Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Good year Eagle RSA and winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 02:14 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good year Eagle RSA and winter?

I just bought a 2003 MCS with 17 inch wheels. The tires are Goodyear Eagle RSA (205/45 R17). I live in Indianapolis. How is this tire in snow? THere is decent tread left. They need rotating as the front show a little more wear than the back.

Would they be okay in a climate that may get some snow but not a lot. I think highest month average is 9 inches and that is Jan with it tapering off to nothing by .4 inches by april.

Would I be okay or should I look for a 16 inch wheel to put some snow tires on? Goodyear rates them a 7 on snow.

Thanks,
Kenny

Old 10-06-2006, 02:21 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
I used my 16" Goodyear runflats last year and had no problems...I'm 125 miles east of you, near Dayton in western Ohio. When it gets real bad, a lot of people go for Blizzaks, but many also look for a set of 15" stock 175-65-15 tires as the skinny profile allows you to handle snow better, too. Some people have them for sale here, or you can usually find some on eBay.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:26 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
How often does it get really bad? I am going to run buy a good year store to have them look at the tread life and make a recommendation. I may look for some used snow tires but if I don't have to I would prefer an all season tire. We have jeep cherokee so if it gets REALLY bad then no one is on the road and we still have that to get around for necessities... I remember 2 feet off snow a few years ago, but that was a freak storm.

Old 10-06-2006, 09:03 PM
welshmenwillnotyield
6th Gear
It doesn't get real bad around here...maybe a few 5-7" snowfalls a year. Actually, blowing and drifting snow is the problem, along with ice. I'd LOVE to wear out my Goodyear runflats, but they just will not wear down. So far, I have about 33k on them, and was recently told that a friend got around 45k off his...I about puked. Still, even though I am not a runflat fan, I'll probably stick with them for awhile as I have a spare set of Dunlop 5000 DSSTs, AND because I hate the idea of getting stuck in the middle of nowhere without a spare [even if i do have Slime].

Old 10-18-2006, 12:59 PM
fprintf
2nd Gear
I have 42K on my runflats and they are still going except I have a slow leak in one from a recent puncture. Nothing that the occasional blast of compressed air can't handle. Anyhoo, I have driven this car through 2 decently serious Connecticut winters and have never been stuck, knock on wood.

I cannot say the same based on the tread depth now, but if yours have decent depth I'd say you should be fine. The problem with the MCS is not the snow traction itself but the front air dam scooping snow when it gets too deep that the car is unable to push through. Any reasonably careful driving with DSC *on* should be fine.

Old 10-18-2006, 06:25 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
I ended up going with new tires. I put continental contiextreme contacts on the mini light wheels. 215/45/17.

I am absolutely amazed by the increase in ride quality. With the runflats the thing was really really bumpy and things have smoothed out tremendously. I have not drive them that much yet so time will tell but so far with the increased comfort in city driving I am very pleased to move away from run flats.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:25 PM
PrplPplEtr
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wow, your treadlife is amazing. at not quite 9k miles, i need to rotate my tires. the fronts are about 1/2 gone. lol i'm like you, wishing (which is quite a change from my normal attitude) that the runflats would wear out sooner. regular tires are in my future, but i can't justify the expense until i have to replace them anyway.

haven't seen a winter since '99 when i'd worry about needing snow tires in Indy, unless you live off the beaten path, one thing bart does right is keep the roads pretty clean.

Old 10-23-2006, 01:06 PM
Newdl
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here was my theory....I live in Akron, Ohio...Not sure where your city is...but...I got myself a set of 15" holies on ebay for 400 with brand new tires mounted. (came off of a Florida cooper)

This way when my RFT's(eagle RS-A's) need replaced I can get something more agressive (now i have a set of Spec-2's waiting to be mounted in them for the Dragon this year). I also have a set of blizzak's to be mounted on the 15's when my conti's need replaced....

PM me if you wanna know more...I know Ohio Winter quite well...