Tires, Wheels, & Brakes Discussion about wheels, tires, and brakes for the new MINI.

Turner studs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:53 PM
CynMini
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Turner studs?

I don't know how studs are measured. When they say 50mm, do they mean the whole length or just the part that sticks out of the hub? Are these Turner studs to long? I want to use them on 15 x 7", ET 40 Team Dynamics wheels with no spacers. And I'll be using the 5Zigen Nuts pictured. Its' ok if the studs stick out of my nuts a little, lol, but no more then 5mm.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:38 PM
70spop
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CynMini
I don't know how studs are measured. When they say 50mm, do they mean the whole length or just the part that sticks out of the hub? Are these Turner studs to long? I want to use them on 15 x 7", ET 40 Team Dynamics wheels with no spacers. And I'll be using the 5Zigen Nuts pictured. Its' ok if the studs stick out of my nuts a little, lol, but no more then 5mm.
I just ordered a set of the Turner 75mm studs the other night, as well as a set of Muteki nuts from TX Speedwerks, so I'll be able to give a better idea when I get them. I *believe* (making an educated guess - not positive) that the "50mm" studs are measured end to end, as the 75mm length is shown on that Turner diagram. The Turner studs would appear to only be 62mm (end of thread to end of thread) if you discount the unthreaded "starter" portion. Those lug nuts you pictured are pretty long - definitely longer than the Mutekis I ordered - so they'll cover a lot of thread. The pics of Misfitoy's wheels - he says his are 50mm, running 5mm spacers - make me think that the Turner studs should be fine with the longer lug nuts. His car looks like he's at the limit for how short a stud could be used with his set-up. With 5mm spacers or no spacers, the 50mm studs look like they're fine.

As I mentioned in an email to Jeff at TSW, I think the Turners (even with the 8mm spacers that I think I'm going to use) will probably be a little longer than ideal, but will still look cool. And, the nuts will be fully engaged with thread, which I think is a good thing. He mentioned that 65mm studs would be a perfect length. The 62mm threaded length of the Turners is close to that.

HTH

Old 01-30-2007, 05:52 AM
robino
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its' ok if the studs stick out of my nuts a little
i would hope your stud sticks past your nuts a little...otherwise, i feel for your ol' lady.