Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Pictures Of "home Painted" Wheels Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 07:16 AM
JCWGurl
Coordinator :: Manitoba MINI Motoring Club
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pictures Of "home Painted" Wheels Wanted

Hey all. Rex has 3 pairs of shoes so I'm not too concerned if I mess up on his winter booties.

These are the wheels we have. I'd like to see them painted a gloss black. I have scads of time on my hands and am willing to take the time it may need to do a really good job (if it can be done). I've read through people saying that powdercoating is the way to go (and I'm sure it is!) but what does it look like if you try it at home with the right products?

Pics please

Old 10-29-2006, 07:47 AM
karlInSanDiego
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JCWGurl
I've read through people saying that powdercoating is the way to go (and I'm sure it is!) but what does it look like if you try it at home with the right products?

Pics please
Never tried it but you'd need an oven big enough to hold your wheel. I'd be concerned about how cooking the wheels might affect the alloy???

Home powder coating is more in the realm of folks with a spare oven in their garage and a budget for a powdercoating gun/kit. I wish I could tell you it's a lot like spray painting but it is not. Also if the need to custom paint is to choose an exact color or match your body, you may find that the powder you can buy is not easily color customized. Powdercoating in cars was previously reserved for applying a really tough coating of paint to chassis parts so they won't chip, but few people stress about having less than perfect finish on an a-arm.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/p...&keyword=10198

I'd suggest you find a local powder coater and ask them for a quote. They'll know if it's safe to do, and it'll probably be under $300 anyway. Pros will always do a better job with paint, so unless you'd like to do this many times or start a sideline business, I'd suggest leaving it to a pro.

Last edited by karlInSanDiego; 10-29-2006 at 07:52 AM. Reason: more info