Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Best Ceramic Pads - EBC, Hawk, City Pro ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 10:30 AM
bigcat
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Ceramic Pads - EBC, Hawk, City Pro ???

So I need new front pads for my 03 MCS, and I have decided to do the job myself using Ceramic pads. So I am looking for input on which pads to buy, ideally from anyone who has used both EBC Green Stuff and Hawk Ceramic on stock rotors.

I don't do any track or anything, don't very often get the chance to put pedal to metal since I live in the city, but when I am 'motoring' I like my brakes with plenty of bite. My main motivation for going to Ceramic is so I don't have to wash the wheels every other day (I have 17" white MiniLites). But I don't want noise issues, my wife is hyper sensitive to squeeks (gets embarressed at the lights) and will refuse to ride in the car if the brakes squeek.

I am leaning towards Hawk Ceramic becuase I have seen posts about noise with EBC, but the Hawks are $20 more expensive. Has anyone tried City Pro? They seem to claim to be ideal for my use .... but at $35 I am concerned if I am going to get good stopping power when I need it.

Any other makes you could suggest for what I need?

Thanks for any help

Old 09-25-2006, 06:53 PM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
Another option is the Axxis Ultimates. I think they are ceramic as well. I'm in the same boat trying to make this decision. Can't deal with the dust anymore...

Old 09-25-2006, 07:02 PM
thulchatt
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
What about Mintex Redbox

I have read about Mintex Redbox pads, that they are good pads and low dust.
Anyone have any first hand input?

Only $40 at Helix.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:50 PM
apexer
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bigcat
So I need new front pads for my 03 MCS, and I have decided to do the job myself using Ceramic pads. So I am looking for input on which pads to buy, ideally from anyone who has used both EBC Green Stuff and Hawk Ceramic on stock rotors.

I don't do any track or anything, don't very often get the chance to put pedal to metal since I live in the city, but when I am 'motoring' I like my brakes with plenty of bite. My main motivation for going to Ceramic is so I don't have to wash the wheels every other day (I have 17" white MiniLites). But I don't want noise issues, my wife is hyper sensitive to squeeks (gets embarressed at the lights) and will refuse to ride in the car if the brakes squeek.

I am leaning towards Hawk Ceramic becuase I have seen posts about noise with EBC, but the Hawks are $20 more expensive. Has anyone tried City Pro? They seem to claim to be idea for my use .... but for $35 I am concerned if I am going to get good stopping power when I need it.

Any other makes you could suggest for what I need?

Thanks for any help
I've had EBC Greens for about 17K miles. Only on a couple of occations did I have a minor noise problem. Couple of hard stops 60 to 0 then some slow non-stop driving to cool the pads did the trick.

Old 09-26-2006, 06:54 PM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
I also have the EBC Greenstuff. They are not really low dust compared to OEM, but "easier to clean dust". Better bite than stock, definitely.

You won't have squeak if you properly apply to anti-squeal lube (I was a bit too stingy with it on my rear pads, and now have to get back under one side to try to force a bit more on the right spots).

I can only compare to OEM, but I like the EBC.

Old 09-26-2006, 09:45 PM
Central Coast Coopers
4th Gear
hawks are great

I use Hawks on my car and have installed them on a dozen customer cars-they are the cleanest I have used as far as dust goes. I always recomend them to white wheel owners. I have used EBC as well as the MIntex red box-I like the mintex better than the EBC if you are on a budget. but the Hawks are the best, imho

Old 09-27-2006, 07:25 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
I always recomend them to white wheel owners.
Oh sure, NOW you tell me

Old 09-27-2006, 03:01 PM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
but the Hawks are the best, imho
Agreed! - EBC was my only other 1st hand experience from the pads you listed.

Alex

Old 09-27-2006, 04:53 PM
70mini04
Neutral
Brakes

Has anyone tried Rotex. They are also a low dust alternative. I believe the composition of the pads is partly Kevlar

Old 10-02-2006, 08:28 AM
chuckt
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Central Coast Coopers
but the Hawks are the best, imho
Originally Posted by Alex@tirerack
Agreed!...
Alex
I'm going to try these out but the Hawk website doesn't list a P/N for my '06 MCS. They stop at '04, and other Mfgs. also either change on drop P/N's around that time ±. What changed? Can I use the '04 Hawk P/N's?

Old 10-02-2006, 08:09 PM
bigcat
1st Gear
Originally Posted by chuckt
I'm going to try these out but the Hawk website doesn't list a P/N for my '06 MCS. They stop at '04, and other Mfgs. also either change on drop P/N's around that time ±. What changed? Can I use the '04 Hawk P/N's?
Sorry I don't know, I have an '03. It may be something to do with the introduction of a rear wear sensor at '04, but even that doesn't make sense as my '03 (built April 04) has a rear sensor.

So I guess I am going to try the Hawk Ceramics. The two people who responded praising EBC Green Stuff both aknowledged some noise issues. And although they said these issues could be mitigated, I don't want to risk it. Will let you know how they work out.

Thanks for all the postings

Old 10-03-2006, 08:52 AM
Alex@tirerack
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
the introduction of a rear wear sensor
True - you can use the 02-03 rear pads on an 04 and newer - but your rear wear sensor will not work - must be tied up to the strut.

Alex

Old 10-03-2006, 04:01 PM
PenelopeG3
4th Gear
hmm... So which brake pads allow you to keep the stock sensors?

Do the Axxis pads have a provision for the stock sensors?

Old 10-05-2006, 11:04 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
EBC Greenstuff lets you keep the sensor, but I wouldn't bother. Zip tie it up somewhere out of the way and just do a visual check on the brakes whenever you rotate your tires, when you put new batteries in your smoke detector, when you wash your curtains...you get the idea!

Old 10-05-2006, 11:11 AM
apexer
6th Gear
I agree that sensor is really not an issue. If you have to tie off the rear sensor, no big deal as long as you check wear couple times a year (unless pads are getting near the end, then you should check more often). Pick the pads that best suit your needs and driving style.

Old 11-19-2009, 10:04 PM
bigcat
1st Gear
Finally getting back to closing the loop on this thread. I did end up installing Hawk Ceramic on all four corners of my 2003 S. and I am very pleased with them. Dust is much less of a problem (wash brown dust every 2 weeks, vs black dust every 2 days) I have had no noise issues, and the stopping power with stock rotors has been excellent. They have been on the car for 20k miles now. Getting close to needing new front rotors at 65k.

Old 11-20-2009, 12:10 AM
Eric_Rowland
OVERDRIVE
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Wow - that's some serious dedication on an update!
Have been wanting to de-dust my pads for a while. Thanks for the input!