Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 07:25 AM
S Curvz
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake noise

Over the past couple of weeks I have been on an adventure with my brakes. It all started with a simple bleeding of the brakes for a track day. While bleeding the brakes we noticed that the rear pads were thin, so I decided to go ahead and replace them.

After a trip to Out Motoring I had a new set of Mintex Redbox pads on the car, mostly. When we got to installing the pads on the right rear, we found the caliper to be seised. So, a call to Classic was in order. After waiting a few more days for the caliper, we installed the caliper and off i went to bed the brakes. Wow, so much less dust than OEM pads! Even less than the Green stuff I had on my last car!

So the noise, when the brakes get cold, there is a high pitched squeal from the rear. If you get on the brakes, the squeal gets louder for a second then goes quite as the brakes get hot. What could cuase this?

The friend who helped me with the brakes thinks that the rotor could have hot spots in it because of the old pads dragging on it. Is there any inexpensive way to fix this? Any other ideas what could be causing the problem? The pads are not dragging now, both rear wheels were cold after running the car hard for a couple hundred miles (got to love back roads).

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2006, 04:48 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Turn the radio way up! :-)

Sean, maybe you should put a dial indicator on there & check the runout of the rotors. One or both could have a slight warp to them. The left side had to get hella hot from that stuck calliope. It could even be caused by the pads that you & that old guy put on. Remember, your rear brakes made no noise before you changed them. Hows that for muddying the water? If all else fails turn the radio way up.

Old 11-01-2006, 05:32 AM
polmear
3rd Gear
It could just be the pad compound, it might need to be hot to be quiet. Remember: AM suppliers don't have to be concerned with noise, roughness, and harshness issues; I'm not saying that most aren't concerned with those issues, just that they don't have to be.

Old 11-01-2006, 06:49 AM
mdsbrain
OVERDRIVE
I always though that was the pads removing the rust that collects on the rotors.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:04 AM
mitchman
5th Gear
They make antisqueal for brakes. It's a sticky grease that you put between the caliper piston and the pad (and/or the pad and the backing plate....don't know if Mini's have the thin backing plates.....yet)

Couldn't hurt to try.

Old 11-01-2006, 07:12 AM
S Curvz
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Crashton
Sean, maybe you should put a dial indicator on there & check the runout of the rotors. One or both could have a slight warp to them. The left side had to get hella hot from that stuck calliope. It could even be caused by the pads that you & that old guy put on. Remember, your rear brakes made no noise before you changed them. Hows that for muddying the water? If all else fails turn the radio way up.
I thought the pads were supposed to be quite, I hope its not the pads. The radio only works so well...sun roof worked great...but its getting cold...

Originally Posted by polmear
It could just be the pad compound, it might need to be hot to be quiet. Remember: AM suppliers don't have to be concerned with noise, roughness, and harshness issues; I'm not saying that most aren't concerned with those issues, just that they don't have to be.
I think the Redbox pads are OEM in Euro, at least thats what I thought I read somewhere...

Originally Posted by mdsbrain
I always though that was the pads removing the rust that collects on the rotors.
Hum, Never hurd that before, wouldnt mind if thats what it is.

Originally Posted by mitchman
They make antisqueal for brakes. It's a sticky grease that you put between the caliper piston and the pad (and/or the pad and the backing plate....don't know if Mini's have the thin backing plates.....yet)

Couldn't hurt to try.
Already used that stuff when installing the pads. The "old guy" that helped me install the pads recommended doing it right from the get go.