Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Gurus, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 11:14 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gurus, please help!

It started during a track day just 2 days ago.... but it got progressively worse and worse

its a strange clicking noise, its very low volume and i can barely hear it with the stereo off in a straight line.... i said in a straight line, because it seems to turn louder when i turn right (loading the left side), as well, just yesterday i washed the car, but today i found a sickening amount of brake dust has made its way onto my left wheel.... i really have no idea if it is coming from the brakes (fyi, im on track Wilwood A pads, but the right wheel isn't showing that at all), and before people start saying why i am running track pads on the street, it is simple because i want to burn off the bedded in A pad material on the disc

now, several piece of information to include
1) on the same track day, when i was swapping back to street wheels, one stud came loose.... and half the threading on the inside that connects to the hub is stripped.... becuase i had no bolts to put back in, i slapped the stud back in and torqued the wheel in the normal fashion.... but that's it, the torqing did not come loose....

2) i recently curbed one wheel, bending a control arm a very teeny bit, so tiny it is unnoticeable unless its on the alignment machine... i replaced the bent wheel, and did an alignment.... car tracks perfectly straight/....

so i wonder why is it making so much more dust on the left.... maybe it has somethin to do with the brakes rubbing against something.. but what...

anyone want to try to help me piece together what's wrong?

Old 09-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kyriian
It started during a track day just 2 days ago.... but it got progressively worse and worse

its a strange clicking noise, its very low volume and i can barely hear it with the stereo off in a straight line.... i said in a straight line, because it seems to turn louder when i turn right (loading the left side), as well, just yesterday i washed the car, but today i found a sickening amount of brake dust has made its way onto my left wheel.... i really have no idea if it is coming from the brakes (fyi, im on track Wilwood A pads, but the right wheel isn't showing that at all), and before people start saying why i am running track pads on the street, it is simple because i want to burn off the bedded in A pad material on the disc

now, several piece of information to include
1) on the same track day, when i was swapping back to street wheels, one stud came loose.... and half the threading on the inside that connects to the hub is stripped.... becuase i had no bolts to put back in, i slapped the stud back in and torqued the wheel in the normal fashion.... but that's it, the torqing did not come loose....

2) i recently curbed one wheel, bending a control arm a very teeny bit, so tiny it is unnoticeable unless its on the alignment machine... i replaced the bent wheel, and did an alignment.... car tracks perfectly straight/....

so i wonder why is it making so much more dust on the left.... maybe it has somethin to do with the brakes rubbing against something.. but what...

anyone want to try to help me piece together what's wrong?
Have you lifted the front, and see if its as easy to spin both left and right front? Sounds like a possible caliper sieze, siezing can appear prgressive too. But this should show if you havent checked.

Alex

Old 09-05-2006, 08:44 AM
kyriian
6th Gear
well i checked that, and swapped back to street pads, and it seemed to help alot.... so the brake dust thing is done... but that clicking noise is annoying me.... ive read up on searches seems like it might be my CV joint..... in that case, that'd get EXTREMELY expensive!

Old 09-05-2006, 10:57 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
make sure you don't have pebbles stuck in the tire treads especially
near the outer sidewall.

hope you find your problem soon...

Old 09-05-2006, 11:01 AM
DrkSilvrMini
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
do you have wilwood rotors on the front?

Old 09-05-2006, 04:55 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
yep, wilwood rotors in the front only... fully solid ones... no slots or holes

Old 09-06-2006, 11:55 AM
agranger
6th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Do you have the webspokes? There is an issue with them clicking...

Old 09-06-2006, 08:05 PM
kyriian
6th Gear
nope, got aftermarket wheels and absolutely no rubbing on the calipers... ive been driving these few days, and it seems only pronounced at high speeds seen on a highway.... especially true at high speed highway turns.... at city speeds, its almost un-noticeable