Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

'Tire-d' of not knowing!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 10:13 PM
SwimmerMini
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'Tire-d' of not knowing!!!

I adopted my MINI (EB/B-05-MCS) in May, and I would love to learn more about her and tires are my big concern and desire for knowledge at the moment.

I am taking her on a 6500 mile trip, for which I am leaving in three weeks. On the MTTS, recently, I found during a hard rain storm, we hydro-planed over the place. Other's were as well, but not as much as we were. My MINI and I were quite frightened. I am concern, as I stopped many times. I've asked others if their car did same and they said yes, but not as much. I watched other MINI's scoot down the road amongst the trucks but we did not dare.

Today on way to a MINI function, there was a wet stretch and I felt her, again slip. It was a party and I just did not get time to find someone to help.

I do not know much about these things and am willing to learn. I am just needing knowledge before I make this trip to: GA-AL-MS-LA-TX-NM-AZ-CA-OR-WA-(VC.BC/Canada)-WA-ID-UT-CO-NM-OK-TX-LA-MS-AL-GA
We're bound to encounter snow, rain, fog, ice.

Can someone help?

SwimmerMINI & MUM!

Old 09-25-2006, 03:56 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 207 Likes on 171 Posts
What tires do you have?

Old 09-25-2006, 05:08 AM
rubyred3
4th Gear
check the tread depth on your tires would be the first thing, tires start at 10/32" (usually, sometimes 11 or 12/32") and are worn out at 2/32". You can tell if they are worn out if you see the "wear bars", or flat bars that run all the way accross the tread. You can also check them with a penny, if you put Lincoln's head in the tread, you shouldn't be able to see his whole head from the side (the tread should obscure it), if you can, you have 2/32" or less of tread left. The more tread you have the more resistant your car will be to hydroplanning. Also, be sure your pressures are correct, tire pressures that are too low can decrease your resistance to hydroplanning. +1 to christo's question, what tires are you running? Sounds like you might need a new set.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:14 AM
erickvonzipper
6th Gear
I like the penny-check thing. Cool!

Old 09-25-2006, 05:28 AM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
I can't extract the original poster's question from their post.

Old 09-25-2006, 12:53 PM
SwimmerMini
1st Gear
Thank you all,

Guess it is the Run flat concept that boggles and confuses my mind.
My concerns grow from the fact, I drove a Mercedes 300TD that loved to have flats. same tire, back passenger.
I changed that tire in the deserts of el paso and the deep snows of Ft. Drum. NY, and I learned to steer out of a blow out. I got to where I could changed a tire in 7.5 minutes! "why timed, well it meant husshing the rants of my mother-in-law's fretting she'd miss her plane! Yeah like I was gonna let that happen!!!! By time she went in the house and went to the bathromm I was telling her to grab her purse....'nuf said!

6 flats in upperstate NY snowstorms with two babies in the car, make one know what to do.....

Alas...when there is no spare, I get a lump in my stomach.

now, I have driven my MINI without one, on trust already Atl-Dal Tx -Memphis-Nashville-Atl (MTTS).

I love to drive (obviously) but really like my security in knowing what to do and not be vunerable and dependent on a stranger. As most of my jots can besolo.
OK...So here is requested info.....

I have visited my tires and have the following data:
They are:
dunlop 195.55 r16 87V M=S MFS RSC---Run flats.(know that one.)
other stand alone numbers present are:
013 preceeded by an undescrible emblem?
E4
B1-Fw30558
DOt K5BD
05W
1603 in an oval

all tires have same data

depth with Mr Lincoln, back tires, can see his nose tip
on front, he only hides a toupe' (so they are worn.)

I am not sure what wearbars or flat bars are but willing to learn.
and as far as the 10/32, 11/32/ 12/32 or 2/32.....Huh?
What determines those numbers.

air pressure:
front: driver: 25.7 co-pilot: 22.0
back: driver: 27.5 co-pilot: 28.0

Alright, my wise friends,
questions: if the front are worn as they do appear to be, though not slick.
do I rotate them to back and move back to front?

Or new ones in back, back ones to front

or new on front and leave backs as is
or have to replace all 4?

Here in Atlanta we get a few cold snow days, light and gone within day.
lots of rain in summer and
bit of ice in feb.
I don't drive with ice. I do like to drive to speed or a bit faster - safely though.

But at hand is this trip: to San Diego-Portland-Vancouver, BC-Boise, Salt Lake City-Denver-Sante Fe-Dallas-then return to Atlanta via I-20.

My biggest concern is the wet conditions and then the possible snow.

I begin northward from San Diego~Oct 22 and from vancouver , southward~Nov 4. and I know the Colorado Pass can be unpredicatable.

I do not wish to buy winter tires.
I would like to learn what all the numbers on the tires mean. I like to buy quality that lasts instead of repeat purchases, but within a budget.

I appreciate all you are doing to teach me...

reminder: what determines the 10/32 or 02/32 numbers.

BTW:
I like the penny trick had forgotten it, My dad used to use it when he was alive... (thanks for that memory.)

Old 09-25-2006, 01:20 PM
rubyred3
4th Gear
hehe, ok, first problem I see is that your tire pressures are just a bit low, recommended pressures on my wifes runflats (she's got Pirelli's, but they should be about the same) are 35 psi, 39 for "spirited driving". I'd say put yours at 35 and you should be set, higher is ok, but only increases your risk of a blowout. Check the pressures frequently (just looking at the sidewall doesn't work for runflats). This is likely responsible for your feeling that your car hydroplanned to easily, well, that and the fact that it sounds like your front tires are worn. Fix those two problems and your rain traction should be much improved.

Second, 2/32, 10/32 all that stuff, those are just measurements of tread depth, in inches. Tires start with roughly 10/32" (5/16") of tread on them. They are illegal/bald at 2/32" (1/16"). Just giving you an idea in case you wanted to measure them with a caliper instead of a penny, although pennies are cheaper and just about as accurate The wear bars are a molded in bar that shows through when the tire is worn to 2/32". If you look IN the tread grooves you can see them (they run accross the tread, and are about .25" wide). When the tread is worn to 2/32", the bar will run all the way accross the tread, showing you that it is worn.

Anyways, I'd say you probably need a new set of front tires (and unfortunately, runflats aren't cheap). I think its probably best for you to replace the front tires and leave the rears where they are. This will allow you to make it for a while before you need to replace your rears.

Some tire shops may tell you to put the new ones on the back and backs to fronts, but the reason they tell you this is not a good one IMO. They tell you this for liability reasons. If a car hydroplanes, the tires with the least tread will hydroplane first. Most people don't know what to do when the rear loses traction, most DO know what to do when the front loses traction, this is why they set you up this way usually. This is all well and good, except the mini as a front engine FWD car tends to wear the front tires far more than the rear. If you put the new tires on the back, you will need new tires for the front sooner. You really only need two tires now, its up to you as to whether they go on the front or back as to how soon you will be able to afford the other two. . .

Hope this helps

Old 09-25-2006, 01:39 PM
AZMCS
6th Gear
Simple answer is new tires. If the peace of mind of runflats justifies the extra price, and compromised ride in your opinion go with them again. Just FYI though you can get much better performing tires, for both wet and dry, that are non-runflats. I just carry a small compressor and a can of Fix-A-Flat in my boot. Any flat that a runflat would allow you to drive on can probably be filled and fixed by this system.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:14 PM
Hu99
4th Gear
I finally ditched my run-flats after much soul searching and overcoming the attendant anxiety. Best thing I ever did for Simon. The ride is smoother and since I switched to a rain channel unidirectional tire, i haven't had hydroplaning or slippage issues. Of course, I am still under warranty and roadside assistance so if there's a flat, I'm covered. Having said that, I agree with some of the NAMmers who say that RF's are more prone to flats than non RF, go figure. If you're still uneasy about running non-RF's carry a spare steelie with a cheapo tire for insurance, it'll ease your mind until you feel strong enough to go without a safety net. I always kept in the back of my mind, that I never had run-flats or a spare on my motorcycles and always seemed to manage somehow. Just remember to replace your tires before they get to that wear bar and you should be okay.

For the record, I'm using Nexen 3000's and for a budget tire, they perform wonderfully. Great rain traction!

Old 09-25-2006, 07:02 PM
satay-ayam
5th Gear
Old 09-25-2006, 07:23 PM
SwimmerMini
1st Gear
Thank you all so much! I have learned a lot today and have ordered two new Dunlop tires as to match the ones in existing shape. Alex, the Tire Man' educated me on over phone as well and I have to say, I feel much better, with his and with everyone's help.

I found out via learning the 'code'of the tread and tire' that my tires are originals and since it is a 03 and at 23,000 miles, that I'd say the wear has been fair!

I have ordered two and was recommended by Alex to place them in rear, but see your point and agree, Not sure if Alex is a MINI driver &/or aTire man interested in MINI, but he raised a fair points and was a wonderful teacher. Thanks Alex if you read this.

My next question to you all is about my brakes, does everyone's MINI like to leave loads of brake dust on the wheels? I have to dust and wash her 'feet & shoes' due to the black dust. She really does love to play outside and get a little dirty. LOL

Now, here goes...behind the wheel the brake is silver but the top of it, is looking a bit rusty? Is that usual, need lubricate, cleaning advice? (bear with me if I miss name the area. Goes along with the "what's wrong with the car?"...and then using sound effects to describe the problem...LOL' (always drove my dad batty!))

I have learned a great deal today and wish I could take a "Momma's Mini Maintenance Class. " I do love my little car!

Good analogy opn the Motorcycle and spare, LOL but if I was a Motorcycle chick, I would be that one with the side car or third wheel to carry my tire and Techno crap, as I am admittedly a 'Techno Bag Lady!'

I just received my GPS System today.... and need to get SwimmerMINI's new feet in order so we can sufficiantly play with her GPS on a day trip...
I will post a GPS follow up, as it is the New Garmin NUVI 660 and I think I am among the test monkeys, (it has little cars on the screen in leiu of the arrow and well it looks like my SwimmerMINI! AH, can I get an DA AH here!

Thanks folks!

Old 09-25-2006, 07:24 PM
SwimmerMini
1st Gear
OH nice links...thanks!

Old 09-25-2006, 07:30 PM
SwimmerMini
1st Gear
Yipee, just noticed I finally got to FIRST GEAR.... Whew, I have been ghosting around since May... so I am finally in motion...

Old 09-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some tire shops may tell you to put the new ones on the back and backs to fronts, but the reason they tell you this is not a good one IMO. They tell you this for liability reasons. If a car hydroplanes, the tires with the least tread will hydroplane first. Most people don't know what to do when the rear loses traction, most DO know what to do when the front loses traction, this is why they set you up this way usually. This is all well and good, except the mini as a front engine FWD car tends to wear the front tires far more than the rear. If you put the new tires on the back, you will need new tires for the front sooner. You really only need two tires now, its up to you as to whether they go on the front or back as to how soon you will be able to afford the other two. . .
Controll is the name of the game

Alex

Old 09-26-2006, 05:05 PM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by SwimmerMini
My next question to you all is about my brakes, does everyone's MINI like to leave loads of brake dust on the wheels? I have to dust and wash her 'feet & shoes' due to the black dust. She really does love to play outside and get a little dirty. LOL
Yep - a curse of the OEM pads. Aftermarket pads will generally leave less dust.

Originally Posted by SwimmerMini
Now, here goes...behind the wheel the brake is silver but the top of it, is looking a bit rusty? Is that usual, need lubricate, cleaning advice? (bear with me if I miss name the area. Goes along with the "what's wrong with the car?"...and then using sound effects to describe the problem...LOL' (always drove my dad batty!))
The rotors are iron - they'll rust all over the place. In fact, if you wash your car and leave it overnight or a few days, you'll generally get a layer of rust on the surface of the rotor as well. Definitely nothing to worry about.

Old 09-27-2006, 07:42 AM
SwimmerMini
1st Gear
Thanks for the answers to all my questions. You are all wonderful!https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...s/thumb-up.gif