Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Help with Justification for Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 03:02 PM
MJCMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Justification for Winter Tires

OK - I know that there are alot of posts here about winter tires, but here goes:

I just purchased a MCS with 17" Wheels and currently has the Goodyear Eagle Runflats. I am getting ready to replace them with non-runflats. Anyway, here is my question in regards to winter tires:

My local tire guy is trying to convince me that becuase of the size, the Mini will handle differently in snow than my Previous vehicles few vehicles - Land Rover Range Rover, Volvo V70R, VW Golf, VW Jetta, VW New Beetle, Ford F150 2WD.

All of the above had All Season tires on them, and ALL have had the pleasure of experiencing winter in Nebraska. The VW Jetta also experienced the winter of 2002-2003 in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont.

I realize that the Range Rover is a completely different beast, but my feelings are, the Mini is not that much smaller than the Jetta or Golf, and they did just fine even in the Northern New England winter. Are the Winter tires (and wheels) justified, or am I just as good to go with a good set of All season tires?

Right now I am leaning toward the Avon 550 or the Cooper Zeon AS - any input? Also, does anyone know of an All Season Michelin Pilot size that will fit on the MCS 17" Wheels?

Old 09-11-2006, 03:46 PM
05DSMCS
4th Gear
I live in Utah and have had all season tires with no problems. I'm sure winter tires are probably better, but I haven't found that they are worth the extra cost. I get compromised performance year round, I suppose, but it has never left me stranded.

Old 09-11-2006, 04:08 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
It's just a question of your comfort level and what level of security you want. I get winter tires because that's the kind of guy I am; I need to be prepared for each situation. I would never say that anyone else HAS to buy anything, but I will say that in snow, snow tires perform exponentially better than normal all-seasons.

I feel that the winter wheels/tires are definitely justified because of the tested and proven performance they offer. That said, you will probably be _fine_ with all seasons.

mb

Old 09-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I always use winter tires on all my cars that are driven in the winter. I like having control when I drive. All seasons may get you through, but not with the control winter tires provide. If you slide off the road & prang your car it will cost much more than a set of snow tires. Just my .02 here.

Old 09-12-2006, 05:26 AM
omascow
3rd Gear
I'm thinking of getting winter tires, only because I want some new Rota's with summer tires. But I do have to say that the stock Goodyear Runflats were good tires. They pulled my MINI out of the street when it was buried by the snow plow, it got me to work when everyone else was stuck at home (I was the only one at work, it sucked, next time I'm calling in and saying I can't make it ) and I survived a snow storm in rural Indiana 2 years ago. I also believe that the MINI itself with the DSC, attributed to my success in those situations. But I also like the extra margin of safety, defiantly do not want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere and end up turning into a popsicle.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:37 AM
CHKMINI
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I drove my MCS with 17" runflats last winter here in Ohio and next to my previous M5 (which also had a power to weight issue on slippery roads) it made for the worst winter driving vehicle I've ever owned. This year I'm mounting Blizzaks on my Mini Lites, removing my AR1's and hopefully I'll get my chest off the steering wheel when there's snow on the ground. Unless you enjoy snowboarding with your Mini, buy some all-weather or performance snow tires.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:37 AM
JoeCool
3rd Gear
IMO- if you are even thinking of getting snow tires, that's an indication that you need them. I've driven through one 700 mile blizzard with full depth Pirelli Eufori runflats, and several blizzards since with Pirelli runflat snow tires, and the difference is night and day. The added control is worth the expense. I suggest that if you have stock brakes, that you get some steel rims with 15" snows on them. That is a very cheap tire/wheel combo, with many choices in brands and tread widths. Saves your summer rims from road debris as well.

Old 09-12-2006, 07:51 AM
Paul
6th Gear
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
$400 or so will get you a set of 15" takes off holies with tires. I used the stock tires that MINI put on the holies and they worked just fine last winter. Maybe after this winter I'll install snows on them.

Old 09-12-2006, 08:51 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
if you are even thinking of getting snow tires, that's an indication that you need them.
well put!

Alex

Old 09-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Brewmeister
3rd Gear
Snow Tires

Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
well put!

Alex
So when does the "06 winter" package come out Alex? or did I miss it?

Old 09-12-2006, 09:46 AM
minimusprime
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
well put!

Alex
I'd agree with that. I came through last year's winter up here in gb wisconsin. It was fairly mild but we got some nasty stuff. My mini did very very well in my mind in teh 17" slites with the all season runflats. However, not that I am some kind of snow driving god, but i grew up in a rally driving family in the northern part of the US. So black ice, having my car slide all over the place and deep snow driving is something I am used to and actually have come to like. I frequently go out driving in snow storms cause it's so much fun.

That being said the difference between snow tires and just some all seasons on this car is night and day. Where the car is still doing well in teh snow without them... if you have them i guarentee you will be warming up the car for those big snow storms and bolting around town pulling the ebrake laughing your head off. Realisticly I have owned/driven a few amazing snow cars, subaru svx, subaru wrx, eagle talon tsi (fully rally prepared), alfa romeo milano (fully rally prepared), 88 golf gti (fully rally prepared) and this little bugger with it's fwd and narrow track with a wide stance is just a hoot in the snow. Id say it's even better then my old gti which was basically a lowered off road vehicle, that is... until I start plowing the road with my aero kit...

Id say go for the snow tires just because it makes the car a little winter rally dynamo.

Old 09-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Mineon
4th Gear
I've been driving here in Ohio for 20 years and never really felt the need for snow/winter tires. We've had a few bad winters throughout the years, and even with RWD cars like the Mustangs I've owned, all-season tires have done just fine in the winter. I occasionally keep track of the days during the winter that I felt like I actually could have made use of winter tires, and it is usually 7-10 days a year at most. I really can't justify winter tires for one two weeks a year of possible use. All-seasons and careful driving do just fine for me, as I think they would probably do for you.

-Keith