Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Warning Light After Tire Rotation?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 11:45 AM
mitchman
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning Light After Tire Rotation?

I rotated the tires front to rear yesterday and then while driving around the Tire Warning Light came on. I pulled over and checked the pressures and they were all good. So I pressed and held the reset button, drove for about a minute and the light went off. It never came back on again.

I need to read the manual (the wife has the car right now), but I don't think just pressing and holding the reset button will actually reset it....will it?

Any thoughts on what happened? Will this happen everytime we rotate the tires?

Old 10-30-2006, 11:53 AM
MiniRacerRick
Coordinator :: NorCal MINIs
Originally Posted by mitchman
I rotated the tires front to rear yesterday and then while driving around the Tire Warning Light came on. I pulled over and checked the pressures and they were all good. So I pressed and held the reset button, drove for about a minute and the light went off. It never came back on again.

I need to read the manual (the wife has the car right now), but I don't think just pressing and holding the reset button will actually reset it....will it?

Any thoughts on what happened? Will this happen everytime we rotate the tires?

The tire pressure warning light has to be reset after rotating yout tires. As stated in the owner's manual, start your car, hold down the button on the center console until the light comes in the speedo, then you are set to drive off and the light will go out. this resets the tire warning system.

Old 10-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MiniRacerRick
The tire pressure warning light has to be reset after rotating yout tires. As stated in the owner's manual, start your car, hold down the button on the center console until the light comes in the speedo, then you are set to drive off and the light will go out. this resets the tire warning system.
My manual says to turn the key to position 2, then hold the button long enough for the light to come back on, then start the car and drive.
I have rotated my tires before without resetting the light. As long as all four tires have the same pressure, you should be fine.
The sensors detect rotation speed of the wheel/tire and not the actual pressure.

Old 10-30-2006, 12:06 PM
mitchman
5th Gear
Hmmmm.......sounds like they may have changed the proceedure. I'll check our manual when the wife gets back with the car next week.

Thanks!

Old 10-30-2006, 12:16 PM
MrV
4th Gear
This happens to me whenever I change my tires / rotate them (like switching them for autocross).

I had a quick panic the first time it happened. Now I just ignore it. One day I am sure that sort of attitude will get me in trouble.

Old 10-31-2006, 05:36 AM
LEPRACHAUN
3rd Gear
You can also reset while driving along by just pushing and holding the reset button.( '04 at least)

Old 11-03-2006, 04:00 PM
ddebiz
1st Gear
'03 Same thing just push the button hold whether driving or not. I had two scares last time. I had the Dealer in St. Louis rotate them and almost lost a tire on the way out. Left front lugs not tightened and the pressure light came on. Got it back to dealer for red faced apology and explanation of the low pressure light.

Old 11-03-2006, 06:28 PM
moreorless
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrV
This happens to me whenever I change my tires / rotate them (like switching them for autocross).

I had a quick panic the first time it happened. Now I just ignore it. One day I am sure that sort of attitude will get me in trouble.
Wolf! Wolf! Hehehe....

No biggie. Mine's done it 5 out of 7 times I've rotated my tires,
but I check all tires for correct pressure whilst executing the rotating.

So I just reset and go on my way.

Now...if it comes on at any other time .....I'm off to the side of road pronto!!

...Les

Old 11-03-2006, 06:59 PM
apexer
6th Gear
I've rotated my wheels/tires ofter. Never had the light come on. It did come one once in a very heavy rain storm.