Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Brake Woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 08:15 AM
xbook
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake Woes

Hiya All

I have a little problem, and I need some advice from fellow/sister NAM'ers, please.

On this past wednesday, the day before Thanksgiving, I took my car into Universal City MINI to have the brakes dealt with. The Brake Pad Light had come on a few days prior. They replaced front pads & rotors, and rear pads. I assumed the work was up to snuff. Did a test drive with a mechanic, didn't hear or feel anything out of the ordinary. So, I left, and went about my business.

The next day, Thanksgiving, my girlfriend and I went on a road trip. About 200 miles into the trip, we needed to make a stop. When we pulled off of the highway, we heard this NASTY high-pitched squeaking sound. We had no idea where it came from. Then again yesterday, after going on a 100 mile drive, at the end of it we heard that squeaking again. We pulled into a small parking lot and shannon stuck her head out the window and listened, while I drove in small circles. She said she was certain the sound was coming from the back wheels, and it sounded to be from the right more than the left.

So that is our problem, nasty high-pitched squeak/friction sound emanating from the rear brakes, after they have been brought up to operating temperature. And this is after a brake pad change/service. I will be contacting the dealer on monday, they aren't open today. Here is my question, sorry it took so long to get here, do you think the car will be ok to still drive around on a road trip, 100 miles a day, giving a little bit of extra gas whenever possible. Or should we just drive the car home and baby it along the way?

I would really like to know what all of you think, beofre we go hit some canyon here on the Central California Coast, and put us into some ditch....that would SUCK...

thanks for the advice,

Jason

Old 11-25-2006, 09:13 AM
psb
3rd Gear
i do not know the answer to your question, but good luck!

Old 11-25-2006, 10:46 AM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like a stuck caliper. Have it checked out asap. A brake shop could take a look at it and see if they could free it up for your trip home.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Motor On
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Have the pads been bedded in all the way?

Old 11-27-2006, 01:15 PM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it's a consistant squeek (Not on and off) it could be a seized caliper. If it's on and off (Squeek, Squeek, Squeek increasing with vehicle speed) then it could be a warped rotor or improperly bedded pads. Your post didn't specify whether the noise was only audible during braking or if it was all the time. Either way, hope you get it fixed!

Old 11-27-2006, 07:28 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rustyboy155
If it's a consistant squeek (Not on and off) it could be a seized caliper.
I have read others having a seized rear caliper. Is this a problem to be aware of with the mini?

Old 11-27-2006, 08:10 PM
goaljnky
Banned
It does sound like a caliper issue. BTW, Jason, you should give Bob Smith a try. Way better than Universal. A little further, but worth it in my opinion.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:17 PM
MINIBrakes
1st Gear
I would be very surprised if a stuck caliper was your issue. It is a rare occurence on a newer car and would almost certainly be traceable to a torn boot or something else like that to allow rust and/or other stuff to gunk it up. Much more likely is that your pads are not bedded well and do not have a nice transfer layer built up - OR - your dealer did not do such a great brake job and failed to grease the pads well or break them in properly for you.

If they are working properly but just making noise that all but rules out a stuck caliper - I'd just bed them in well.

Brake squeal is not an indication of malfunctioneing brakes - it is an annoying by-product of friction.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:48 PM
xbook
Banned
Ok I hadn't had the chance to update this htread. Sorry about that.

I took the MINI into Universal MINI to get them to sort this out. AFter driving around with a mechanic, they finally heard the sound, and opted to do a visual inspection. Upon the inspection, they informed me a rock was somehow "in the pad" and the took it out and everything was fine.

So now everything is wrapped up, and the best part is the brakes now have the pedal feel they should have after having new rotors and pads. Man they qere squishy before they found that rock.

Old 12-06-2006, 06:23 PM
ScottinBend
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did they replace the rotor? I would have been concerned about a gouge in the rotor.