Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

New Toyos

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 02:41 PM
mini552
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Toyos

Well, they're not "new" in the sense of a new model - but I wanted a set of 195/60/15s to mount on my '06 Cooper's holeys - felt that 195 width was about as far as I wanted to go on 5.5." rim width. Edge Racing had Toyo Proxes tpt in VR speed rating (hard to find in this size). Haven't had a chance to take an interesting, curvy road yet, but based on daily commute and some hard charging around off ramps and the curves I could find, I really like these tires. Grip seems much enhanced over the stock pirellis, turn-in seems a bit better, and both ride and noise level have improved - the tires are quite comfy and quiet. These are billed as highperf. all seasons, so I assume they're good in the rain. I still wish my holeys were at least 6 " width, but for anyone who wants to stay with stock rolling radius and get a little more rubber on the road, these seem like a good choice.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:38 AM
mansize
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wayyyyy different car by comparison but...
I had a set of the Proxes TPT on a leased Ford Taurus a couple of years ago, actually traded in the OEM shlock that came on the car for the TPT's.
I really liked them, they were more of a summer tire (VR rated also) by tread appearance, but I ran them year round and they were acceptable in winter.
I thought they were getting noisy towards the end of their life (they lasted 37,000 miles) but it turned out to be the car as the noise was present with the replacement set as well. (Goodrich Traction T/A's as selected by employer lease company)
Would not hesitate to recommend the TPT's, in fact, my positive experience with them led me to eventually shod my Cooper w/ T1R's for summer and Observe G02's for winter, so it's Toyo all the way for my MINI!