Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

A048 question...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 12:22 PM
HC0624
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A048 question...

I just install a set of R tires, Yokohama A048. The road noise is really bad, like I have a supercharger in side. Is this normal? Anyone have any experiences would like to share?

And how should I run them in....

thanks in advance,

JOHN

Old 10-02-2006, 12:36 PM
eMINI
5th Gear
Ok...

I've never used any R-compound tires in an application where road noise was a consideration.

Try rolling the windows down, using full throttle and only the upper third of the rev range... That's how R-compound tires are typically used.

Old 10-02-2006, 01:20 PM
dkstone
4th Gear
Originally Posted by HC0624
I just install a set of R tires, Yokohama A048. The road noise is really bad, like I have a supercharger in side. Is this normal? Anyone have any experiences would like to share?

And how should I run them in....

thanks in advance,

JOHN
I use them only for track not as a daily street tire, they are standard issue on Lotus Elise as a daily use tire but with the visceral sound of the engine at your back you can't hear tire noise just the sweet sound of the motor, on our cars they are quite noisy on the street, every time I drive from the track to the hotel they let me know that they are not for daily use, on the other hand they last a real long time on the track. I have 29 track days on a set with lots of compound left.

Old 10-02-2006, 04:19 PM
HC0624
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by dkstone
I use them only for track not as a daily street tire, they are standard issue on Lotus Elise as a daily use tire but with the visceral sound of the engine at your back you can't hear tire noise just the sweet sound of the motor, on our cars they are quite noisy on the street, every time I drive from the track to the hotel they let me know that they are not for daily use, on the other hand they last a real long time on the track. I have 29 track days on a set with lots of compound left.

Thanks, I guess that answer my question,..... they are suppose to be loud .

How do you run them in thou?

JOHN

Old 10-02-2006, 04:29 PM
dkstone
4th Gear
Thanks, I guess that answer my question,..... they are suppose to be loud .

JOHN
There are no special procedures since they are considered street tires and not racing slicks, if they were being used as track only tires then I would try to get them heat cycled right from the dealer or I would run them for one session and then let them cool down for 24 hours before I put them to regular use

Old 10-02-2006, 04:31 PM
mbcoops
6th Gear

Couple of hot laps? Sorry, I have no clue other than just putting miles on them, but on the street that won't qualify as a heat cycle, correct?

I'm interested to hear an answer to the above question. Anyone else running r-comps on the street regularly?

mb

Old 10-02-2006, 04:38 PM
HC0624
3rd Gear
There are no special procedures since they are considered street tires and not racing slicks, if they were being used as track only tires then I would try to get them heat cycled right from the dealer or I would run them for one session and then let them cool down for 24 hours before I put them to regular use
Thanks! I just installed them on Friday, and I signed up for track day on this coming friday. I don't want mess them up . I already put aleast 200kms on it already, hope that helps.

Originally Posted by mbcoops
Couple of hot laps? Sorry, I have no clue other than just putting miles on them, but on the street that won't qualify as a heat cycle, correct?

I'm interested to hear an answer to the above question. Anyone else running r-comps on the street regularly?

mb

let's just wait

Old 10-02-2006, 04:47 PM
scobib
5th Gear
It's good to scrub off the mold release with a few miles... Or, one session at a moderate pace will do it, too.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:43 PM
90STX
5th Gear
You'll be fine.

FYI, the road noise only gets worse as the tires get worn down. They aren't too much worse than the original 215 Azenis in that regard though.

I've about polished off a set of 225/50-15s, using them for auto-x rain tires as well as a couple thousand miles of street use. I've driven them to numerous events with the dry weather Rs in the back so I'd have both available.

Scott
90SM

Old 10-02-2006, 06:49 PM
dkstone
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mbcoops

mb
Find an empty parking lot about 10 minutes of a tight figure eight then go home take them off the car and let them sit for 24 hours, hoosiers need to sit for 72 hours if you want them to last any time.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:54 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
If the noise is severe try calling Alex@tirerack.com and ask about that problem for the A048 tires when used on the street.

I have Michelin Pilot sport cups I use on the track and when I have them on the street they are fine. Not overly noisey but not super quiet either. They seem ok with windows down or up.

You don't want to wear out your tires too much but run it a little is OK.
Given Alex a call on the phone or even send email.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:59 PM
HC0624
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by minihune
If the noise is severe try calling Alex@tirerack.com and ask about that problem for the A048 tires when used on the street.

I have Michelin Pilot sport cups I use on the track and when I have them on the street they are fine. Not overly noisey but not super quiet either. They seem ok with windows down or up.

You don't want to wear out your tires too much but run it a little is OK.
Given Alex a call on the phone or even send email.
I guess I will try giving them (tirerack) a call, but thanks!

JOHN

Old 10-03-2006, 10:37 AM
eMINI
5th Gear
...if they were being used as track only tires then I would try to get them heat cycled right from the dealer or I would run them for one session and then let them cool down for 24 hours before I put them to regular use
This is pretty close to the procedure I've been taught. And, as someone else pointed out, there are differences from one tire to another.

My best results have been acheived when I ran about 4-5 laps. The first lap is super easy, the next few are progressively more demanding until the last, which is almost 10/10ths. Take care to avoid big slides and lock-up. Then bring the car in and get the tires in the air, either by putting the car on jack stands or removing the wheels from the car and stacking them. Then don't use them again for a minimum of 24 hours. Oftentimes 48 hours is recommened, sometimes even up to a week.

This process of slowly heating the tires, breaking the weaker (chemical/molecular) bonds, and allowing them to re-form will substantially improve the wear and consistency for track use. It's worth doing, believe me.

I've never had any luck with the figure-eight technique. As badly as I wanted it to work, it didn't seem to help much. I have a friend who gets good results from Tire Rack's heat cycling service. Again, as badly as I wanted it to work, it also didn't seem to work as well as doing it the old-fashioned way. Your results may vary, but heat-cycling track tires on track seems to be the best way.

Best of luck. And let us know how it works out for you.