Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

wheel spacers and camber

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 03:27 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
wheel spacers and camber

I just put on some 5mm wheel spacers on my MCS. Although i cleaned the hub of any rust and grit, it seems that the spacer is now going to be stuck on the hub forever. This will be a problem if I ever need another set of rotors, but i expect my powerslot cryo-tempered rotors to last a bit longer than the stock ones.

Aside from that the spacers are very cool, handling is noticably better. However the car has an increased tendency to steer to the right when no input is given. It does however, continue to track straight when the wheel is held.

Could the camber have gotten messed up from the spacers more so than it was?

Old 10-10-2006, 04:43 PM
onasled
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
none of this is really making any sence. I have never heard of spacers getting stuck on the rotors. Who's spacers are these?

Spacers should have no effect on camber. Not sure whats going on there

Old 10-10-2006, 05:42 PM
kenchan
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ +1

Old 10-10-2006, 07:10 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
The spacers are 5mm ones from H&R. The site (http://www.speedaction.net/hr-sp41-1024562.html) lists the center hole as 56.2mm, on the box it said the center hole was 56.1mm, perhaps that 0.1mm is enough to get it stuck. My wandering to the right has to be from the spacers, before them it was not as bad.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:09 PM
onasled
Banned
that's why it's best to get you parts from a company that knows what they are selling. Always use someone like Turner motorsports for these kinds of parts.
Anyway, you seem to be having issues that are just not heard of, so it sounds like you may have some faulty parts, or something else going on. Find the problem first before you start buying all sorts of other parts to fix it.
There is no way I would just leave on spacers that were stuck and just figure I'd just keep adding parts to make it OK. Sounds like the begining of a mess.
Get the spacers off and get the right size to start.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:17 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spacers can increase camber. If you think about it, you're moving the point where the tire piviots under the ball joint. Thus, the contact patch is moved more toward the center of the car.....which is bascially the same thing as adding camber.

Now the Mini has very little camber to begin with. You've added 5mm spacers (not very thick). I doubt it added any noticable camber.

But.....do you know about "tramlining"? When a car has more than approximatly 1.5 degrees of negative camber, it will tend to follow ruts in the road. (it doesn't wear out your tires.....toe does) These are the grooves left by semis on really hot days. They only exist on asphalt.

Maybe this will help "trouble shoot" your problem.

One last thing.....our brand new Mini (3 weeks old) came with white grease coated on the area where the wheel contacts the hub (not the face of the rotor, only on the edge of the hub). Maybe you should pry the spacers off, apply some lube (sand the center bore of the spacer?) and then re-mount it.

Old 10-10-2006, 08:21 PM
FUEGO
4th Gear
Strange problem. The MINI hubs are 56.1mm so it seems kinda weird they are listing them at 56.2mm when even hub-centric rings are rated for 56.1mm hubss.

Your spacers should be 5mm thick - period and since they are flat they can't add (or reduce) camber. But since they push the wheels out it can amplify the effects. Check your tire pressures. A pound or two difference on a performance type tread can cause pulling to one side and some have a tendancy to tramline (pull) more than others. If OK and if you remove the spacers I'd have your alignment checked w/o the spacers.

What was the reason for adding the spacers in the first place. What tires are you running and is the pull to the right happening on streets/roads where it really wasn't noticeable before?

BTW = a little anti-sieze before installation usually helps with spacers and hub-centric rings.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:38 PM
nabeshin
Functioning Lunatic
Any ideas of how to 'pry' off the spacers without bending them? They are after all, aluminum; a steel screw driver would destroy them. I havent done anything yet, but if i heated them up some how, would that be enough to remove them? Or would some anti seize lube/spray/cream and a wooden wedge be enough?

As for the reason I got the spacers, I was just curious how much better the handling would be. It is better.

The pull to the right happens on any road, even uncrowned concrete streets. It may have to do with my mushroomed driver's side strut tower. As i said earlier, when the wheel is held straight, the car goes straight.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:02 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
I'm guessing the spacer is seized at the hub, so you might try pulling the rotor off. The spacer will come with it, but it will not be stuck to the hub anymore. (should work)

Old 10-11-2006, 04:55 PM
glnr13
6th Gear
camber can't be affected by a spacer. the wear point on the tire may change but the angle of the wheel itself will stay the same

to get the spacer off soak it in antisieze and tap it w/ a rubber mallet. it should pop off.

tramlining has little to do w/ camber... it is influenced more by the road and tread pattern.

just out of curiosity, what tires and wheels are you running? you can greatly increase handling by changing either or both of those items before adding spacers.

and also if you are using spacers i hope you have invested in longer studs/lugs... although 5mm doesnt sound like much it is significant enough to affect the durability of the lugs.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:56 PM
scobib
5th Gear
If the spacer is aluminum, heat it with a propane torch and then knock it off... the aluminum should expand way faster than the ductile iron rotors...

Old 10-11-2006, 08:13 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by onasled
that's why it's best to get you parts from a company that knows what they are selling. Always use someone like Turner motorsports for these kinds of parts.
Anyway, you seem to be having issues that are just not heard of, so it sounds like you may have some faulty parts, or something else going on. Find the problem first before you start buying all sorts of other parts to fix it.
There is no way I would just leave on spacers that were stuck and just figure I'd just keep adding parts to make it OK. Sounds like the begining of a mess.
Get the spacers off and get the right size to start.
It's the right size, and that vendor uses the same part number that H&R specifies for their MINI spacers. I just ordered a set from Turner Motorsports and it is the same. I think the spacers sticking is exactly the same issue as people have with alloy wheels sticking to the hub (a common problem).

Old 10-12-2006, 12:00 AM
onasled
Banned
Originally Posted by scobib
If the spacer is aluminum, heat it with a propane torch and then knock it off... the aluminum should expand way faster than the ductile iron rotors...
+1

Old 10-14-2006, 05:04 PM
jefeant
2nd Gear
I have 5mm Eibach spacers since I installed the 225x45 tires and have no problem at all. If any change is for better handling. I recommend them.