Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

uneven tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 03:06 PM
muidaq
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
uneven tire wear

I took MACHBOX to the shop to have the tires rotated today and the front tires have worn down on the inside edges much quicker than the rest of the tread. Is there something I should look at getting done before I have these tires replaced?

Also, they told me it's better to have more tread on the rear tires than the front, which seemed counter-intuitive to me on a front drive car. Are they full of it?

Mike

Old 12-15-2006, 11:02 PM
trico
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get an alignment. It sounds like there is too much toe in the front.

I have heard the same thing about tires, that the better tread should go on the rear wheels in a front wheel drive vehicle. I don't know why. I'm sure Alex, or another guru, will explain. However, if you want to keep your tires longer, rotation every 3,000 miles, especially on high and ultra-high performance tires, will keep the wear more even.

Old 12-17-2006, 01:11 AM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by muidaq
I took MACHBOX to the shop to have the tires rotated today and the front tires have worn down on the inside edges much quicker than the rest of the tread. Is there something I should look at getting done before I have these tires replaced?

Also, they told me it's better to have more tread on the rear tires than the front, which seemed counter-intuitive to me on a front drive car. Are they full of it?

Mike
Are the tires worn to the point of needing replacement? How many miles do you have on them now? 20,000?

Don't forget to check air pressures monthly and rotate more often if needed- roughly 3000-5000 miles is OK. Most people wait too long.
Replacing two tires is OK.

Alignment to stock specs whenever changing to new tires is always good to do.

Put the better tires on the rear is fine, depends on how good the rear tires are still. For most driving it won't be much different which tires you put on the front or rear but for wet driving your front tires will tend to steer where you go but resistance to hydroplaning will require rear tires that have enough tread to keep you out of trouble. So they are telling you the "truth".