Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

runflats?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 12:24 PM
piff2121
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
runflats?

i need new tires and the runflats are kind of expensive.

what other tire do you reccommend?

and if i dont get runflats what will it effect?

Old 11-28-2006, 12:28 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by piff2121
It'll affect your ability to drive with a flat tire !!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Seriously, you can replace your run-flats with non run-flats and it will have no negative affect on your MINI. I was reading a thread about that a few weeks ago and many have done that.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:30 PM
rivet
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by piff2121
Performance - positively!

Old 11-28-2006, 12:31 PM
bamatt
6th Gear
Piff do a thread search for tires or go browse in the tire & wheel forum. There are like a zillion threads & arguments on RF vs non-RF & replacement sizes & brands already around that would help you in your search for replacement tires

Old 11-28-2006, 12:41 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally, I didn't notice much of a difference when I swapped out my performance RFs for non-RF All Season tires (I purchased a second set of rims for my winter rubber), but that might be because the RF's only had like 4k miles on them when I switched. I hear the RF's get louder at about half-tread, but I haven't noticed that yet. As for ride stiffness, I swear I don't notice AT ALL but that might be because I drive a "heavy" cabrio with no ride MODs - no sway bars or stiffening of any kind. I dunno (shrug).

Non-RF's are definitely cheaper to replace and mount, but you'll need to carry a can of Fix-a-Flat in the boot in case you run over a nail or someting.

Oh, and FYI - even though you CAN plug RF tires (many people here have done so), lots of garages will refuse to do so. Non-RFs can almosty always be plugged (depending on the nature of the hole, obviously), which is another thing that's less futzy about them.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:47 PM
rivet
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ImagoX
Personally, I didn't notice much of a difference....
If you went from performance run flats to all weather tires, there may not have been much difference. All weathers are heavier and stiffer and may produce a similar ride to the run flats. When I switched to performance non runflats there was a considerable difference. The car accelerated better and the ride was not as stiff.

Old 11-28-2006, 01:12 PM
ImagoX
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe that's it... (( shrug)). I was expecting to feel like I was riding on a bed of Angel Soft toilet paper switching to standard rubber and was confused when it felt the same. Of course, I in NO WAY felt the RF's ride was "stiff" though. I guess I need to drive a car with soft standard tires to see the difference - as it is, I think the MINI has an excellent ride - stiff but not harsh.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:32 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I changed from 16" runflats to 16" nonrunflats. Too me it was a very noticeable difference. It took the edge off the ride, the short sharp bump, bump, bump that was always there was gone. This week I switched to my snow tires, 15" snows. Again I noticed a noticeable change in the ride. Almost buttery smooth for a MINI.

Matt how much air pressure are you running in those Conti's? Too much air will make the softest tire ride like concrete.

Old 11-29-2006, 05:46 PM
V70R
3rd Gear
I just switched from the summer only dunlop 9000 runflats to the pirelli snow sport winter tires, both 17's. I had my stock set of R91 rims and used them for the winter tires, keeping the runflats on the R99 anthracites. The non runflat pirelli's are much more comfortable and quieter than the dunlops - I had 10k on the dunlops when I switched. I was amazed at the weight of the pirelli's when they showed up at my door from the tirerack (so was the ups guy) but I haven't felt much of a weight related handling disadvantage as a result.

They are not as stable in corners as the 9000's, and braking is reduced, but again this is a summer only runflat compared to a winter sport tire. I'm a little leery of keeping a can of fix a flat in the trunk as it is a royal pain to clean out of a rim, and I'd almost rather replace a tire caked up with that stuff than try and clean it, but it's better than being stuck somewhere.

The earlier point about not being able to repair a runflat is a good one - many shops won't do it, so you'd have to buy a new expensive tire that more than likely will have quite a bit more tread than your existing tires.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:36 PM
CooperGear
Banned
I changed to non runflats because of the price!!! Yes, you may have a hard time getting a runflat tire fixed. I got my Kuhmos for 77/tire and if I pick up a nail that can't be repaired it is not that big a deal. I also got the protection plan that is offered. I have a compressor and a can of fix a flat in the boot, just in case.

Oh yeah, the ride is SO much better without the runhards!

Old 11-29-2006, 09:08 PM
HaveBulldogWillTravel
2nd Gear
I just gota set of 17" Pilot Exaltos...I plan to swap

them for the Dunlop 9000 RFs that are currently on my MCS. I'll let you know what I think after I get them on and drive them for a few hundred miles...hope you can wait a week or 2.

Old 11-30-2006, 04:42 AM
wilson0728
2nd Gear
I ended up changing out the Run Flats for the Avon All Season and have no complaints as of yet.

Old 11-30-2006, 06:33 AM
Flyer
2nd Gear
I just put new tires on our MINI. I went with some Fuzion (Bridgestone knock offs I believe) over the GY run flats. These tire will actually put the suspension under a load, where the GY's would begin to slide. The Fuzions are MUCH MUCH quieter and even have a smoother ride.

After these tires went on was the very first time I really felt the car was being pushed in some hard curves.