Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

TSW's Rotors - coming soon!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 10:29 AM
minispeedrcr
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any updates. how well did the install go? hows the feel and performance? Anyone with pics yet? I placed my order today for rotors and SS lines.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:05 PM
txwerks
Banned
I can say that we had someone install a front set at AMVIV in an emergency, before the Phil Wicks track day... and, he pounded on them all day at the track. He said they worked great, and they looked great after the day's sessions.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:27 PM
F15EWeapon
5th Gear
Install was fantastic... not that any brake job with different rotors wouldn't be the same... it's just bolts and stuff. Ended up putting 4 coats of red paint on the calipers.. G2. That stuff is wicked sticky...so wear gloves. It's also critically important to make sure all the fluid is pushed/drained out of the calipers, as it will strip the paint right off!! (Good for clean-up if you get any on your arms in the process, presuming you remember to wear some gloves!)

So... after the install, bleeding and all that... The coating on the rotors needs to be worn off, and basically you need to be ultra cautious while doing that, because your braking performance is severely diminished until that happens. I kept at it until I could get the ABS to engage. So far, I can't tell if I need to get the pads to wear in more before they feel like they have much bite, or if they just don't have much when they are cold. When they are nice and warm, they feel really good. Plenty of bite at temp. I'll report back after they've worn in a little more, and after 2 autocross' this month. I've been meaning to get pics done soon...so apologies for the lack of them right now.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:24 PM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
I agree, just put on my TSW rotors, some Hawk pads, and new fluid. Install went really well. Drove around doing hard stops until they smoked. So far so good, will know more after the next HPDE. They look good, anyway.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:37 PM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
Just installed my rotors and a new set of Hawk HP+ pads- just got back from bedding in the pads. The autox season starts soon, I'll report back after I get some autox and HPDE time in on them.

Jason

Old 04-08-2007, 05:48 PM
day96
2nd Gear
how are these with the hp + pads? (i'm currently running the pads with stock rotors)

Old 04-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
Originally Posted by day96
how are these with the hp + pads? (i'm currently running the pads with stock rotors)
I can't really say yet. I ran HP+ with stock rotors before, and liked them. I'm going with HPS all around with the TSW's to start with, and will put HP+ on the front for a track day next month. Then I'll tell you. I sure liked the bite the HP+ had over the HPS's though.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:26 PM
F15EWeapon
5th Gear
I'm happy to report that after some more hard braking, then letting the car sit overnight... the next morning the porterfield pads felt totally fine cold, just as good as oem, and after getting slightly warm, they totally rock. Have no fear in ordering these pads. I have 2 autocrosses in the next 2 weekends, so I'll be sure to report back on how they felt there.

Oh, BTW... Jeff and Scott at TSW were total pro's working with me. I can't thank you guys enough for your patience in dealing with a rookie brake guy like me. TSW ROCKS!!

Old 04-09-2007, 06:52 AM
txwerks
Banned
I really like the R4-S after they are broken in - the warmer they get, the better they get. At some point, they will fade, but it takes a WHOLE lot of abuse before they'll get there. For a low dust street pad, they're pretty daggone killer and are hands down better than anything else that I've run that's 'low-dust'.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:55 AM
Qtip
2nd Gear
I have had the TSW rotors and the R4-S pads for one week and am loving them.
drove on some twistys over the weekend and this setup is sweet [FONT=&quot]tomorrow[/FONT] I will test them in the snow . hear are some pic I took during and after the install
fresh
after bedding them in

Old 04-14-2007, 06:07 PM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
Just a report on the TSW rotors and Hawks: I started out with the Hawk HPS front and rear, but was a little disappointed with the pedal effort required. More than I'm used to, more than stock even. Yesterday I put Hawk HP+ on the front, and it's sooo much better. Maybe I'm just used to the HP+, but they work a lot better. Perhaps the TSW rotors are harder, and need a higher CF? I don't know, but there's a big difference.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:30 PM
txwerks
Banned
Many lower dust pads will require more pedal effort until they warm up a bit (until they get too hot and then fade away like the dickens - hah!)... The Porterfield R4-S are the same way until they get a bit of heat in them and then they're quite awesome. Unlike other lower dust pads that I've tried, the R4-S don't seem to overheat and fade away at the autocross...

Just FYI, the HP+ can be somewhat hard on the rotors if they don't warm up enough...

Old 04-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Bullfrog
4th Gear
Originally Posted by txwerks
Many lower dust pads will require more pedal effort until they warm up a bit (until they get too hot and then fade away like the dickens - hah!)... The Porterfield R4-S are the same way until they get a bit of heat in them and then they're quite awesome. Unlike other lower dust pads that I've tried, the R4-S don't seem to overheat and fade away at the autocross...

Just FYI, the HP+ can be somewhat hard on the rotors if they don't warm up enough...
Yep, that's just what I'm seeing. The HPS's cold take a lot of pedal, it's a little disconcerting until you get used to it. HP+ feel so much better. Lots more dust, but I don't care. Haven't let me down on the track yet. How come they're hard on the rotors until they warm up? Wouldn't they be hard on the rotors when they're hot, also? Just curious. Who'd of thunk there was so much difference from pad to pad? They all seem to have their little quirks.

Old 04-21-2007, 01:00 PM
jasonsmf
5th Gear
Just a quick report back after my first HPDE on the TSW rotors and HP+ pads:
What a nice improvement over stock! The pads really "came on" once up to temp- I wasn't expecting this because they stop so well at street temps. We were running the pro-course at Mid Ohio (harder on brakes, has an additional 100MPH+ straight into a HARD righ hander), and I was able to get them to fade once on the back straight, although it took a lot to get them that hot. Thats what I get for running a street/track pad as opposed to a dedicated track only pad. All in all, the brakes worked great, the rotors held just fine and I even got a handful of "ohhh....ahhhhhhh's" from the appearance of the slots.

Jason

Old 04-22-2007, 07:20 PM
MINIMM
4th Gear
I've have had the The Porterfield R4-S pads for several months. I purchased them from TSW. Great people to deal with BTW.

I attended two Autocross schools with speeds up to 85 mph to sudden stop and one Autocross this season.

I have had no fade whatever, no noise and very little dust with stock rotors.

Needless to say I am very pleased with my The Porterfield R4-S pads (front only).

Old 04-29-2007, 08:34 AM
ddeaton
1st Gear
So whats the word?

Old 06-11-2007, 06:47 PM
SteveS
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm needing brakes. Looks like this is more reasonable approach for street and autocross driving. I have not yet, but intend to to a track day or few. Would anyone comment on R4 vs R4s pads and cold/street performance comparison. Also, how would wear on rotors be?

Thanks

Old 06-12-2007, 08:58 AM
F15EWeapon
5th Gear
Steve,

Unless you're doing HPDE, don't bother with the full track pads. I have the R4-S pads, and I typically will heat them up when I first drive to get full bite on them... they don't bite super great when cold... but as soon as they are warm (Like 2 stops) they rock! I've been using them for a few autocross events, and have been impressed how deep into a corner I can scrub off speed with them. Zero fade, confident braking performance. Don't hesitate to call Jeff at TSW.