Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake replacement under Maintenance Plan story

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 10:55 AM
amorican
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake replacement under Maintenance Plan story

I called the dealer yesterday to schedule a brake service as my light has come on. I asked about aftermarket options as I HATE the stock pads due to obvious and well heralded reasons. My service manager informed me that he could not replace the pads with aftermarket units per maintenance rules. I then asked about what it would cost to have them replace them to my choice, he said it would run about 220 or so, and I would then be paying for everthing, rotors as well. I then asked if it would make more sense to have them replace everything with OEM for 0 dollars and proceed to replace the pads with EBCs the following week on my own....I was met with a definitive silence.

Appointment is scheduled for this Friday...let me know if you need some stock pads...

Old 09-06-2006, 11:10 AM
TWISTER
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My service is scheduled for next Wednesday. Let me know what happens

Old 09-06-2006, 11:17 AM
gizzer777
5th Gear
That's the way to do it!

The perfect solution...then you replace the pads yourself! I do understand the dealer's position though...aftermarket stuff is a liability for them and no re-imbursement from MiniUSA!

Originally Posted by amorican
I called the dealer yesterday to schedule a brake service as my light has come on. I asked about aftermarket options as I HATE the stock pads due to obvious and well heralded reasons. My service manager informed me that he could not replace the pads with aftermarket units per maintenance rules. I then asked about what it would cost to have them replace them to my choice, he said it would run about 220 or so, and I would then be paying for everthing, rotors as well. I then asked if it would make more sense to have them replace everything with OEM for 0 dollars and proceed to replace the pads with EBCs the following week on my own....I was met with a definitive silence.

Appointment is scheduled for this Friday...let me know if you need some stock pads...

Old 09-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I understand your dealer too. Have them put those nifty OEM pads & rotors on your car. Then go ahead & replace the pads with the ones of your choice.

Old 09-06-2006, 02:50 PM
goldcountrymini
6th Gear
The brake pad install is written up somewhere on here. It's not too hard of a job. The rear caliper is a little bit of a pain to get the piston back in. Harbor Freight has a cheap tool you can buy that will make it a lot easier. The BMW tool is about $300. HF tool is about $30. You can also pick up the sensor from your dealer for about $20 so that annoying light will go out. I think that's all in the write up.

Here is a link to all the NAM write ups: Click here

The brake portion (by Octaneguy): Click here

Edit: added links

Old 09-06-2006, 11:12 PM
BFG9000
5th Gear
The dealer will already have installed new wear sensors and retracted the rear calipers to install their new pads, making the switch to other new pads especially easy to DIY

You get new rotors and sensors, the dealer gets reimbursed, and BMW knows they have a happy customer--everyone's happy

If it's been two years have them replace the brake fluid for free too