Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

105,000 on same set EBC Green Fronts

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 11:17 AM
goin440
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
105,000 on same set EBC Green Fronts

I replaced my rotors F/R and pads F/R yesterday, 08-19. Went with NAPA OEM style F/R rotors cause they're cheap and upgraded the front pads to EBC reds and replaced the rears with EBC greens (again).

My original greens installed near 4k total mileage some three years ago. The green rears were replaced back to OEM when the right inside rear pad bedded wrong and wore out extremely quickly.

But the front pads have stayed on. The OEM rear pads wore out and the right rear started to squeal about two weeks ago. With 109k total mileage, I thought it best to change rotors with the pads. Good thing, the rotors had deep scoring.

The front install went quickly and is pretty straight forward if you've ever done brakes yourself. The rear install is similar, however the pistons are tricky, needing a specialized tool to rotate clockwise as the're push back into the caliper. I rented some "powerbuilt" kit that came with an assortment of ratchet attachments for this process. With a light trigger finger and an impact gun, them things just zip'd back into place.

I'm testing the Green rears to see how they should wear. MINIs seem to go through the rear pad quicker than the fronts according to many posters. So, I'm wondering if reds, being more aggressive than greens, would wear better in the rear. I don't knw how the Greens shoulduve wore, so I'll find out. It will also be interesting to see how the front Reds will hold up against my experience with the greens.
Some head hurting math indicates I put 105k on my EBC Green fronts.