Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Post Black/red lip wheels!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:26 PM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Black/red lip wheels!

Im wanting to see pics of 15-16 inch wheels that are black with a red lip! (that are actually for sale and will fit the MINI. NOT some limited edition wheel that i would never be able to get my hands on.)

Also does anyone have any experance with painting/powder coating a lip on a wheel?

Post away!

Old 10-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
1) Only ones I know you in those sizes that you can easily buy are the Rota Auto-X's, they come in 15's but I actually don't think they come in 4x100. They may have added a few more for this year but I'm not 100% sure.
2) You can't have them powder coated
3) I like that my wheels are one of a kind. It cost a lot, but I'm happy. I'm all for people doing interesting things with their wheels, I just really, really hope I don't see any others EXACTLY like mine.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
I really want a 6 spoke design like the SSR comps. I just wish they offered a red lip on their black wheel.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:41 PM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Honestly, it was far more trouble than I thought it would be. First off they can't be powdercoated. Then you have to find a place willing to do it and most paint shops didn't want to touch them... they said it was too much margin for error. I literally went to about 6 or 7 places and called countless others before I found a place that does custom hot rods and stuff that would paint them.... and I live in a huge city.

Ordering the wheels took about 5-6 weeks and then paint took 2 or 3 weeks. They had to do it twice and I could only get over there to look at them and inspect on weekends.

SSR comps could work because the lip is very pronounced... but after buying them and paint, those are going to be some seriously expensive wheels.

Old 10-05-2006, 12:43 PM
Chappy
5th Gear
There's a guy in my neighborhood running black wheels with a reflective red lip on his Honda S2000. I'll ask him what they are if I can ever catch him and maybe even get a picture. Based on what I've seen so far, it might be reflective tape .

Old 10-05-2006, 12:45 PM
Chappy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Jenn B
3) I like that my wheels are one of a kind. It cost a lot, but I'm happy. I'm all for people doing interesting things with their wheels, I just really, really hope I don't see any others EXACTLY like mine.
Got any pics?

NVRMD, I found one in another thread... SWEET wheels, nice job Jenn B!

Old 10-05-2006, 12:51 PM
Mini Mizer
5th Gear
Jenn, thank you much for the info! I will ask my auto/body paint shop what they think about painting the wheels. They are going to paint my wheel arch moldings and side skirts soon. They tend to do alot of custom work for alot of the big car clubs here in town, so hopefully they wont be too scared to tackle the task. But if the quote is too high then i think i can live without. So far they have priced everything very very resonable.

now if only my new clips...and euro wheel arch trim would come in the mail.

Old 10-15-2006, 08:35 PM
benaj
1st Gear
Motivated by the beautiful outcome of Jenn's efforts, I actually started dialogue with Jessica at 18racing about having some Rota Subzeros custom made with the Rota AutoX black and red finish. This would be a custom order factory finish from Rota through 18racing.com. Jessica thought we would probably have to do a small group buy 3 or 5 sets to get the custom order to work. It looks like it would take 2-3 months to build and ship them to the US, making this winter perfect timing for next season arrival.

Is anyone else interested in a set of 17" black Rota Subzeros with red polished lip, very similar to what Jenn has on her car, but without having to pay custom wheel $$? I am willing to do all the foot work with Jessica for other NAM members just for the opportunity to buy a set of these sweet lightweight wheels for myself for next spring.

Ben

Old 10-16-2006, 08:40 AM
slowclimb
3rd Gear
Doesn't the Rota Slipstream come in black with a red lip?

Old 10-16-2006, 08:53 AM
Jenn B
6th Gear
Does it have to be on the exact same wheels as mine?

Rota actually does make a few wheels that are black with red lip now, they just didn't when I got mine. The ones that Rota makes as a copy of some of the Ralliart wheels used on Evo's are really, really nice looking. I would have bought them if they were available when I bought mine.

Old 10-16-2006, 09:32 AM
benaj
1st Gear
The wheels don't necessarily have to be subzeros. I was just looking at getting a 17" wheel in black with red lip and would strongly prefer a lighter wheel, making subzeros a good choice. Slipstreams are nice and light, they just wouldn't be my 1st choice aesthetically speaking . . . . no offense to those who love the wheel.

When I was speaking to Jessica, some of the other Rota wheels that are becoming recently available in 17x7.5 size in 4x100 may look good (i.e. G-force), but she tells me they are not lightweight like the subzeros. By my casual research, the subzeros seem to be the logical choice, but I am open to other suggestions assuming we can find an option that is a good compromise of looks and weight. The other thing to keep in mind is that the lip of the wheel needs to be the type that would take well to a different color. Some of their wheels (e.g. Torque) wouldn't take to a different color lip than others (e.g. subzero or Grid).

Since Black finish with red polished lip is a "standard finish" per Rota's website, I assume Rota would be willing to do a custom order of any of their wheels in that finish.

Any suggestions?