIMP and RICER look! But maybe the dude is from a small town, has the only MINI, and there are no European tuner cars in the area so nobody will know the difference. (except us NAMers!) I don't care if I offend anyone....

Old 08-18-2006, 10:45 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
It would be cute and funny to play with the idea a bit -- like modify the decal so it says "bimbo".

By the way, someone on MINI2 posted that painting the calipers voids the warranty. I wouldn't be surprised if BMW had come across some problems because of bad paint jobs.

Old 08-19-2006, 12:22 AM
cooper99
Banned
So does anyone else want to bash at my "riced" out brake job? Sure the Brembo stickers are fake and it's probable that maybe .01% of the people that see my MINI will closely examine my brake kit while I'm parked and notice they aren't really Brembo calipers. Big deal. My world isn't going to come to a sudden firey end.

Sorry if I offended any of you real BBK owners, but I just had a day off work and thought I would try painting my calipers and putting a couple Brembo decals on front to make it look complete. So far they have been on for 4 days and still look the same. IMO, the red calipers with the Brembo stickers is a nice subtle way to compliment the entire car.

Aiiight all u homiez hear iz wat a "ricer pimp bimbo" i is: I proudly attend the Ohio State University and majoring in Physics, specializing in nanotechnology. Even though my full tuition is paid for by academic scholarships, spending almost 2 thousand dollars on a BBK that will just marginally improve braking isn't one of my top priorities.

In conclusion, I still love my MINI, especially with the fake Brembo decals on my factory calipers. Cheers

Old 08-19-2006, 12:55 AM
Eastsidemini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cooper99
So does anyone else want to bash at my "riced" out brake job? Sure the Brembo stickers are fake and it's probable that maybe .01% of the people that see my MINI will closely examine my brake kit while I'm parked and notice they aren't really Brembo calipers. Big deal. My world isn't going to come to a sudden firey end.

Sorry if I offended any of you real BBK owners, but I just had a day off work and thought I would try painting my calipers and putting a couple Brembo decals on front to make it look complete. So far they have been on for 4 days and still look the same. IMO, the red calipers with the Brembo stickers is a nice subtle way to compliment the entire car.

Aiiight all u homiez hear iz wat a "ricer pimp bimbo" i is: I proudly attend the Ohio State University and majoring in Physics, specializing in nanotechnology. Even though my full tuition is paid for by academic scholarships, spending almost 2 thousand dollars on a BBK that will just marginally improve braking isn't one of my top priorities.

In conclusion, I still love my MINI, especially with the fake Brembo decals on my factory calipers. Cheers
Right on man and you still have $2k in the bank. Most people that have Expensive BBK don't take full adventage of them anyway, It's all show. Including myself I have the 13" Wilwood BBK.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:04 AM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Eastsidemini
Right on man and you still have $2k in the bank. Most people that have Expensive BBK don't take full adventage of them anyway, It's all show. Including myself I have the 13" Wilwood BBK.
x2!

To OP, sorry man. Just joking around like I said. Paint job is cool.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:14 AM
goin440
6th Gear
Everything we (community), as in MINI is the only drivers car in the world besides the holy real BMW or Lotus even, don't understand is rice.

Stickers, wings, exhaust, bodykits, bling, no bling. Sounds like last time I flipped through the MINI catalog. But, the MINI isn't rice...

I think your painted calipers kick. Atleast you had the ***** (or not..) to step out of the box.

Originally Posted by cooper99
spending almost 2 thousand dollars on a BBK that will just marginally improve braking isn't one of my top priorities.
Well said, and might I say an educated spender.

Quick Reply: DIY "Brembo" brakes (lots of pics)