Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

BBK Installation - How Difficult?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 09:21 AM
Mini-Hype
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BBK Installation - How Difficult?

I'm looking to tackle the BBK install on my Mini today. For some reason, I'm a bit more worried about this job...than any other I've done before.

I do a brake job at least every 6 months on my other vehicles, but this one scares me. I bought the Wilwood 13" x .81" BBK, front only. I know there's some grinding involved, and I'm paranoid about screwing things up.

So for those of you who have done your own BBK installation, is there anything I should be worried about? Any tips, pointers or words of advice? I have another vehicle to drive, just in case I can't get it finished in time - so I'm not worried about rushing the project.

Thanks,
Gary

Old 10-28-2006, 09:49 AM
mjgmcs1
3rd Gear
Very curious about how this goes. Wilwoods are on my 'future mod' list. Please keep us updated. Thanks and good luck.

Old 10-28-2006, 10:30 AM
Mini-Hype
2nd Gear
Thanks. I'm going to get started on it...I'll let you know how it goes. Any tips or pointers from anyone else would be greatly appreciated. I'll be checking my computer periodically.

Thanks!

Old 10-28-2006, 10:46 AM
toddtce
Former Vendor
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
It's covered in the instruction notes quite clearly Gary. You're arms would get seriously tired before you'd have it all screwed up!

Trace the M12 washer as a guide to the material to be removed between the ears on the knuckle. You can remove the forging line from the caliper if you wish but most of the required material should be taken only from the iron ears.

The tool for this is a 4" or larger Makita grinder. A dremel tool ain't gonna cut it. With the proper tool the entire time on this is about 5min per side as the needed removal is very small- only enough to allow the ears of the caliper not nest between the ears of the ears of the knuckle.

* This is only needed on the 13" kits and not on the smaller Wilwood factory brackets. Larger calipers; more room needed....

Old 10-28-2006, 11:22 AM
Mini-Hype
2nd Gear
Thanks Todd...I'm currently pulling the caliper/rotor off. I have a 4" angle grinder, so I shouldn't have any issues. I'm getting excited to have them on

Old 10-28-2006, 12:02 PM
Mini-Hype
2nd Gear
Todd,
I'm getting ready to start grinding, but am a bit confused on which caliper should be on which side. I'm doing the right side first (right side, if I'm sitting in the car). The model number marking on the caliper ends in "R", so I assume this is the right side caliper. My understanding is that the bleeder valves should be facing up. If I put the caliper with the "R" marking on the right side, they face down. If I put the "L" marked caliper on the right side, the bleeder valves face up.

???

Thanks,
Gary

Old 10-28-2006, 12:15 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
The boxes are marked for rear mount calipers. You have front mount calipers. Forget the boxes just put the bleeders up as the instructions indicate and you'll be fine.

Old 10-28-2006, 12:20 PM
Mini-Hype
2nd Gear
Thanks a bunch, Todd! Thanks for the great customer service, ever since I purchased them!!!

Old 10-28-2006, 01:12 PM
Mini-Hype
2nd Gear
Okay...got the grinding done - piece of cake. Hopefully this will be the last question, since everything else appears pretty simple.

Is the bracket against the steering knuckle supposed to be like:

1)

-- or --
2)

Old 10-28-2006, 02:30 PM
Mini-Hype
2nd Gear
Looking at the following link:
http://gandini.unm.edu/PGpages/Interests/BBK.htm

It appears that it should be installed as in my first picture (#1 above).

Gary

Old 10-28-2006, 09:03 PM
toddtce
Former Vendor
That's correct, the nuts are on the outboard side. The calipers won't mount up with the required centering spacers the other way.