Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Should a novice use "track tires"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:04 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should a novice use "track tires"?

I have an opportunity to buy a set of Panoz wheels with Yoko track tires. My mechanice buddy (who has them at his shop) says they have 2-3 Driver's School weekends left in them. The guy who had them apparently traded his MINI for a BMW and asked David (my mechanic bud) to keep them at his shop and see if he could sell them.
Anyway, I saw them, they are in good condition and I'm happy with the price, so no issue there. My question is whether it's a good idea for me to use them.
I have only been to one DS, I'm signed up for 2 more this fall. I am by no means the greatest driver on the track when I'm out there. The main reason I took the first DS was to make a leap and do something that I was kind of scared to do, ie drive in conditions (higher speed than everyday life) and be able to maintian control in turns, etc.
Of course, I absolutely am addicted now and will hopefully continue with my new hobby for some time.
As a novice, are track tires "too much" for me. I told David that what freaked me out the most at DS was the squealing of the tires and the automatic feeling that the car was close to out of control. I did adjust to it especially after my instructor informed me that that was the tires "singing" .
David was at my last DS and watched me drive, I was in "D" group and he was in "B" group. He said that street tires do make noise and it's kind of a good indication that they are nearing the "let go" point, whereas track tires will just grip until they don't .
He said I worry too much and to just get the wheels (he won't make anything from selling them by the way).
Sorry for the long question .
Opinions?
Annette

Old 08-20-2006, 12:20 PM
vader
4th Gear
Generally, the answer is no. You should first learn to drive you car, then move to better tires. Good tires can hide bad driving technique and can also get you in trouble when they let go without warning.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:48 PM
swarley
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by vader
Generally, the answer is no. You should first learn to drive you car, then move to better tires. Good tires can hide bad driving technique and can also get you in trouble when they let go without warning.
I totally agree. Street tires are will let you know when they are going to break loose and this is great info for a Novice driver. You can push r-compounds much harder, but learn limits of your car first and it will make your DE's much more satisfying.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:55 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Annette, I somewhat agree. Why not buy the tires & wheels assuming they are a good deal. Run your next school or two on your street tires, but then use the race tires for your 3rd school. You will really see an improvement once you switch to the race tires.

Old 08-20-2006, 02:09 PM
Minirox
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
Hi Annette, I somewhat agree. Why not buy the tires & wheels assuming they are a good deal. Run your next school or two on your street tires, but then use the race tires for your 3rd school. You will really see an improvement once you switch to the race tires.
Ditto

Old 08-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Street tires are will let you know when they are going to break loose and this is great info for a Novice driver, but learn limits of your car first and it will make your DE's much more satisfying.

Alex