Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Slim tires aren't safe???

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 03:12 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Slim tires aren't safe???

http://www.latimes.com/classified/au...ck=1&cset=true

Slim tires aren't safe????

Any comments on this from 18" wheel owners with low profile tires?

Old 08-24-2006, 03:19 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
have to register with LA Times to view that article. . .

care to post it for us?

Old 08-24-2006, 03:22 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
I have a good idea what we may see ...can you copy and post ?

Old 08-24-2006, 03:22 PM
in the flesh
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah would you please, my curiosity is killing me!

Old 08-24-2006, 03:31 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
have to register with LA Times to view that article. . .

care to post it for us?
Hmm, I didnt register. OK, I will cut and paste the important parts to be safe about copyright.

"Slim tires too cool to be safe?

The low-profile look exudes sex appeal and is selling well, but it's also pricey and a bit fragile.
By Ralph Vartabedian, Times Staff Writer
August 23, 2006

More and more motorists seem to be driving around in cars sitting atop what look like rubber bands: low profile tires on giant alloy wheels.

Those "rubber bands" are actually high performance or touring tires, and they're wildly popular among consumers who like a muscular, sporty look. ...

engineers and safety experts say low aspect ratio tires — which have shorter sidewalls — are more vulnerable to road hazards, such as potholes and other obstructions that can test a tire's ability to flex at high speed, than their standard counterparts.

Officials from Goodyear, Michelin and Bridgestone — the three largest tire makers — all acknowledged in interviews that their low aspect ratio tires are more likely to be damaged by impacts in normal driving. ...Nonetheless, consumers like the look. ... safety experts are dubious about their practicality. ... "Avoid driving on roads with potholes, deep gouges or ridges," it tells owners of cars equipped with these tires. In other words, keep the car in the garage.

What's the point of this madness, other than sexy appearance? Ultra high performance tires almost always have low aspect ratios. These tires have speed ratings up to 186 miles per hour, super soft rubber that grips the road and construction that gives positive steering. ...

however, these drivers are finding they have to change tires every 20,000 miles. And the ultra high performance tires are like ice skates on cold road surfaces, plus they cost a fortune to replace. ... And they are more vulnerable to under-inflation, many experts say.

"The lower aspect ratio makes it more sensitive to low inflation," said Max Nonnamaker, a tire expert and former chief engineer for a tire maker. "When the tire is taller or higher, you can lose more air. Any drop in pressure is more critical, because there is a shorter sidewall and you generate more heat."

An under-inflated tire flexes more as it goes down the road, generating more heat in the sidewall, which eventually can cause internal damage. Thus, keeping an eye on inflation is critical.

Tire inflation is always a controversial subject. Every tire has embossed on its side a maximum inflation rating. That's different than the the car manufacturer's recommended inflation, which is always less. ...

VandeWater said he believes that damage can occur if inflation drops 5 pounds below the level recommended by the carmaker. Typically, recommended inflation is 32 pounds, so you would be causing damage at 27 pounds. It is a tiny margin that very few consumers appreciate."

Old 08-24-2006, 03:37 PM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
My shortened version:

High performance low profile tires are not suitable for idiots who buy them for appearance only, could care less about the most basic vehicle maintenance (such as checking your tire pressure), and have no concept that different types of tires are appropriate for different types of road conditions.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:58 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
^^^^^Amen Brother!^^^^^^

Old 08-24-2006, 04:13 PM
Wiggles
4th Gear
No surprises in the article. It's all true.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Rick-Anderson
6th Gear
My shortened version:

High performance low profile tires are not suitable for idiots who buy them for appearance only, could care less about the most basic vehicle maintenance (such as checking your tire pressure), and have no concept that different types of tires are appropriate for different types of road conditions.
Very True! I see people (loose term) with low profiles on SUVs and trucks and wonder what kind of road hazards they are creating. I mean, if they kill themselves then that's fine - natural selection and all - but I hope I'm nowhere near one of those behemoths when it actually has to maneuver around something other than a Starbuck’s drive-through.

Old 08-24-2006, 05:52 PM
SpunkytheTuna
4th Gear
So just what is your problem with the article? Or are you just whipping out your stirring stick to see what you can whip up?

Old 08-24-2006, 05:58 PM
Pendergast
6th Gear
If you used them on the roads in my area I can almost guarantee you will be buying new wheels to replace the bent ones. And frankly, I don't value the look of low-profile wheels.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:00 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SpunkytheTuna
So just what is your problem with the article? Or are you just whipping out your stirring stick to see what you can whip up?
This is what Art does! He finds controversial articles and tosses them into the ring.

Old 08-24-2006, 06:02 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
My shortened version:

I totally agree! If you are going to have a high-performance tire, you'd better damn well check it's air pressure often and take care with how you handle rough roads. That is a given with our tires.

I saw the article yesterday and figured Art or someone else would post it up.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:34 PM
Minifiend
4th Gear
Originally Posted by chows4us

I have 18" Enkei RPM2's with Toyo Proxe 4's and in 8,000 miles I have not had any problems. I keep the pressure at around 35 lbs. In good ol' Tucson the roads can get kind of nasty, but I feel the ride is still better than those stock 16 runflats. I just put the Bilstein PSS9's and WMS camber plates on and that made the ride a bit rougher, but still fine in my book.

Old 08-24-2006, 07:47 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
So Chows was this news to you?

I run 215-40-17s, and yes I will have to switch to something else for the winter. I'm **** about tire pressure, and I avod potholes and poor roads anyway, but yeah I'm a at a little more risk, esp. in Chicago where new roads are often worse than the ones they replaced. BUT I get loads more grip anddriver confidence at they'll probaably be the first set of tires I make last beyond 20k miles as the tread is design for much higher temps than I usually dish out, oh and I had two cold weeks and a few nights this summer well below my 70 degree minimum reccomended operating tempurature, so I had to be a little bit smoother with inputs, something I should have been doing anyway. So is there a point to this, were you really unware? Or is this just stiring up the beehive?

Old 08-24-2006, 09:08 PM
Wake|MCS
6th Gear
I've run my car for a year with 205/40/17 (talk about no sidewall) until about 2 weeks ago when I replaced with some 215/40/17 (sidewall thickness is just PERFECT IMO). Personally, I dislike the look of the beefy 45-50 series tires on the MINI, on other cars it can look good, but thats all personal preference. I have no problems driving, just be cautious as you would anyways, avoid potholes and construction sites with nails and the like and your fine. Oh and check your tire pressure often. But all of that is common sense...

Old 08-24-2006, 09:15 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by motor on
So is there a point to this, were you really unware? Or is this just stiring up the beehive?
Yes...stirring things up...see my posts above. This is what Art does.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:22 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Yes...stirring things up...see my posts above. This is what Art does.
I'm waiting to see his response

Old 08-24-2006, 09:27 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Originally Posted by motor on
I'm waiting to see his response
I wonder how many links his responses will include!?

Old 08-24-2006, 09:56 PM
6th Gear
I hope this doesn't surprise anyone. Most of us have known for a while the risks of using low profile tires. Most manufacturers actually list warnings!

Old 08-24-2006, 10:32 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts

Low profile tires are safe but you have to know what you are doing and be careful where you drive. Also you have to expand your tire and wheel budget over a set of normal/stock sized wheels. Everyone should check and maintain proper tire air pressure.

Such is the cost of "the look".

Another item-
(And this doesn't apply as much to the MINI)Large SUVs and trucks sporting huge rims and low profile tires usually need to have upgraded brakes to go along with the increased weight of the big rims but sometimes the owners don't budget for that or don't know that stock brakes are not up to the task of stopping heavy wheels. Not very safe. I often look at those SUVs and find that few have upgraded brakes. Shame on them.:impatient

Old 08-24-2006, 11:26 PM
The MINITOR
6th Gear
Had 18's for a few years with no problems, and now 19's with still no problems. I do check my pressure regularly and keep a bit more air in them than most do, and I watch out for potholes, etc to the best of my ability. I have hit many big potholes though and no damage yet. (Knock on wood)

Old 08-24-2006, 11:41 PM
elprofe
5th Gear
THE article was instegated by Judge Lance Ito....from teh OJ simpson trial......makes one wonder why he would go through four sets of those Skinnny! tires.....I

Old 08-24-2006, 11:42 PM
goin440
6th Gear
Any tire is unsafe when under inflated.

Just change a few measures and this article works for any wheel profile:
Changes in BOLD.
More and more motorists seem to be driving around in cars sitting atop what look like water intertubes: high profile tires on small alloy wheels.

Those "intertubes" are actually offroad performance or just large tires, and they're wildly popular among consumers who like a muscular, sporty, or OEM look depending on the vehicle. ...

engineers and safety experts say large aspect ratio tires — which have bigger sidewalls — are still vulnerable to road hazards, such as potholes and other obstructions that can test a tire's ability to flex at high speed, than their smaller counterparts.

Officials from Goodyear, Michelin and Bridgestone — the three largest tire makers — all acknowledged in interviews that their low aspect ratio tires are more likely to be damaged by impacts in normal driving. ...Nonetheless, consumers like the look. ... safety experts are dubious about their practicality. ... "Don't worry about driving on roads with potholes, deep gouges or ridges," it tells owners of cars equipped with these tires. In other words, keep the car or truck in the dirt.

What's the point of this madness, other than sexy appearance? Ultra high performance offroad tires almost always have large aspect ratios. These tires have speed ratings up to 186 miles per hour, super soft rubber that grips the dirt and construction that gives positive handling in offroad situations. ...

however, these drivers are finding they have to change tires every 20,000 miles. And the ultra high performance offroad tires are like wobbly balloons on road surfaces, plus they cost a fortune to replace. ... And they are still vulnerable to under-inflation, many experts say. ( here comes the real genius)

"The larger aspect ratio is still sensitive to low inflation," said Max Nonnamaker, a tire expert and former chief engineer for a tire maker. "When the tire is taller or higher, you can still lose air. Any drop in pressure is still critical, because there is a shorter sidewall and you generate more heat." (cause its flat, duh)

An under-inflated tire flexes more as it goes down the road, generating more heat in the sidewall, which eventually can cause internal damage. Thus, keeping an eye on inflation is critical.

Tire inflation is always a controversial subject. Every tire has embossed on its side a maximum inflation rating. That's different than the the car manufacturer's recommended inflation, which is always less. ...

VandeWater said he believes that damage can occur if inflation drops 5 pounds below the level recommended by the carmaker. Typically, recommended inflation is 32 pounds, so you would be causing damage at 27 pounds. It is a tiny margin that very few consumers appreciate."
What?, I was bored...

Old 08-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Motor On
6th Gear
Originally Posted by goin440
Any tire is unsafe when under inflated.

Just change a few measures and this article works for any wheel profile:

What?, I was bored...

I like the water intertube part.

Quick Reply: Slim tires aren't safe???