Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Do you guys like these/would you recommend these?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 05:34 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you guys like these/would you recommend these?

CORRECTION I *think* I will go with the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymetrical - 205/50/R16 (pretty sure on size, not so much on the tire) I think, and so far, these 16' rims are winning. Do you like them? Would you recommend them?

I'm getting that particular size due to all the ****ing potholes in the area and the fact that based on what I was looking for, Alex recommended them.

OR, for the same cost, someone has offered to sell me their S-lites. BUT, I'm afraid the same thing will happen to them that happened to my first set of S-lites. BENT, BENT, BENT. The runflats are toast, too. The potholes have totally destroyed both tires and rims, AND they (the potholes) are unavoidable. They stretch the full way across the road.

What should I do?

EDITED: decided to not go with these. Decided the look was too angled for the subtle curves of the car - thx Dixon

Old 01-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Chubbafied
2nd Gear
wow... nice looking set of OZ, what are they called? 16x7 i'm guessing?

Yeah i'd definitely rock those...

Haven't heard much about the Dunlops you're talking about... Not really sure what you're looking for in a tire but i'm guessing all-season capability?

Old 01-09-2007, 09:27 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually like my 16" for ride quality over my 17" with Pirelli Euphori@s. I had the 5000 asymmetrical on my Passat back in 2000-2001, they're a "nice" all-season performance-type tire, not overly aggressive, pretty quiet, but I found them easy to spin in the wet under power. Seemed to grip OK and was quite predictable though. Alex is the guy.

For wheels, I'd doublecheck how they look on the Mini. Nice thing about our cars is they look decent with a wide variety of wheels, though our cars are pretty curvy and that wheel is all angles and lines. Is that the OZ Canova? Looks like the Racing Harts I had on my Mazdaspeed. Here are a few others I liked, some are even less pricey:

Borbet CA

Rial Flair

ASA JS6

Borbet typeLS (I have the "Rage" version of these, look great, not too bad to clean if you have the right size brush and some time)

And maybe.... (though it's a little barbie-esque)

or the ol' Ronal Bear:

(OK, so those last 2 are mainly novelty wheels... I do kinda like the Bear though...)

Also, check the Marketplace as many folks move decent wheels through there at good prices. The stock Mini Convertible wheels are also pretty cool.... but I'm a more conservative type.

Good luck with your choice, whatever you do!

That price for S-lites is a mite high, IMHO.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:33 AM
Chubbafied
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
ASA JS6
I think i've caught a recent fever for some of these throwback wheels~

Rota RB is a similar looking wheel i've been staring at lately...

Old 01-09-2007, 09:59 AM
vdubdoug
6th Gear
I like the Oz's. I never had a problem bending S lites or X lites when I lived in NY and consistantly ran through and over pot holes. The run flats held up and so did the wheels. Maybee I was lucky or it was just my see a pot hole and smash the loud pedal style that kept me out of trouble

Old 01-09-2007, 10:01 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Dixon, I have to give a definitive NO on the last two you posted HAHAHAHA Although, I AM driving the Mommy-mobile, so perhaps the bear is fitting HAHAHA.....

And you guessed it right...Those are the OZ Canova...

You know? I'm not a big fan of the throwback models. But yes, those have REALLY caught on! I've seen lots of posts with those wheels.

Oh yeah, after I visited the for sale board, I realized that that $1000 is high for the S-lites with tires. Funny that the dealer wanted $2000 for a new set. I just laughed and said NO.

The only problem that I just noticed is that the Canovas are 22 pounds each. Is that too heavy for spirited cornering???

Old 01-09-2007, 10:25 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
I like this one, too. Is Borbet an OK brand?

Old 01-09-2007, 11:25 AM
bean
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd be forced to move to a place w/ better roads and keep my hre's!

Old 01-09-2007, 11:37 AM
txwerks
Banned
Originally Posted by WannaMini_
I like this one, too. Is Borbet an OK brand?

Borbet is a fine brand... lots of local autocrossers here run them on their e36 M3's - and some of them are making SERIOUS power!

Old 01-09-2007, 12:14 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Borbets are great - had Borbet type E's on an old GTI and they held up to a lot. Glad you're successfully resisting the daisys and bears. I do like the Rota RB over the ASA (both Panasport replicas). I think Moss or Minimania has more real Panasports.

22lb is a HEAVY 16" wheel. Not too heavy for spirited cornering, but a heavier wheel will make the car feel less nimble, we can even feel it when I go from the heavier OE wheels on our Honda Odyssey (Mini Support Vehicle) to lighter wheels with snows. You'd certainly notice the difference. 22lb is as heavy as a 17" S-lite (IIRC), but at 16"... that's heavy.

Consider also some of the OE 16" 5-spokes,they look great and a little retro... oops, temporary amnesia that you don't want retro... and Rota makes some nice knockoffs as well. I've had great experiences with Tire Rack, good also with Discount Tire online.

If you get a chance, check Konky's gallery, he had some 16" Porsche 5-lug wheels on that looked fantastic (adaptors, in case you were curious, and as for cost if you have to ask... but they looked maahvelous daahlink)

Old 01-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Duck360198
6th Gear
Those things are SHARP! I like em!!

Originally Posted by WannaMini_
CORRECTION I *think* I will go with the Dunlop SP Sport 5000 Asymetrical - 205/50/R16 (pretty sure on size, not so much on the tire) I think, and so far, these 16' rims are winning. Do you like them? Would you recommend them?

I'm getting that particular size due to all the ****ing potholes in the area and the fact that based on what I was looking for, Alex recommended them.

OR, for the same cost, someone has offered to sell me their S-lites. BUT, I'm afraid the same thing will happen to them that happened to my first set of S-lites. BENT, BENT, BENT. The runflats are toast, too. The potholes have totally destroyed both tires and rims, AND they (the potholes) are unavoidable. They stretch the full way across the road.

What should I do?

Old 01-10-2007, 06:07 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
I've had great experiences with Tire Rack, good also with Discount Tire online.
I didn't even think about Discount Tire - my corporate discount works for them, too. I will take a peek at their site.

Seems like the more I learn, the more confused I become. Just as soon as I think I make a decision, I change my mind. Cost is a huge factor here, too...

So here's a stupid question - are the lighter wheels more likely to bend if I hit a pothole?

Old 01-10-2007, 06:22 AM
rubyred3
4th Gear
well, its not that simple. . .

heavier wheels=more material=stronger

but!

lighter wheels=less unsprung weight=smaller impact force when you hit something

so, its kind of a balance. Another thing to realize, is that runflats contribute to the likelihood of bending a wheel, in that the sidewalls are so stiff, they transfer more of the impact force to the wheel, rather than absorbing it. In a 16" size though, you won't need to worry too much about bending wheels, even with lightweight wheels. If you're running something skinnier than a 35 series tire or (in the case of S-lites) running a REALLY heavy combo with runlfats, its something to worry about, but if you go to 16" (and a 45 series tire or taller) you'll be fine. . .

Old 01-10-2007, 06:24 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rubyred3
well, its not that simple. . .
heavier wheels=more material=stronger
but!
lighter wheels=less unsprung weight=smaller impact force when you hit something
so, its kind of a balance. Another thing to realize, is that runflats contribute to the likelihood of bending a wheel, in that the sidewalls are so stiff, they transfer more of the impact force to the wheel, rather than absorbing it. In a 16" size though, you won't need to worry too much about bending wheels, even with lightweight wheels. If you're running something skinnier than a 35 series tire or (in the case of S-lites) running a REALLY heavy combo with runlfats, its something to worry about, but if you go to 16" (and a 45 series tire or taller) you'll be fine. . .
Great description!! I am going 50 series....

Old 01-10-2007, 06:49 AM
rubyred3
4th Gear
if you got 50 series tires, you'll be more than fine with just about any lightweight wheel on the market, I'd stick with a reputable brand if for no other reason just so that if you DO have some incident that ruins a wheel, you can get a new one. Or you can do like paranoid ole me, and just buy 5 wheels (running 45 series tires on 15.3 lb 17" cast wheels though)

Old 01-10-2007, 07:27 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
My husband is ready to kill me as it is with how much I want to spend , so I think adding a 5th is out of the question. I'll have everyone know that I have NEVER curb rashed. Not even l l parking.

When you say "reputable" - could you give me a little guidance? Like do you think that anything on Tire Rack could be considered reputable? Which brands are your favs? I can't thank you enough for your help...

Old 01-10-2007, 12:20 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Anything TireRack sells is pretty good-to-excellent. Discount Tire has some on- and off-brand stuff but I've never been disappointed. Rota (manufacturer) is good, but they are typically knockoffs of other brands. OE wheels are almost always a decent solution, but are typically heavier and/or not as strong - "good enough", low-bidder OE type wheels.

The lighter-vs-heavier, stronger vs. weaker argument can get complex, as many lighter wheels get that way by using either forged aluminum (on very high-end wheels) or a different grade or heat-treatment of aluminum. Both forging and heat treating, as well as different types of casting, can produce lighter wheels that are ALSO stronger than, say, a heavy S-lite. Forging, though, generally results in wheel prices at $200+ per wheel(sometimes more than twice that).

I have some Tire Rack wheels (Sport Edition) on our Odyssey for snows that are lighter than the OE* wheels, pretty inexpensive, and have seen some pretty rough wintry roads and come through just fine... though we're running a 225/60/16 tire with a BUNCH more sidewall (4.5+ inches of sidewall!) than a Mini will ever see - but more vehicle weight as well.

If you already have wheels, take your time and find something you really like. I found some 17" BBS RKs on eBay for ~ $100 each that I absolutely LOVE, they're lighter and stronger than OE, have plenty of brake cooling and clearance, and IMHO look really good. Check the wheel-and-tire forum for guidelines on fitment and necessary offsets for a 4x100 (lug pattern) wheel that fits.

I hope it wasn't solely *I* who convinced you not to go with the Canovas - they're really sharp wheels, I just wanted to be sure you considered how well a sharp wheel matches your car. Sometimes a great looking hiking boot won't go with a great-looking tuxedo so well, y'know? Go with what YOU want (and within your budget), you're who matters!

Just to stir up trouble, as for someone not understanding the cost, isn't this the same guy who wanted you to sell the Mini? Kidding... let him know there is resale value in your current wheels/tires, and the net cost of your "new" wheel/tire combination will probably be lower than what you'd pay (retail, locally) for runflat tires alone, AND they'll come well mounted and balanced, AND it saves you the time spent going to the tire store and waiting while somebody unknown to you mounts and hopefully balances your wheels... AND... you get the ride and handling benefits of non-runflat tires (get a compressor, tire patch kit, and Slime for your boot if'n you're running non-runflats)...

Such a deal!

Good luck with whatever you do.

*OE - Original Equipment

Old 01-11-2007, 08:30 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
HAHAHA - Dixon, great memory. Yes, this is the same guy who wanted me to sell the MINI. HAHAHAHA

AND, I can turn in the Dunlop receipt to Goodyear where I work and they will give me a 25% rebate. So he knows that as well.

Now, it wasn't solely you. When I first saw the pic and posted it, I didn't think about the car itself, AND, I didn't look to see how heavy they were. But it was you that got me to double think. ;-)

I posted a poll - I narrowed it down to 4...

Old 01-11-2007, 12:22 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
:impatient NOOOOOoooooooo! It's YOUR car, not a Mini community decision!

However, I'm heading for the poll to register my vote.
You put the Ronal Bears in the poll, didn't you?

Old 01-11-2007, 12:26 PM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
AND the daisies!!! Aaaah, no.

No, it will still be my decision, and I think I have made it. Reluctantly. I am trying to justify something in my head. I'll let you know what I was thinking AFTER I make the purchase so I am not further influenced! HAHA