Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Help!!! Brake noise when on the brakes

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 12:28 PM
xpcdoojk
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!!! Brake noise when on the brakes

I have a 2003 MCS with about 26,500 miles on it. Thursday in the rain I started to hear a noise, that sounded sort of like a jet flying over the car. At first I thought that was actually what I was hearing, until I heard it again the next time I slowed to a stop light. Now I am hearing everytime I slow to a stop while on the brakes with the will turning. I don't really notice it at speed, but it becomes more obvious when I am almost stopped at say less than 10 mph. My wife said she couldn't hear it when I was stopping to pick her up after she had gone into a store and I picked her up at the door. I haven't noticed anyone looking at me like I am in a beater when I stop at a light, but it sounds like it inside with the windows rolled up. I really think it is coming from the rear brakes.

Anyone have any thoughts as to what is causing this, and what the fix is more importantly? It sounds like a bearing, but those wouldn't do this only under braking would they?

jc

Old 08-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Morris9982
4th Gear
The first thing I would do would be to pull the wheels and do a visual check. Look at the brake pads to ensure they have plenty of material left. Check everything else that you can see to make sure it looks normal.

I am sure others will come up with other suggestions.

Old 08-28-2006, 12:40 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's probably a pad....

Mini, in thier infinite wisdom, only put the wear sensors on two wheels, and on only one pad at that! So out of 8 surfaces that wear, only 2 have sensors on them (unless you have an older car like mine, that has no sensors at all!) I've seen uneven pad wear on lots of Minis, so if the fastest wearing pad doesn't have the sensor, you get an "audible allert" and no warning light.

When you check your pads, make sure to look at the inner and outer pad. I almost got in big trouble by not doing that, and at the end of a track day, the grinding started.... Very embarrasing!

Matt

Old 08-28-2006, 01:23 PM
xpcdoojk
5th Gear
I would be right if I was pretty sure that if the MINI S needs pads it isn't covered under warranty? Right?

I can have any decent shop change the pads?

Old 08-28-2006, 01:28 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Actually

they are! The only reason you'd go outside of Mini is if you want different pads.....

But that's a whole different thread...

Matt

Old 08-28-2006, 01:34 PM
xpcdoojk
5th Gear
Well the downside is I have to drive 3 hours each way to get to a dealer, so, even if free that is not exactly a bargain. Not to mention that they don't have weekend hours, so I have to take a vacation day. If I order the pads online, can I drive the car without worrying about it other than sounding like a doofus for a week or so?

thanks

jc

Old 08-28-2006, 01:41 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Depends...

if you really score the rotor, you'll have to have it machined. If the scoring is too deep, you'll need a rotor.

Are you good with hand tools? Changing pads isn't bad.

Matt

Old 08-28-2006, 01:41 PM
WVMINIO8
1st Gear
I have a '03 MCS with no sensors. I had MAG in Dublin, Oh. check my brakes when I had it in for service. One month later, when I was having a state inspection done, the rear brakes were completely gone. I hear they have a tendency to corrode on the caliper, which can keep it from moving, thus causing the pads to have contact constantly. This wore the pads and rotor out in that amount of time. MAG replaced rotors, pads and calipers on both rear wheels. I have excellent hearing but there was no noise. Thats not to say it couldn't be your problem though. Also, they hauled the car 180 miles to the dealer.

Old 08-28-2006, 02:38 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
I had MAG in Dublin, Oh. check my brakes when I had it in for service. One month later, when I was having a state inspection done, the rear brakes were completely gone.
My guess is your brakes were never looked at. I've had a similar thing happen at MAG's Audi service center.