Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

BFGoodrich g- Force T/A KDW2

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 06:28 PM
sobendmini
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BFGoodrich g- Force T/A KDW2

Anyone running these tires, impressions?

Old 09-18-2006, 06:28 PM
FlynHawaiian
5th Gear
Best tires ever.

You can drive in wet weather pretty much like you can in dry weather.

Old 09-18-2006, 06:31 PM
chipgrafx
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by FlynHawaiian
Best tires ever.

Good to know as I'm about to order these myself.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:01 PM
indygomini
4th Gear
Got a set on our car- check my gallery for pix.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:15 PM
danjmcs
Coordinator :: Dynamic MiNi Collective
Have about 18k on my first set, LOVE them... did the Wicks school at Las Vegas Motor Speedway with them and an autocross this past weekend. Best balanced tire so far from what ive found for wear, and performance.

I had to have one replaced under the road hazard because i got a nail in one that was too close to the edge to repair, so i bought a second new one and put those on the front, and rotated the older set to the rear, wearing nicely

Old 09-18-2006, 07:25 PM
gnarleyOmarley
2nd Gear
Got about 2500 miles or so on them, 2000 from a trip. Came from the runflats and the KDWs are way better, road noice similar but not worst. You can feel the difference just when you are stopped and you turn the wheel; it has a much lighter feel to it. Grip is a lot better, wet-weather is good, too. Sorry, I can't compare it to any other tires except the performance run-flats.

Old 09-18-2006, 07:31 PM
sonichris
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just mounted a set of these on some flik ftds 16X7 ET42, but i got 225/45/16s. they were cheaper than the 205/50/16s (?) and only 1/2 inch wider (according to the manufacturer's specs), so they fit no problem. i was running toyo proxes 4s, which are ultra high performance all seasons. the toyos were great tires, excellent grip wet or dry, very quiet, excellent wear charateristics, but the grip level on these kdw2s brand new, less than 200 miles on them, is higher than my well worn toyos. i'm sure the grip level will increase even more as they wear in. the noise has increased just a little, mainly between 20mph to 45mph, depending on the road surface, but on the highway i can't tell a difference.

judging from the large tread blocks i can predict that these tires will get loud unless i rotate them more often. i'm a tech and i've seen what happens to tires from no rotation, and i can assure you these will wear badly if ignored. i plan on rotating them once between oil changes (2.5k miles), and rotate and balance them at every oil change (5k miles).

bottom line, i like them so far!

Old 09-18-2006, 07:40 PM
Thomas J
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my KDW-2's for about 3,000 miles now...

The good: The dry grip is noticeably improved, the rise isn't as harsh, and they look flippin' sweet. And the wet grip is pretty stinkin' good too. I've driven too fast through some puddles that were a might bit deeper than what I figured, and the KDW-2's just took it in stride. No hydroplaning yet, but I haven't pushed it to find out where their limit might be... Oh, and I paid $125 a pop for mine from the Tire Rack - not a bad price, in my opinion.

The bad: They're a bit noisier than the RF's, and there's a distinct "off-road tire" noise when I'm decelerating, especially in the 15-10 mph portion. It's gotta be those big tread blocks. But the noise is nothing compared to the benefits.

Hope this helped

Old 09-18-2006, 08:50 PM
XAlfa
Banned
and looks like they are available in 215/40-18. Hmm...

Old 09-19-2006, 05:10 PM
sobendmini
Neutral
Thanks all for the input, I'll probably get these. Hope they last longer than the tires I run now(Goodyear GS D3)

Old 09-19-2006, 05:16 PM
xsmini
6th Gear
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Good tire when new, but get very noisy near the end of there life.

Nik

Old 09-19-2006, 05:43 PM
84im
3rd Gear
I'll be interested in how they compare to the Goodyears.

Old 09-19-2006, 05:45 PM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by FlynHawaiian
Best tires ever.

Same except they are the loudest tires I have ever driven on. Also while running the MINI reccomended 33psi in the 17s they almost look like your riding on the edge of the sidewall. I have about 4k miles on mine so far.

Old 09-19-2006, 06:30 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 84im
I'll be interested in how they compare to the Goodyears.
I've read comments that are strongly in favor of both. I'm in the goodyear camp, because that's what I have. I've never read anything from someone who has had both.

Certainly seems as though you can't lose with either choice. The only knock I've ever read on the kdws is road noise.

mb

Old 09-19-2006, 07:20 PM
eVal
6th Gear
I had the Goodyears on other cars and preferred them to the KDWs. They had good grip and H20 performance and they did not howl like these tires do. I can't stand how crazy noisey these tires are (and I had thought Toyos I had in the past were bad....).

Old 09-19-2006, 07:38 PM
xizor
4th Gear
great grip but loud, btw I have a set of used 215/35/18 for sale very cheap

Old 09-19-2006, 07:42 PM
gnarleyOmarley
2nd Gear
not nearly as loud as the parada spec-2s we have on our beetle. But thats a completely different animal considering the design of the beetle and different sound-deadening.

Old 09-19-2006, 07:56 PM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have had the runflats, Yokohama Parada Spec-2, and now BFG KDW2. I have about 13,000 miles on the KDW2s. I used both the Paradas and KDW2s at Track Days. Both the Paradas and the KDW2s were quiet when new but got noisier over time. I believe the main reason for the noise is negative camber in the rear wearing the tires on the inside. More frequent tire rotation is suppose to help the problem. I like the KDW2s better than the Paradas for a few reasons. The KDW2s stick better, look cooler, and are quieter. I am running 215/40-17.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:11 PM
maxmini
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I have had several different sets of ties on the car in the last 55k miles and the KDW-@ have been by far the best so far. I have gone thru 1.5 sets and will have no problems going for a third. Dry stick is great, wet weatehr is unbeleivable . Yes they can be noisy but NOT if you rotate them more than normal. I do mine about ever 3 to 4 k and have had no noise issues whatsoever.

Randy
M7 Tuning

Old 09-20-2006, 04:33 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
mmm...tire pics are always good.

Old 09-23-2006, 07:32 AM
DaniCoffee
1st Gear
we just put some KDW's on a bit ago as well, switching from some parada's as well (pretty much slicks at the time of changing). i don't know if i've heard a street tire as loud as the parada, the KDW is nothing at this point compared to that one on noise.

i'm still not sold on the daily driving grip on these though. don't know why, it's mostly the pavement on the transition fwy's out here where i could take at 60 in the spec2's now i have to drop to 55 if i don't want to get light, feels like they are washing out a bit...? but had the KDW's out at Buttonwillow for some track driving and i was able to hold times similar to that of my mazda on R-Compounds....so i've got mixed feelings.

i just put them on my Mazda a couple days ago, no real driving yet though

Old 09-23-2006, 08:02 AM
ChiliCooperS
6th Gear
hey jimbo you posted!

Yeah as you might know I have these on my car. I have very mixed feelings about them. I autoXed over at the rack in July, one of the weekends that it was around 100*, you know what I'm talking about? Anyway I poured water on the tires after every run, and they still chunked and look like absolute crap. Also in the wet, they just spin like crazy (intersection of Bittersweet and Mckinley comes to mind most and that is even grooved concrete) Yesterday morning I barely got on it there and my tires spun all the way through 2nd and into the first part of third... Not good. I got these tires in May, and so far I have done 5 autoXes with them and driven them on the street and I have to say, they probably will be replaced when I switch back to my good rims in the spring. I don't know by what though. I was looking at the dunlop sport maxx. But I dunno, they were good when they were new I think, but right now they look like ***** and perform like *****, and yeah it's time to get new ones and r compounds... or a different tire and r compounds... I'll let you know though.

Mikey

Old 11-01-2006, 01:30 AM
Frodo
3rd Gear
I wish I would have read this before I bought them. These are the loudest tires I have owned. I do have under 1K miles though. On the other hand why should you have to "break-in" a tire for road noise. Disappointed with BFG.

Old 11-01-2006, 03:51 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Frodo
I wish I would have read this before I bought them. These are the loudest tires I have owned. I do have under 1K miles though. On the other hand why should you have to "break-in" a tire for road noise. Disappointed with BFG.
After the first rotation I did @ 3k miles the tire noise is like 40% of what it used to be But yes..I agree the "break-in" is odd.

Old 11-01-2006, 04:48 AM
kurvhugr
6th Gear
The noise comments confuse me a little.....I've had these on for about 15K miles and haven't noticed. Given the disparity of noise related comments maybe there's something else going on.....maybe inflation level? I dunno. I rotate mine every 4-5K miles.

I like these a lot. They're miles ahead of the RFs in all conditions. The Bridgestone S-03s were better in the wet, but then they should be.....

Quick Reply: BFGoodrich g- Force T/A KDW2